RX 580 possible power problem as it's not heating up

The usual no display, no fans spinning, and the GPU die not heating up. I bought an RX 580 for 8 USD and the owner said they bought in 2022, but it suddenly didn't show a display. I already tried using a different PC and different output ports and nothing. So I checked if the GPU die was even heating up and I'm not certain, but it felt very, very faintly warm.

So there's probably a power problem, but the problem is I'm not educated in diagnosing which exact electrical compotent on the GPU itself is causing the problem, does anyone have ideas? I could buy a multi-meter.

Besides that, I'd like this to be my first pratice piece for entering into the GPU, MOBO, etc repair hobby.

8 minutes ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

The usual no display, no fans spinning, and the GPU die not heating up. I bought an RX 580 for 8 USD and the owner said they bought in 2022, but it suddenly didn't show a display. I already tried using a different PC and different output ports and nothing. So I checked if the GPU die was even heating up and I'm not certain, but it felt very, very faintly warm.

So there's probably a power problem, but the problem is I'm not educated in diagnosing which exact electrical compotent on the GPU itself is causing the problem, does anyone have ideas? I could buy a multi-meter.

Besides that, I'd like this to be my first pratice piece for entering into the GPU, MOBO, etc repair hobby.

What is your PSU?

13 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Could try the old trick of putting it in the oven

Heard of that one, but an actual home oven? If so, what celsius and for how long?

Are there any risk though?

9 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

What is your PSU?

NZXT C850W Gold and the other is a Huntkey MVP K750W (it's B tier via culists network).

7 minutes ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

Are there any risk though

MANY.
So much toxic stuff in there and most people say that if you do this your oven will forever be contaminated by vaporized tin (not too too bad for you) and lead (pretty freaking bad for you) and thus should be done in a dedicated toaster oven and only ever outside

what celsius and for how long?

Recs seem to say 8min@195C after stripping it to bare PBC. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

12 minutes ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

Are there any risk though?

Yes, which is why it is often used as a last resort.

Apprentice Software Developer

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

MANY.
So much toxic stuff in there and most people say that if you do this your oven will forever be contaminated by vaporized tin (not too too bad for you) and lead (pretty freaking bad for you) and thus should be done in a dedicated toaster oven and only ever outside

Recs seem to say 8min@195C after stripping it to bare PBC. 

Does the oven method actually work? I did some reading and some people are saying it's only temporary fix that'll last either 2 days or 5 months.

Does the oven method actually work?

Sometimes. For a short time. If you're lucky. And that's assuming it's a cracked solder joint not a dead VBIOS or some other equally likely death. 
The real question is "is it worth it" to which the answer is "not even remotely" unless there are some SERIOUSLY mitigating circumstances like it's the only card that will work in a machine/assembly line that makes a significant amount of money. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

56 minutes ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

After installing a new GPU you can have a blank screen for awhile. A lot of people install the GPU without having any drivers for it. That will delay showing the display. Also many GPU's fans will not turn on until it reaches 55 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius. 

24 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Sometimes. For a short time. If you're lucky. And that's assuming it's a cracked solder joint not a dead VBIOS or some other equally likely death. 
The real question is "is it worth it" to which the answer is "not even remotely" unless there are some SERIOUSLY mitigating circumstances like it's the only card that will work in a machine/assembly line that makes a significant amount of money. 

In what sense is worth it? Is it to expensive in-regards to tools? Or just time and skills which I can happily invest.

Because I said earlier it's a good pratice piece to just start my GPU repair hobby or similar compotents.

4 minutes ago, BillBill said:

After installing a new GPU you can have a blank screen for awhile. A lot of people install the GPU without having any drivers for it. That will delay showing the display. Also many GPU's fans will not turn on until it reaches 55 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius. 

Ah is that so, I'll try check it tomorrow and let it settle for a while.I'll also check directly in Windows if it's even detected.

Posted (edited)

fixing the gpu self is not doable if you dont have expert electronic expert's or equipment.

could you passably learn to probe around the gpu to see if its working 🤷‍♂️ 

could some one fix it probly but cost more then the gpu its self so...

these gpus were heavy mined on new from 2022 dose not sound right im guessing they got it new to them but used from some one els.

i no moded bios i think can also make the ports not work and there a long proces of getting the bios off and re flashing it but i dont.

the oven can work just like other said depnds on the problem. not too hard to do just need to fallow a guide to do it and it can get sinky... but if its your last attempt then why not.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

start my GPU repair hobby

*That* is a heck of a hobby to start in on. 
If you are going down that road, you should start with a reflow station which will be far better than just a toaster.