Windows 10 "Lean" Edition in the works

GoodBytes
2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Btw do you do a lot of your software installs as part of the deployment task sequence or do you do them as a post install via software advertisement? In the past I've done a bit of a hybrid where I do core stuff like Office in the TS but things like Adobe CS and AutoCAD as a post install (controlled of course to computers that actually need it). I personally prefer post install for the larger apps and ones that aren't core to keep the deployment TS run time as low as possible so the computer can be signed off and put aside or deployed.

Its a mixed bag. For example: concerning adobe products, we've been pushing users to creative cloud, so I just push the CC app and let them download what they need from there. But in general we do a lot of our software post-install as software center assignments. This is because our departments have such wide use-cases. About the only software left in the task sequence is the office suite.

I know its all getting long in the tooth -- our Mac side of the house just moved to zero-touch deploys with Jamf, and we feel a little jealous. There is a team working on a new implementation of software assignment using the AppsAnywhere platform; the hope is that our vendor can supply our PCs with a single stock image and we can let these newfangled virtualized apps do everything.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

4 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Its a mixed bag. For example: concerning adobe products, we've been pushing users to creative cloud, so I just push the CC app and let them download what they need from there. But in general we do a lot of our software post-install as software center assignments. This is because our departments have such wide use-cases. About the only software left in the task sequence is the office suite.

I know its all getting long in the tooth -- our Mac side of the house just moved to zero-touch deploys with Jamf, and we feel a little jealous. There is a team working on a new implementation of software assignment using the AppsAnywhere platform; the hope is that our vendor can supply our PCs with a single stock image and we can let these newfangled virtualized apps do everything.

Sounds like the exact same setup and deployment process, SCCM and Jamf here too :).

I used to create a device collection for every application and tie that to an AD security group then every machine account was a member of that security group that needed the software. After OS deployment and first check in with SCCM it would kick off the software advertisements. I also wrote a custom migration script that could in bulk or single computer create the new AD machine account, SCCM device record, add it to the imaging device collection, add all the AD security groups from the old device and print out custom labels with the info of where it needs to go and what the old computer asset number is. Oh and for staff computers it will also create the USMT device migration association in SCCM so when you imaged the new device it had the profiles and data already on it. Loved that script, saved so much time as we normally do around 300+ computers at a time. This was all back in like 2012 though.

You might be interested in this, don't know a lot about it as I'm not in desktop management role anymore. Sounds a lot like Jamf/Apple device enrollment.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/06/29/modernizing-windows-deployment-with-windows-autopilot/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-autopilot/windows-10-autopilot

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/add-profile-to-devices

This is clearly not for consumers, it could be good for sysadmins rolling out system images to hundreds of machines.

Why the hell is cortana in this though...? They removed freaking WALLPAPERS and they left in cortana... which I'm sure takes a lot more disk space and occupies system resources for nothing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually it is:

- Windows 10 (32, 64) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro (32, 64, ARM) with N and KN variant for Europe

- Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (32, 64)

- Windows 10 Education

- Windows 10 Enterprise

- Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

- Windows 10 IoT

- Windows 10 Team (Surface Hub OS)

- Windows 10 S (will be discontinued and moved as a 'S Mode' feature on 10 and 10 Pro)

- Windows 10 Mobile (will be discontinued)

and of course, this one presented whatever the final name will be.

Microsoft said they're killing off Windows 10 Education and just giving Education users the PRO version.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 hours ago, BuckGup said:

How about remove cortana, the microsoft store, and all that garbage bloatware like candy crush and 3D paint no one uses. 

MS Response: How about use those finger other than clicking to explicit site and holding that sausage and remove them ya self 

Just to clarify this is just a joke I don't mean anything towards ya 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

52 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft said they're killing off Windows 10 Education and just giving Education users the PRO version.

Which is actually a downgrade as Education edition is Enterprise edition minus Cortana, yea Education doesn't have Cortana.

Just now, leadeater said:

Which is actually a downgrade as Education edition is Enterprise edition minus Cortana, yea Education doesn't have Cortana.

Yup. Idk why they're not giving them Enterprise Edition.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Mostly it doesn't matter but Pro doesn't have Applocker and I've deployed that at every school I've done work at, it's an extremely useful security feature which is very applicable to schools. Direct Access also isn't in Pro but I've deployed that far less so I don't see that as a big deal.

Not sure why they don't just give Enterprise, it's not like it actually costs Microsoft any different to giving Pro.

A lot of schools that I have been to have made use of Enterprise over education, don't know if there a massive cost difference between the two. This was also for 7 so I don't know how much difference they are between the two. 

On the topic of a "lean" windows edition, I would love to have a stripped-down edition of Windows, the only issue is that with the current one that has been shown is that it still has to much extra stuff that I don't need. Then again I don't really think this one is for consumers.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Mostly it doesn't matter but Pro doesn't have Applocker and I've deployed that at every school I've done work at, it's an extremely useful security feature which is very applicable to schools. Direct Access also isn't in Pro but I've deployed that far less so I don't see that as a big deal.

Not sure why they don't just give Enterprise, it's not like it actually costs Microsoft any different to giving Pro.

<Joke>

Somewhere In Microsoft

Boss: We gotta stop handing out Education licenses cos we have too many SKUs of Windows to manage.

Employeee 1: But what about all those students using our Education Edition?

Employee 2: Yeah man, think of the children.

Boss: Well we could hand out those Enterprise Licenses since that's basically just what Education Edition is anyway.

Employee 1: But what about all of the lost revenue we could get squeeze from students and IT Admins upgrading to Enterprise?

Employee 2: We could give them Pro, make them feel special and then generate all the revenue when they decide to upgrade to Enterprise cos we know Pro really isn't suitable.

Boss: Genius! We gotta implement this. Coporate and our investors are gonna be so happy!

</Joke>

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

<Joke>

Somewhere In Microsoft

Boss: We gotta stop handing out Education licenses cos we have too many SKUs of Windows to manage.

Employeee 1: But what about all those students using our Education Edition?

Employee 2: Yeah man, think of the children.

Boss: Well we could hand out those Enterprise Licenses since that's basically just what Education Edition is anyway.

Employee 1: But what about all of the lost revenue we could get squeeze from students and IT Admins upgrading to Enterprise?

Employee 2: We could give them Pro, make them feel special and then generate all the revenue when they decide to upgrade to Enterprise cos we know Pro really isn't suitable.

Boss: Genius! We gotta implement this. Coporate and our investors are gonna be really happy!

</Joke>

I think this is malformed XML if I'm not mistaken :P

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

That is idiotic. Each student will need to buy a second computer and Windows Server license, just to get the Enterprise edition to activate.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

That is idiotic. Each student will need to buy a second computer and Windows Server license, just to get the Enterprise edition to activate.

Education edition isn't actually for students at all, you can only get it through Education Volume Licensing and is for educational institutions to put on devices owned by them. You don't need Windows Server to activate it though, MAK is used for standalone activation for off network devices (permanent off network not laptops). You would use KMS for on network devices but you need a minimum of 25 desktop operating systems to report in to the KMS server or 5 server operating systems before any activation is allowed.

That's why it's called Education edition and not Student edition and is near feature parity to Enterprise edition.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Education edition isn't actually for students at all, you can only get it through Education Volume Licensing and is for educational institutions to put on devices owned by them. You don't need Windows Server to activate it though, MAK is used for standalone activation for off network devices (permanent off network not laptops). You would use KMS for on network devices but you need a minimum of 25 desktop operating systems to report in to the KMS server or 5 server operating systems before any activation is allowed.

That's why it's called Education edition and not Student edition and is near feature parity to Enterprise edition.

Students can get a single Education SKU license from Imagine/Dreamspark. That's whats running on my personal laptop right now.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

On 4/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, Hiitchy said:

I run Windows 10 on my laptop in power saving mode, despite it having a 940mx and i5-7200u. I'd really like to reinstall Windows with this Lean edition since I don't seem to do much other than watch YouTube videos, do word processing, and browse these forums.

If this is option 1, that's great. Absolutely great! If this is option 2, it's going to be like Windows 8.1 all over again.

install Linux, for that is much better.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

install Linux, for that is much better.

I’m thinking of dual booting with a separate partition in the off chance I want to play a few games. Good idea or nah?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

25 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I’m thinking of dual booting with a separate partition in the off chance I want to play a few games. Good idea or nah?

you could do it, but if you want to game stick with windows.