Discord begins removing partnerships with servers that contain NSFW content and slurs

matrix07012

Remember what Hitler said:

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

7 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Remember what Hitler said:

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

I don't trust Snopes that much, but.....
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-control-quote/

https://archive.fo/Ei1LH

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

So back to Teamspeak for the Users it seems??

And FFXIV is the largest MMORPG right now. So if they piss of those users, you got a serious problem.....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

This has me concerned 

Look, I’m fine with cracking down on stuff made to cause disorder, hate speech or anything like that. What has me concerned is exactly what are the conditions that are grounds to have a partner status revoked?

Like can they differentiate between a serious tone or a joke that’s used to mock a movement or in a satirical manner? Can they differentiate between the different meanings of words used in context?

For partnered servers absolutely but for private servers people should be able to do what they want. 

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

For partnered servers absolutely but for private servers people should be able to do what they want. 

"For now".

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Discord has been removing messages in private servers for quite some time too.

Here is one example where they started banning right-wing servers last year, as well as servers where users critizised Discord for it. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/discord-nazi-white-supremacist-alt-right-ban-2017-8?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

42 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

private servers are not really private, discord has no true private servers.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

private servers are not really private, discord has no true private servers.

And thus we come to the reason Discord will be propped up for a while.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

And FFXIV is the largest MMORPG right now. So if they piss of those users, you got a serious problem.....

If I read the OP correctly, it isn't FFXIV that is directly impacted, it is the reddit FFXIV discord that is. I think you have bigger problems if you use reddit... I have no idea if Square have an official Discord. All my active friends play on PS4 so I have to use that to voice chat with them even if I'm on PC...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

45 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Here is one example where they started banning right-wing servers last year, as well as servers where users critizised Discord for it. 

you literally mean the nazi one? yeah i don't think anyone batted a eye nor gave two fucks they shut down a nazi website oh and i think that was the discord server that helped plan the Unite the Right rally, yeah fuck them thanks. 

e: if you're going to attempt to defend the unite the right rally, do it in my dms thank you

11 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

you literally mean the nazi one? yeah i don't think anyone batted a eye nor gave two fucks they shut down a nazi website oh and i think that was the discord server that helped plan the Unite the Right rally, yeah fuck them thanks. 

e: if you're going to attempt to defend the unite the right rally, do it in my dms thank you

Neo-nazi ponies? Sure...

The alt-right one wasn't the only one.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Been nice knowing ya Discord. 

Still can't believe they prioritized an April Fool's joke over adding features like bulk delete... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Is “This new guy is flipping retarded” considered the same as “Retard the timing at 6000RPM” to them?

Sonething something Rick and Morty quote.

Cross out 'flipping' and you've got a sentence that can either be used as an insult or as a genuine statement, but not the othet. Not that that really matters, the fixation isn't o  the context but the word itself, because algorithms can't determine context.

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

you literally mean the nazi one?

Nazis and the Alt-Right are not the same group, and have very little overlap.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Uhhhh, I wonder if they realize that the word “retard” can mean lots of different things with some context?

Like “You’re a retard” is completely different from “Let’s retard the ignition when 95 RON fuel is detected”

And what has me concerned is just how would they know exactly how it is used?

Slurs aren’t used much for insults these days. They’re used usually in a humorous fashion, for satire, even part of normal communication with someone whom you know so well.

Back to the whole “retard” thing, how would they know if it’s unsuitable? Just searching up how many time’s “retard” was brought up? Is “This new guy is flipping retarded” considered the same as “Retard the timing at 6000RPM” to them?

Yeah, AI / machine learning (and apparently some humans too) need to learn that a lot of words aren't always bad, just because they're a particular word, spelled/pronounced a certain way, etc.  I've heard of swear filters messing things up, for example ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

Also I can think of non-offensive meanings for some words that are commonly used in other ways, for example

• pussy = cat
  • Dick = nickname for Richard
  • cock = rooster (male chicken)
  • ass = donkey
  • gay = happy

I'm sure there's more, my non-existent brain's drawing a blank though.

I think I've even heard of the N-word being used in a totally benign / non-offensive way like 50-100+ years ago (long before I was born), I just don't remember the context so I wouldn't know how to google it just yet.

Just remembered a place name example:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

I can't think of them off the top of my head right now, but I think I've also heard of occasions where words that were considered very naughty like several centuries ago have completely different meanings today.  And I guess things could go the other way too.  Personally rather than ban certain words, I think the context, intent, etc. needs to be taken into account.

Also the word "piss" or variations of it is in the King James bible in several places.  I'd think if it was an offensive / inappropriate word, it wouldn't have been put in there.

5 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Yeah, AI / machine learning (and apparently some humans too) need to learn that a lot of words aren't always bad, just because they're a particular word, spelled/pronounced a certain way, etc. e.

It's funny. I was playing The Crew 2 and in the chat box, even words that aren't considered mildly offensive are censored. 

What's even funnier is that different countries use part of those terms in their language. Like "Gaytime" is how Australians describe an ice-cream made popular by the ice cream whose name is quite literally Golden Gaytime. 

Furthermore, some product names are just weird. Anyone want a Super Dickmann's? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

50 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It's funny. I was playing The Crew 2 and in the chat box, even words that aren't considered mildly offensive are censored. 

What's even funnier is that different countries use part of those terms in their language. Like "Gaytime" is how Australians describe an ice-cream made popular by the ice cream whose name is quite literally Golden Gaytime. 

The stupidest thing is that GTA Online censors anything vulgar in the chat even though NPCs swear regularly.

This video about Siege is great.

Spoiler

Retired:

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

So, roll back to the censors that games like PSO had during the Dreamcast era.

Some things that would be censored out in that game's chat where head scratchers at times though.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I mean how does this surprise anyone?

Discord was never intended to be a utopian "do whatever you want on our service" platform any more than Skype was, and definitely less so than even Telegram is.

It's a modernized community based chat service. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want a place where you can say and do whatever you want roll your own solution.

Any solution like this that's run by a company that has private or public investors isn't going to be allowed to have an "anything goes" mentality without the money getting spooked.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Discord was never intended to be a utopian "do whatever you want on our service" platform any more than Skype was, and definitely less so than even Telegram is.

It's a modernized community based chat service. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want a place where you can say and do whatever you want roll your own solution.

I think the problem isn’t the loss of the partner status per se.

It’s how unclear it is. The main gripe is that the server owners got an email warning them to remove offending material or risk deletion of their server. The owners and moderators complied quickly only to be slapped with an email saying that they lost their partnership status because the word “retard” was used around 4000 times.

I feel the problem is that this change was very recent and it’s unclear exactly what grounds are there to lose partner status, especially when some other partner servers have various slurs thrown about as well, and they are spared. It was a change made quickly without much notification.

56 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I feel the problem is that this change was very recent and it’s unclear exactly what grounds are there to lose partner status, especially when some other partner servers have various slurs thrown about as well, and they are spared. It was a change made quickly without much notification.

They probably weren't inclusive enough and just regular run off the mill Gamers, wich don't particularly like certain (outrage) ideologys, they just want to play their games - and left alone with shit from the so called "Real Life".

That is also something some people need to understand, that there is a group who just wants to be left alone and especially don't want to be harassed and inconvienienced with politics and and do their stuff.

But it seems that there are people who want to piss off these people and force them to go to the ballot boxes, so that they can vote for those peope, that want to leave them alone...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Why do these companies always cave so spinelessly when they get ridiculously popular

1 hour ago, Eaglerino said:

Why do these companies always cave so spinelessly when they get ridiculously popular

cause by today standards guilt by association and twitter backslashes are worse than jail for life or being waterboarded.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>