Windows 10 "Lean" Edition in the works

GoodBytes
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You strip out too much. How is People hub (which I assume, that is what you mean by "Contact") on the task bar causes any security issue or miss use?

It's not a security issue; it's just not suited for our higher ed. environment. People inevitably hook up their personal devices and before you know it, someone violates FERPA.

Besides, that instance isn't so much a "stripping out" as toggling a software switch. The stripping comes when we're pulling out pre-installed UWP apps.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

this install of Windows 10 is 2GB less than Windows 10 Pro.

2GB less.

100% worth it xD 

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

I run Windows 10 on my laptop in power saving mode, despite it having a 940mx and i5-7200u. I'd really like to reinstall Windows with this Lean edition since I don't seem to do much other than watch YouTube videos, do word processing, and browse these forums.

If this is option 1, that's great. Absolutely great! If this is option 2, it's going to be like Windows 8.1 all over again.

linux 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, it does allow Windows to be installed on a system with 16GB of storage and have a few GB free for updates and maybe Office, and a bit of data. Currently you need 32GB of storage. Think of low cost devices.

Don't we already have wimboot for low storage devices?

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

So, how Lean are you?

Guess I need some work honestly, trying to cut down on carbs right now. Thanks for asking

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

34 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

Speaking as an SCCM technician: This would be a godsend for making preconfigured task sequences. We currently have to manually strip out all the parts of Windows 10 that could be misused by end users or are otherwise not suited for a business environment (looking at you, contacts button on the taskbar...). With an image that has only the absolute core systems, we could then build up a task sequence that installs and configures exactly what we need much faster.

LTSB and GPO

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

LTSB and GPO

Of course we're using LTSB, and GP objects can only do so much. The stuff I'm doing is primarily for setting up master images to be deployed in PXE, so we want a clean slate to start.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Hmmm, interesting, this sure has my interest especially as the OS is very stripped down and can be built up.

I would not mind testing that W10 version on a F@H/BOINC rig.

37 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

Speaking as an SCCM technician: This would be a godsend for making preconfigured task sequences. We currently have to manually strip out all the parts of Windows 10 that could be misused by end users or are otherwise not suited for a business environment (looking at you, contacts button on the taskbar...). With an image that has only the absolute core systems, we could then build up a task sequence that installs and configures exactly what we need much faster.

No doubt.  I had the o so joy of doing a W10 roll out while down range.  The headaches and issues where ridiculous.    SCCM software was a nightmare to install (especially consider our network was on a sat link).  I can see the military going gaga over this version (would make building up the approved images a whole lot smoother).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

So, how large is the install of this version?

2GB sounds like very little space saved if they are already scraping the bottom of the barrel, removing stuff like regedit (which is about 300KB).

1 hour ago, Qub3d said:

or are otherwise not suited for a business environment (looking at you, contacts button on the taskbar...).

the irony in here.... they introduced this useless feature to actually make it "easier" to keep in contact with other people from the office, yet it seems everybody just disabled it as soon as they found out how... typical microsoft:P

Why, can they stop... with editions.

Either way, I was wondering if I could install W10 on my very old machine with 30GB HDD 1GHz single-core 1GB RAM machine from early XP days. 

Bit off topic, but after Redstone 4 build for Redstone 5 the all awaited Filed Explorer Dark mode will finally come!
fbc734e3-fcf4-40e6-b4bd-c129555a4272.jpg

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Remember when Microsoft said they're simplifying their product portfolio? Now we have Windows 10, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 S, Windows 10 Mobile (but not for much longer), Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 ARM and Windows 10 Lean.

Why?

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Why, can they stop... with editions.

Windows 10 Edition Edition!

Either way, I was wondering if I could install W10 on my very old machine with 30GB HDD 1GHz single-core 1GB RAM machine from early XP days. 

Most likely not. You have to remember that newer version of Windows, while lighter than previous versions (I mean Win7 vs Win10), it does use newer CPU instructions which your old CPU might be sucky at handling, or not support at all. The end result (assuming it installs), is that the performance will be potentially non-existent.

Bit off topic, but after Redstone 4 build for Redstone 5 the all awaited Filed Explorer Dark mode will finally come!

Hang on! That screenshot is fan made. It looks like this:

Windows-10-File-Explorer-Dark-Theme.jpg

So either it is just a background navigation pane error when the registry flag is set, or it has a lot of work to be done.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So, how Lean are you?

How much body fat did Windows 10 lost this time? I hope Windows 10 doesn’t skip leg day. ?

Spoiler

And by “body fat” I mean proprietary bloatware that no one uses and only cripples user experience. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Qub3d said:

Of course we're using LTSB, and GP objects can only do so much. The stuff I'm doing is primarily for setting up master images to be deployed in PXE, so we want a clean slate to start.

As you know GPO doesn't make the image smaller so having the smallest image possible to reduce deployment time is great. I really hate seeing people using SCCM and using legacy 'golden image' deployment style pushing out massive wims, why go through all the effort to get SCCM setup if you do that, might as well just stick with bare bones WDS.

Btw do you do a lot of your software installs as part of the deployment task sequence or do you do them as a post install via software advertisement? In the past I've done a bit of a hybrid where I do core stuff like Office in the TS but things like Adobe CS and AutoCAD as a post install (controlled of course to computers that actually need it). I personally prefer post install for the larger apps and ones that aren't core to keep the deployment TS run time as low as possible so the computer can be signed off and put aside or deployed.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 Edition Edition!

Most likely not. You have to remember that newer version of Windows, while lighter than previous versions (I mean Win7 vs Win10), it does use newer CPU instructions which your old CPU might be sucky at handling, or not support at all. The end result (assuming it installs), is that the performance will be potentially non-existent.

Hang on! That screenshot is fan made. It looks like this:

Windows-10-File-Explorer-Dark-Theme.jpg

So either it is just a background navigation pane error when the registry flag is set, or it has a lot of work to be done.

Yeah, probably would be sketchy W10 on such old hardware. I may try one day xD

There are definitely skins out there, though not native. And can be broken. This one was from https://hexus.net/tech/news/software/117482-imminent-windows-10-feature-update-dubbed-april-update/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Remember when Microsoft said they're simplifying their product portfolio? Now we have Windows 10, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 S, Windows 10 Mobile (but not for much longer), Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 ARM and Windows 10 Lean.

Why?

Actually it is:

- Windows 10 (32, 64) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro (32, 64, ARM) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (32, 64)

- Windows 10 Education

- Windows 10 Enterprise

- Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

- Windows 10 IoT

- Windows 10 Team (Surface Hub OS)

- Windows 10 S (will be discontinued and moved as a 'S Mode' feature on 10 and 10 Pro)

- Windows 10 Mobile (will be discontinued)

and of course, this one presented whatever the final name will be.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Actually it is:

- Windows 10 (32, 64) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro (32, 64, ARM) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (32, 64)

- Windows 10 Education

- Windows 10 Enterprise

- Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

- Windows 10 IoT

- Windows 10 Team (Surface Hub OS)

- Windows 10 S (will be discontinued and moved as a 'S Mode' feature on 10 and 10 Pro)

- Windows 10 Mobile (will be discontinued)

why tho

This reminds me of Tiny7 but still very bloated. 

but can it fit in a 700MB cd-rom?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but can it fit in a 700MB cd-rom?

Doubtful. Though Windows XP discs can be burned to a 700 MB CD. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

And yet still no version that doesn't come baked with fuckloads of telemetry and/or adware shit.   I wouldn't even dare run Windows 10 if I didn't have a router-level filter on all microsoft's domains.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

12 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And yet still no version that doesn't come baked with fuckloads of telemetry and/or adware shit.   I wouldn't even dare run Windows 10 if I didn't have a router-level filter on all microsoft's domains.

Well, based on Microsoft telemetry data, 100% of users on Windows 10 has telemetry enabled. So they clearly like telemetry data collecting. :D

Sorry stupid joke

31 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

why tho

To keep the filthy casuals in their place.

Also, because the reactions are funny.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You can make your own lean os with their automated installation kit. Just disable the functions you don't want, then rebuild the image file and replace the one you build with the original. Did one a while back on win7, turned everything off, I think I even managed to get it down to cd size. The os does install, when done it looks like win2k and nothing works. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list