How can i become a more valuable member of this forum?

6 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Greetings!

<enter>

As im I'm nearing 1000 posts ive I've been wondering "hmm I'm not the best or rather helpful?" And When I post something it's usually badly done and bare. and Everyone who reads my trash probably wonders "how can I delete some else's account?"

And I don't want to stay like this forever, so please tell me how I can change! I want to make my 1000th post my best post ever. 

So tell me, how can i improve?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Proper punctuation and grammar is a great place to start. It'll also help you out in life. I've corrected you're above post. Before you say "it's just a forum, it doesn't matter." It does. It'll trickle into your daily life, and unless you're doing very menial labor jobs, it's necessary.

Others have pointed out some obvious ones. If you're providing advice, know what you're talking about. Don't know the answer? Go look it up. There's nothing wrong with learning something yourself in the pursuit of helping others. If you're giving your opinion on something, make sure you express it as such, and not fact.

If you want people to take you more seriously, maybe change your location. 6969 Cool street screams "I'm in grade 7, take what I say with copious amounts of salt."

Every member of the community is valuable in one way or another. Except Patrick. That guy was an arrogant dick. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, spwath said:

I'm at over 17,000 posts and I'm not sure what I have done that is that valueable.

Hahaha, x2. As I approach 20k I wonder what exactly I've done with all that time.

Not a hell of a lot. Which is why 20k will mark an extremely drastic reduction in community involvement for me.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is not really "how to be a good poster" as much as it is "how to not be a bad poster", but to me it seems like a lot of people post for the sake of posting, even if they have no new information or interesting take on something.

I think it's better to have 100 posts which are all high quality, helpful and insightful, than 1000 posts just saying "I agree", "I don't know" or just repeating what everyone else have already said (although in some cases repeating can be helpful). 

There is no shame in just reading a topic without responding to it. 

If you do, you might learn something and can contribute the next time the topic gets brought up.

Develop your knowledge about tech by watching videos, reading tech related articles and most of all do your own research by comparing hardware. See what people are asking about mostly and what of help you would be. Be resourceful and straight to the point.

Be confident and don't be ashamed of making mistakes, you are a learner! Since the inquiry triggered your mind, you are about to make serious decisions and resolutions to maintain your activity.

14 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

And when i post something its usually badly done and bare. and everyone who reads my trash probably wonders "How can i delete some else account?"

why is my entire account summed up by this.

tbh I always have wondered whether or not I'm really that helpful or useful here, I wonder whether I have actually helped them with there problems and I would like to help them, but I honestly alot of the time don't know who, so I can sympathize with that.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I will tell you that there is only one account which I have ever wished I could vote for deletion on. It is a rather new account but the person seems to contribute nothing and only shitpost. This person has also demonstrated an inability to abide by the Community Standards even after being informed of them by mods multiple times. (Don't ask who it is, I don't want to backseat moderate). I shouldn't complain too much though: I'm sure I've derailed my fair share of threads. So I guess my first piece of advice is "don't be that guy".

My second piece of advice would be: This forum has a WYSIWYG editor. It is pretty fully featured (although I wish that it had tables). Using it to properly format and edit your posts will make your posts more readable, and the more readable your posts are, the better people will be able to understand them. 

The third piece of advice would be to not be afraid of learning. I have learned many things from this forum, both from other people who already knew them, and from studying them for people who were asking questions about them. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I don't know whoever has the most Post's wins. I don't know shitpost, throw out there what you have learned and or picked up over the years. 

I learned a lot in School, Programs that were all IT and very hardware like etc old school. So it's always educational. 

Don’t know but I will commemorate my 1,000th post with a post commerating that I posted my 1,000th post.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, v0nn_toaster said:

Stop thread dumping ;) ... all your recent threads were posted in the General discussion section, that section isn't for troubleshooting problems or for asking questions about CPU, motherboards or GPU, we have sections for all of these.

BTW, I only replied because you asked, and that applies to everyone, not just you. :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 3/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, v0nn_toaster said:

Greetings!

As im nearing 1000 posts ive been wondering "hmm I'm not the best or rather helpful" And when i post something its usually badly done and bare. and everyone who reads my trash probably wonders "How can i delete some else account?"

And i dont want to stay like this forever, so please tell me how i can change! I want to make my 1000th post my best post ever. 

Any input is greatly appreciated!

If you figure it out, please let me know, I don't know enough to be useful (thus the name) so all I do is lurk the Off Topic section.

and Moderators/Administrators/Important People: Please don't make people deleting others' accounts a feature, I rather enjoy being here.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

How can i become a more valuable member of this forum?

funny

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hmmm, direct answers to direct questions...

Define first "valuable" in this context for yourself:

- Valuable to whom? LTT? the other members in general or those with technical or non-technical (!?!?) questions/problems/subjects etc?

- What value? Forum to become better by your posts, and in what way? Informative/helpful? fun? keeping discussions flowing?

- Role? is it some "badge" you're after?

In generic its just: think before you write something, has your point already been said, does your input alter other replies on a subject enough to warrant even posting? A lot can be chalked up onto "mindless noise". I've been there, I've been on forums where I've had over 20k replies.

The number doesn't mean any, it just means you've been this active on this forum for so much since you started.

So, only you can define what more valuable means. Each of the different answers you could make up for that has their own path to follow. The way the question was formed was more a hidden quest for making sure that the time you sunk into it was for some "use" to something is my guess. To that I can say: you could have used your time in other ways, so make sure that what triggered you for each of your next replies, is some you deem worthy of a reply.

2 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

and Moderators/Administrators/Important People: Please don't make people deleting others' accounts a feature, I rather enjoy being here.

Feature is in playtesting ;)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:36 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

My honest opinion would be to:

• Be a good member in general. Follow the rules.
  • Be well-informed on what goes into your posts so you're not just typing what's possibly true or false, find out if it is.
  • Do research on a topic you're passionate about, and help people with that topic whenever possible. For me, it's usually troubleshooting and build planning. Just some of the things I do well in.

There's probably a bit more than that, but that's all I can think of right now.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's pretty much my exact philosophy.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Feature is in playtesting ;)

the Banning game, I know it well, Let's hope it doesn't get implemented. . . 

And does ANYONE know where that thumbnail is coming from?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

11 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

the Banning game, I know it well, Let's hope it doesn't get implemented. . . 

And does ANYONE know where that thumbnail is coming from?

Isn't that @ARikozuM's old pfp in the back?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Isn't that @ARikozuM's old pfp in the back?

It is not. Mine olde was a modest “G” with “Grammar Nazi” written below. Also, we’re not measured by nor represented by carnal facades but by the merit of our treatises. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The best advice I can offer is educate yourself.

Find a question someone has and search it (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.). You'd be surprised how many people ask for help on the forum and a 5 second web search holds their answer. I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but if you don't help yourself before looking to others then you're not really learning anything.

So when people have questions, search for an answer online. You'll learn things along the way and that's a meaningful 1000th post.

Except for when you give them the wrong answer and everyone on the forum pounces on you to let you know you were wrong. That's not a great 1000th post.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Except for when you give them the wrong answer and everyone on the forum pounces on you to let you know you were wrong.

I'd argue this is a huge issue. It's tempting to hit that quote button and go off on how knowledgeable you are on the subject. But is that really productive? If the topic is OP asking a question, answer the OP's question.

EDIT: Something of an example of what I mean

OP > I want to get this Brand X hard drive, is it good?

Person 1 > lol no, brand x sucks, always had a problem with them

Person 2 > [Quoted person 1] no, ur wrong, brand x is great

(cue the next dozen posts between Person 1 and 2 arguing why Brand X sucks or is good)

But if you really want to tell a person they're wrong, don't just tell them "you're wrong" and leave it at that. That's also not productive. Explain yourself. Also do so in a not-condescending manner please.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd argue this is a huge issue. It's tempting to hit that quote button and go off on how knowledgeable you are on the subject. But is that really productive? If the topic is OP asking a question, answer the OP's question.

But if you really want to tell a person they're wrong, don't just tell them "you're wrong" and leave it at that. That's also not productive. Explain yourself. Also do so in a not-condescending manner please.

The angle you're coming from is opinion based arguments. People disagreeing with other peoples opinions which I'm not on the forum often enough to see much of that but I have seen it just a little bit. For example like in a different topic not long ago someone wanted to pick up a programming language, any of them. You better bet that started a flame war and I think an Admin shut it down (locked) since OP's question was answered within the first page.

What I'm talking about is factual data. Providing misinformation about a piece of hardware, software, or service. I can use myself as an example. On more than one occasion I've provided inaccurate information to forum members about FreeNAS in how certain features and functions of the OS work such as how ZFS handles power failures, how it doesn't actually depend on ECC memory like I thought, and how 1GB of RAM per TB of storage is a complete misconception. Members who have corrected me include leadeater, Electronics Wizardry, and others who's names I don't recall.

Most of the people including the two above just explain to me that I'm wrong and inform me how it does work, it's a quick way of learning for OP & for me to give the correct answer the next time around. However there are MANY of the type of people who see your wrong answer and take it offensively like it's a personal insult to them and they just UNLEASH their frustration in you, adding no real useful information other than saying "You're wrong!". It's so childish and more than annoying. People like that get blacklisted.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

However there are MANY of the type of people who see your wrong answer and take it offensively like it's a personal insult to them and they just UNLEASH their frustration in you, adding no real useful information other than saying "You're wrong!". It's so childish and more than annoying. People like that get blacklisted.

If you do want to explain something factual to someone, then it works both ways as far as attitude goes. If you come off as snobby ("I'm an expert!", okay, cool story bro), personally attack the person ("omfg you're dumb"), or litter your post with strong language ("this is so fucking wrong"), then don't be surprised if people take offense.

Presenting a person's view of the world as wrong is stressful for that person no matter how open minded they claim to be, and being a dick about it isn't going to make it better.

(Also the usage of "you" is anyone in general, not specifically the person I quoted)

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Presenting a person's view of the world as wrong is stressful for that person no matter how open minded they claim to be, and being a dick about it isn't going to make it better.

The old phrase "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all." could be adapted to suit this issue. "If you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say anything at all."

A similar phrase is "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem." This could be used to represent that if all you're doing is instigating an argument then don't say anything because it will ultimately lead to nothing.

Really if I provide misinformation and someone just tells me "You're wrong" particularly if they include vulgar language as if to make their point more apparent without adding any real information to back up their claim then I don't even bother replying because as I stated just a bit ago it goes nowhere. Those types of conversations never have good outcomes you'll walk away feeling worse than when you went in so just don't even go there/get involved.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Really if I provide misinformation and someone just tells me "You're wrong" particularly if they include vulgar language as if to make their point more apparent without adding any real information to back up their claim then I don't even bother replying because as I stated just a bit ago it goes nowhere. Those types of conversations never have good outcomes you'll walk away feeling worse than when you went in so just don't even go there/get involved.

At best I might take their reply into consideration after filtering the crap, but they don't really get a response. No matter what I do, acknowledging the person only reinforces the behavior.