Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, HTC, Asus & Hyundai were given 30 days to ditch warranty void stickers and change policies by the FTC, expires May 9th

Master Disaster

Some of you may remember the following article from a few weeks ago about the FTC saying Warranty Void Stickers are illegal...

In that article there was no specifics about which companies had received warning from the FTC, well today we've had an update on the situation with more information coming to light.

Turns out 6 companies received letters from the FTC over this issue, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Asus, HTC & Hyundai.

You don’t see a lot of places offering console repairs anymore, which isn’t surprising, as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have gone out of their way to discourage the practice. In fact, all three current consoles have “warranty void if removed” stickers or seals on or inside them to deter any sort of repairs or tinkering. Well, it turns out that’s illegal.

Per US law, no warranty on a product sold for over $5 dollars can put any restrictions on repairs. A lot of companies do, but it seems like the FTC has decided to actually enforce the law. In addition to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, Hyundai, ASUS, and HTC have also received the following warning:

The warning said

“This letter places you on notice that violations of the Warranty and FTC Acts may result in legal action.  FTC investigators have copied and preserved the online pages in question, and we plan to review your company’s written warranty and promotional materials after 30 days. You should review the Warranty and FTC Acts and if necessary, revise your practices to comply with the Acts’ requirements. By sending this letter, we do not waive the FTC’s right to take law enforcement action and seek appropriate injunctive and monetary remedies against your company based on past or future violations.”

The letters were sent out on April 9th meaning they have until May 9th to at least begin making these changes. Each company was sent a tailored letter outlining specific clauses that were Illegal (I'll add the link to the letters at the end)

The warnings were issued on April 9, meaning the companies have until May 9 to ditch the stickers and change their warranty policies. The FTC letters sent to Sony, Microsoft, and Sony (read them here) all specifically call out the parts of their warranties that prohibit repairs or the use of third-party peripherals. So, in addition to repairing your machine, you’re free to buy all the wacky accessories you want!

It’s good to see the FTC putting their foot down on this issue. The big console makers would, of course, prefer you just buy a new machine if yours breaks, but that shouldn’t be your only option. I doubt this will lead to a mom ‘n’ pop repair shop renaissance, but it’s the principle that matters.

https://wccftech.com/sony-microsoft-nintendo-warranty/

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4450186-Warning-Letters-FTC-April-2018.html

So by May 9th all these companies need to have altered their warranties to abide by US law.

I wonder what the penalty will be for non compliance (Nintendo I'm looking at you).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

giphy.gif

I think in the case of Hyundai it was more their warranty documentation than warranty void stickers although I'm not a mechanic so maybe they were putting stickers over their engine parts?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

About time! Maybe the other companies that were warned by the FTC will take the hint.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I think in the case of Hyundai it was more their warranty documentation than warranty void stickers although I'm not a mechanic so maybe they were putting stickers over their engine parts?

Someone should tell Honda to stop putting their starters beneath the motor where you can barely reach the damn thing!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

-snip-

Yeah, in more ways than one LOL

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

-snip-

Don’t they make lawn mowers or pressure washers? Unless there’s a “warranty void” sticker over the VIN locations.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Ah well, not in my country. I hope it makes it here, but I doubt.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

So how much impact does this really have in the grand scheme of things? And should we be expecting more companies to be receiving similar warnings?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Don’t they make lawn mowers or pressure washers? Unless there’s a “warranty void” sticker over the VIN locations.

Yeah, that's actually a good point.

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I checked Hyundai's letter and it seems as though their warranty policy contains the following clause

The use of genuine Hyundai parts is required to keep your manufacturers warranty and any extended warranty intact.

This seems to be the issue.

Hyundai also does manufacture some electric parts like headphones, I wonder would the letter also include those as well?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I checked Hyundai's letter and it seems as though their warranty policy contains the following clause

This seems to be the issue.

As a former warranty repair tech for CompUSA (yeah, it was a long time ago) I don't get why having that clause is a bad thing. In the case of Hyundai, what if some shadetree mechanic jackass decided to pull apart the engine and replace parts willy-nilly with third-party stuff then go "ERMEHGERD!!! IT NOES WORKZ!!!". Hyundai should eat that? I feel that sort of situation is opened up by this.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

16 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

As a former warranty repair tech for CompUSA (yeah, it was a long time ago) I don't get why having that clause is a bad thing. In the case of Hyundai, what if some shadetree mechanic jackass decided to pull apart the engine and replace parts willy-nilly with third-party stuff then go "ERMEHGERD!!! IT NOES WORKZ!!!". Hyundai should eat that? I feel that sort of situation is opened up by this.

The same issue applies for third party repairs, and if it turns out to cost manufacturers money in having to deal with shoddy repairs then I fully expect then to increases prices across the board to eat up that loss.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have feeling this is going to be taken to court. No way these companies are just gonna change it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

52 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Noticeably absent: John Deere...

Indeed

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

I believe warranties should be voidable by obvious destruction of product from the consumer.

But simple attempted repairs should be waived. The part was going to be replaced /anyway/

Perhaps the best part about this law is it will give incentive to build quality products that are less likely to fail.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

44 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

what if some shadetree mechanic jackass decided to pull apart the engine and replace parts willy-nilly with third-party stuff then go "ERMEHGERD!!! IT NOES WORKZ!!!". Hyundai should eat that? .

No.
All this says is that Hyundai can't just assume "some shadetree mechanic jackass decided to pull apart the engine and replace parts willy-nilly with third-party stuff" just because the vehicle was serviced. They are still not liable for any damage caused by the user or third party repairs. What they can't say is that your warranty is void because someone else dared to open the hood and look at it, or that they want cover your failing transmission because a thrid party repaired your seatbelt.

45 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

So, as a former warranty repair tech, do you believe that if presented with the equivalent of a engine 'pulled apart...and replaced parts willy-nilly with third-party stuff' that without a seeing a sticker having been removed that you would lack the necessary competency to determine that the the device has clearly been damaged in an attempted repair by the end user or unauthorised third party?

I'm just saying, if I take an iPhone, pull it apart, fill it with the screen from an Android phone and some freshly cooked up oatmeal, without a sticker, you'd believe that it left the factory in that state?

2 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

Noticeably absent: John Deere...

Johh Deere is a similar but different kettle of fish. JD's equipment uses DRM in their equipment computers that keeps their equipment from operating after a repair unless it has been repaired by or authorized by a John Deere mechanic rather than using warning sticker seals. Farmers are currently battling that in court.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Someone should tell Honda to stop putting their starters beneath the motor where you can barely reach the damn thing!

Just get someone with smaller hands. It wasn't made for you working on it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

0w0upz9.png

This made me laugh WAAAAAAY more than it should have done.

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Just get someone with smaller hands. It wasn't made for you working on it.

I have average hands. Honda decided to put the starter underneath the motor with a cover coming over it. I was trying to tap the thing to see if the car would start by lightly striking it. 

Spoiler

They were stuck and a jump didn't do anything. The starter was at fault in the end. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler