Paying for winrar  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used and payed for winrar in the last 10 years

• I use winrar and pay
    • The use winrar but don’t pay
    • I don’t use winrar. But would pay
    • I don’t use winrar. But I wouldn’t pay

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

been using winrar for years, but finally bought it a few months back. it;s a very nice program, and i feel like they definitely deserved the cash :P

I always feel pretty guilty about using it for free :(

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

Just curious 

Why use anything except 7zip these days?

10 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

7-zip; why use anything else?

This^

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

On the same note this is pretty sad...I know that like literally everyone here uses this software xD

https://www.patreon.com/wagnardsoft

I have never used this "Display Driver Uninstaller" nor do I plan to, so there..

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

On the same note this is pretty sad...I know that like literally everyone here uses this software xD

$22/month? Fuck that. I'd pay $22 or maybe $30 once for a lifetime license for software like DDU.

Welp I totally misunderstood that. They have 12 patrons at a total of $22/mo, if I read that correctly.

I see you can pledge $1, $5, or $10 or more.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have never used this "Display Driver Uninstaller" nor do I plan to, so there..

You've never used DDU when doing clean installs of display drivers? Then you sir are doing it wrong xD

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

$22/month? Fuck that. I'd pay $22 or maybe $30 once for a lifetime license for software like DDU.

Welp I totally misunderstood that. They have 12 patrons at a total of $22/mo, if I read that correctly.

I see you can pledge $1, $5, or $10 or more.

Yeah it's just the dev's patreon page lol.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I always feel pretty guilty about using it for free :(

No reason. The company allows that you use it for free

It's quite pointless this argue between what program is better, this is one of those few cases where personal preference is all there is to it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

You've never used DDU when doing clean installs of display drivers? Then you sir are doing it wrong xD

No, I have never had any need for such things. Personally, I feel that the people who use DDU are doing it wrong.

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I also never use DDU. I don't think I've ever actually used it. I just perform a standard uninstall. Or the odd time, I've used the first party driver uninstallation tool.

Never had cause to use DDU.

12 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

you can literally uninstall any drivers using the device manager and control panel

**7-Zip is way better than payrar.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Why would anyone pay for an inferior piece of software when 7z is free...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7-zip exists and I think it looks and works better than Winrar. The older Winrar has a nostalgic look to it though. I remember using it many years ago.

7zip, it's free and is a much superior software to WinRAR in terms of compression power.

The only ones who would still use WinRAR today, are either those who are unaware of the better free alternative out there or are just too stubborn to use anything else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Ouch... $22 USD a month for something major companies like EVGA recommend....

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

With AMD driver, uninstalling with DDU caused an issue when installing a new AMD driver that AMDs uninstaller you can get from the website (NOT built in the driver) didn't. Don't know if random or actually a thing.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

No, I have never had any need for such things. Personally, I feel that the people who use DDU are doing it wrong.

In most cases, you don't need to use DDU, and you shouldn't really have to. That being said, some issues can be resolved by using DDU because it goes deeper in removing anything left behind. 

It's not really about doing it wrong, but rather that some issues creep up and DDU can sometimes fix it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Winrar is good and has been forever. I paid for it just because of it's longevity and not to have to see the popup when I use it since It's my go to.. I never did like 7zip, too commercial as well as a bit bloated for my tastes..

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287