Paying for winrar

Paying for winrar  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used and payed for winrar in the last 10 years

• I use winrar and pay
    • The use winrar but don’t pay
    • I don’t use winrar. But would pay
    • I don’t use winrar. But I wouldn’t pay

Nah man, I'm all about that FOSS software and not particularly the freemium model WinRAR has. 7zip is much more logical.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I use winrar since forever, and never payed. I thought about paying it, because the pop up is always annoying  and well, they deserved the money... but then I saw the prices, and boy, no way. if it was a one time only purchase, fine... but it is like a subscription? wtf? and converting to my currency, it would be an absurd value.

Classic strategy of making the stuff "free" but charging high prices if you want to use on a professional environment...

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 hours ago, billstelling said:

Winrar is good and has been forever. I paid for it just because of it's longevity and not to have to see the popup when I use it since It's my go to.. I never did like 7zip, too commercial as well as a bit bloated for my tastes..

Too commercial and bloated?

How is 7zip too commercial? You install it and then it never ever asks you about money.

Also, the main client is (imho) less bloated than that of WinRAR, and I think I've only opened the client literally a handful of times, ever.

I only ever interact with 7zip through the context menu (right click), where you can do all the main things you'd typically do, such as create new zip file, or extract an existing zip file (including extract "here", extract to "here/zipfilename", and extract to target location).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've always wondered how many people actually buy it, if to just get rid of the stupid pop up every time you use it.

I imagine they had a lot more sales years ago when there was more things that required unpacking. I think I've only used it 2 or 3 times in the past few years, and those were for game mods.

1 hour ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

7-zip; why use anything else?

Edit- sorry for this low-quality post; I'd usually type more, but I think the post is pretty much self-explanatory to anyone familiar with 7-zip

Quantity doesn't equal quality ;)

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

been using winrar for years, but finally bought it a few months back. it;s a very nice program, and i feel like they definitely deserved the cash :P

Do you get anything for paying for it? Extra features? Or does it just get rid of that pop up?

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

You've never used DDU when doing clean installs of display drivers? Then you sir are doing it wrong xD

What reason would one have for uninstalling display drivers?

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

7zip, it's free and is a much superior software to WinRAR in terms of compression power.

The only ones who would still use WinRAR today, are either those who are unaware of the better free alternative out there or are just too stubborn to use anything else.

Or those that are lazy ;) Don't forget about us!

I forgot to add it to Ninite when I was installing all of my apps, and I use it so infrequently I just can't be bothered.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What reason would one have for uninstalling display drivers?

It's not like anyone ever needs to update them due to getting a newly released game or a new GPU...who does that amiright?

10 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

It's not like anyone ever needs to update them due to getting a newly released game or a new GPU...who does that amiright?

Isn't that what the update tool is for :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Isn't that what the update tool is for :P

Yeah because you can just update from AMD to nVidia or vice versa xD

Literally the first thing everyone suggests when someone has an issue with a new GPU or after installing a new driver version is to uninstall the previous drivers with DDU and then to reinstall them...have you never been in the GPU section lol?

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah because you can just update from AMD to nVidia or vice versa xD

Literally the first thing everyone suggests when someone has an issue with a new GPU or after installing a new driver version is to uninstall the previous drivers with DDU and then to reinstall them...have you never been in the GPU section lol?

1. Updating your GPU drivers to the newest version is typically a very quick and painless process. You should not need DDU to perform this relatively mundane task, unless there's something wrong with your install or system. Sure, this can happen, but this is not the norm.

2. Purchasing a new GPU is also not a very frequent thing. Furthermore, simply using the uninstallation function of your existing display driver software should be sufficient in all but the most rare cases. Again, sure, occasionally this can be an issue, but it is not the norm. Furthermore, using the first party driver uninstallation tools are usually sufficient.

Not saying there's anything wrong with using DDU. Many people like it, and occasionally it can indeed solve problems.

It is, however, certainly not necessary the vast majority of the time. Performing a simple driver update or brand switch (uninstall + install new competing driver) typically does not require this program.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)