STOP GPU ABUSE! #GPURESCUE By Corsair

Guanzo

it aint april yet.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It is the thirtieth of March, so way too early.

This is pure gold

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

*sniff* so emotional *wipes away tears*

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Not like they sell graphics cards at all, they can say whatever marketing team wants.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Ok, I will bite.

I am both a gamer and a miner and I can tell you this...

When it comes to what is harder on my cards.. gaming is by far harder on them.

Why? Well let me list a few ways gaming is bad on cards

• Thermal Cycling (idle to gaming then back to idle) This causes micro fractures in the solder on these cards
  • Games are more physically demanding on the card.
  • Gaming cards are often overclocked and overvolted to achieve this.

Things to know about mining cards.

• Maintain a constant temp for long periods of time (less thermal cycling)
  • Mining is much less demanding on a card because it is mainly just crunching numbers
  • Mining cards run custom bios that boost their ability to crunch numbers while also undervolting the cards (reducing heat) so that they are more efficient and make for better profits.

Now there are some people out there that miss treat their mining cards, but anyone that is serious about it and actually making a dent in the card market is doing what I say above. You could run out and pick up a card used for mining for 2 years.. toss the original bios on it and run it without issue or worry that it would die faster than any other card. Buying a card from a gamer is actually much more risky because you don't know how far or long they pushed those cards or how much thermal cycling has degraded the solder.

On top of that a miner utilizes the card much better and in the end isn't that what the card wants? Maybe you should be focusing more on the abused gaming cards.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

This is great LOL.

Bitcoin accepted as payment at the end of the vid.  xD

Yeah, that's the first big LOL moment I had in a while...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Oh the Bitcoin sign at the end! Golden

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

28 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

-Snip.-

I'd say for all intents and purposes, both use cases are equally punishing to a graphics card.

Higher temperatures reduce the lifespan of electronics. The rule of thumb is reduce the life by half every 10C you subject it to. And it's not just the GPU, but all of the other components around it, especially hot spots like the VRMs. Granted there's no real study on how long these are supposed to last, but higher operational temperature still has an impact on the lifespan of the component. Thermal cycling is more of a mechanical issue which can still be mitigated.

I also don't buy the reason the "games are more stressful than mining" To the GPU, a workload is a workload. It's crunching numbers regardless of what those numbers really mean in the end. If mining is less stressful, it's not utilizing the GPU to its fullest. Which doesn't make sense to me when mining is about getting as much work done as possible. The only part that wouldn't be stressful is mining is it's likely not use VRAM as much depending on the algorithm, and fewer VRAM transfers is less stressful technically overall, but if we're just looking at the GPU, they both should be the same.

Overclocking is a thermal issue. Overvolting does have some impact on usable life as well in that it allows for higher amounts of current to go through (which might be a cause of electromigration), but between the two of these, they're both mostly a thermal issue. And again, I haven't found a study that discusses the usable life of components so it's all indefinite at this point.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd say for all intents and purposes, both use cases are equally punishing to a graphics card.

Higher temperatures reduce the lifespan of electronics. The rule of thumb is reduce the life by half every 10C you subject it to. And it's not just the GPU, but all of the other components around it, especially hot spots like the VRMs. Granted there's no real study on how long these are supposed to last, but higher operational temperature still has an impact on the lifespan of the component. Thermal cycling is more of a mechanical issue which can still be mitigated.

I also don't buy the reason the "games are more stressful than mining" To the GPU, a workload is a workload. It's crunching numbers regardless of what those numbers really mean in the end. If mining is less stressful, it's not utilizing the GPU to its fullest. Which doesn't make sense to me when mining is about getting as much work done as possible. The only part that wouldn't be stressful is mining is it's likely not use VRAM as much depending on the algorithm, and fewer VRAM transfers is less stressful technically overall, but if we're just looking at the GPU, they both should be the same.

Overclocking is a thermal issue. Overvolting does have some impact on usable life as well in that it allows for higher amounts of current to go through (which might be a cause of electromigration), but between the two of these, they're both mostly a thermal issue. And again, I haven't found a study that discusses the usable life of components so it's all indefinite at this point.

The reason  I say it is less of a workload than gaming is that you can see a clear temp difference with stock settings between the two.

If I am running a demanding game I might see temps on a card hit 75-80c

When I run the card full out mining I might see temps in the 55-60c range

The way numbers are crunched or the things being processed does change drastically between the two. GPU's might not have as many as say a cpu, but they do have instruction sets. For example try running a stress test on a cpu with avx off and then with it on... you will see a huge power draw and temp difference. That is how it works for mining vs gaming.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Not like they sell graphics cards at all, they can say whatever marketing team wants.

Corsair does sell cards though, partnered with MSI

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

The reason  I say it is less of a workload than gaming is that you can see a clear temp difference with stock settings between the two.

The way numbers are crunched or the things being processed does change drastically between the two. GPU's might not have as many as say a cpu, but they do have instruction sets. For example try running a stress test on a cpu with avx off and then with it on... you will see a huge power draw and temp difference. That is how it works for mining vs gaming.

And the fact that many miners run both a power likit and a fan speed set, but the core isn’t even the most damaged thing in a card, its the power components, which are put under less stress running mining at a 70% limit 24/7, then gaming at 156% with gpu boost pulling obscenious amounts of power,  all very good points

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

The heat from the CPU is making the GPU hotter while gaming.

Also the different crypto algorithms affect how much heat is actually produced, some cause a lot more heat than others.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You're also running the card, if I read your previous post correctly, undervolted and possibly not boosted, both which have a direct impact on the operating temperature.

AVX also causes a larger power draw and temperature difference because for some reason it boosts the processor's voltage. I can't find a reason why AVX needs to do this to operate, other than AVX is a SIMD instruction set for crunching large sets of numbers (so it needs more voltage to open the floodgates?)... which is what a GPU is supposed to do anyway.

Nope, I abuse my GPUs.  Not stopping it either.

:P   Though, I vary the abuse from a bit of gaming, benching, F@H, BOINC (PrimeGrid can make big amount of heat), and a bit of mining once and awhile.  Or, for giggles make it do render tests.  Great space heaters in winter.  Though, I do miss my Fermis, those could heat a house.

Interestingly enough, I only so far lost hardware to folding and BOINC.  Had a OG Titan go belly up while folding, had a PSU go off in a loud flashy bang, and now a 5960X that decided to no longer boot.  I did a temperature compare one time.  Mining barely gets my hardware hot compare to gaming or when folding/BOINC.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

yall be silly.  miners are treating their cards like a baby, while gamers are overclocking them to make computer games look 2% better

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Am I the only gamer that doesn't overclock his GPU? It runs my games just fine.

Also anyone can kill a graphics card faster by not doing maintenance and getting rid of heat. A computer running all the time seems to always collect exponentially more dirt than one that is used and shut down...

I did find it hilarious at the end of the video they would accept bitcoin. Great April fools video Corsair!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Now there are some people out there that miss treat their mining cards, but anyone that is serious about it and actually making a dent in the card market is doing what I say above. You could run out and pick up a card used for mining for 2 years.. toss the original bios on it and run it without issue or worry that it would die faster than any other card. Buying a card from a gamer is actually much more risky because you don't know how far or long they pushed those cards or how much thermal cycling has degraded the solder.

On top of that a miner utilizes the card much better and in the end isn't that what the card wants? Maybe you should be focusing more on the abused gaming cards.

Is thermal cycling still really a thing for the gpu itself? I haven't seen many cards fail due to bad solder contacts between the gpu and pcb in quite a while.

Games aren't using the card 24/7 wearing out the fans and putting wear on the capacitors,mining is more intensive on the memory which has limited write cycles.

Most gamers are going to use the card for a few hours and let it idle or power it off for the night if the system is just for gaming.

Personally I haven't seen the need to actually overclock a GPU when GPU boost does enough with the core clock, anything more manually is a few fps.

Most miners are probably going to skim through a reddit post and throw a mining rig together, but either way most are going to lie about what they used the card for. I've seen plenty of ebay listings where the seller has a pile of GPU boxes or multiple listings of the same card but says "it was never used for bitcoin mining".

21 minutes ago, minervx said:

yall be silly.  miners are treating their cards like a baby, while gamers are overclocking them to make computer games look 2% better

How are miners babying their cards when they run them 24/7 while wearing out the fans and VRAM? Most gamers I know of take it out of the box and use it, at most using the software tool it comes with that has the auto "superclock" feature overclocking the card another 80Mhz or so.

9 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Am I the only gamer that doesn't overclock his GPU? It runs my games just fine.

I probably could run games at stock settings on my 780, but I overclocked it just to help it along. It is after all, 3 generations old. Holds up pretty well in most of the games I play at 1080p Medium except for PUBG....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

30 minutes ago, minervx said:

Lol, I overclcoked the shit out of a 1050 ti, i really needed that extra 5 fps

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S