Build Plan Thread Recommendations (Please read before posting)

I figured I'd make this thread to make life easier for people to give advice and feedback on your proposed system. If you add these simple answers it means we don't have to ask you all this before we can give you answers :)

1. Budget & Location

You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget, but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD etc.

2. Aim

What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need various levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors

How many monitors do you plan to use? Do you plan to add more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors etc. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

Please, No Dream Builds

We are here to assist you in recommending parts for real world builds.

Please copy and paste the major dot points into your thread as it makes it easier for us to give you better feedback.

Have fun and keep building :)

Edited by SansVarnic

Maybe list a preference of case? Cases are a very personal decision, or just list that you don't care for how it looks.

Otherwise it's a very helpful guide :) Cheers!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

We have something similar to this in some other forums I visit. It's also pretty helpful to know if they're reusing any parts, whether they want crossfire/sli and to what extent they'll be overclocking, if any.

Maybe list a preference of case? Cases are a very personal decision' date=' or just list that you don't care for how it looks. Otherwise it's a very helpful guide :) Cheers! [/quote']

We have something similar to this in some other forums I visit. It's also pretty helpful to know if they're reusing any parts' date=' whether they want crossfire/sli and to what extent they'll be overclocking, if any.[/quote']

In general, it's good if they can list any of the aforementioned, as well as any information that may be relevant.

Leaving out pieces of information such as old components you can reuse is not a good idea.

It's good to know if they have any preferences towards a company or product. That comes up pretty often when I browse through forums.

Sorry dude, there will be no biased opinions on these rigs.

We should always push to what's best for the money regardless of brand fanboyism.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

*snip* P.S - let me know if I've missed something vital

Might be a good idea to setup a template of some sort that people can copy&paste and then edit as required.

I'll PM you a suggestion

*snip* P.S - let me know if I've missed something vital
Might be a good idea to setup a template of some sort that people can copy&paste and then edit as required. I'll PM you a suggestion

ehh no need. easy enough to highlight and delete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If you're aim is for gaming

you aim for gaming*

your aim is gaming*

you're aiming for gaming*

My bad - wrote it on an iPad and it always does that to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Man, if only you made this thread a bit sooner, I dun goofed up many of those guidelines when I made my thread a few days ago. Guess that's what I get for being impatient instead of doing the smart thing and lurkmoar.

• 2 months later...

Handy; thanks Windspeed. 

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

• 5 months later...

What is the point of following this outline when most people just see one or two words that don't go together, or just completely ignore what the purpose of the build is, and just say stuff that has been repeated a thousand times over in this forum?

ugh.

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

Read and acknowledged.... Thank you

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe list a preference of case? Cases are a very personal decision, or just list that you don't care for how it looks. Otherwise it's a very helpful guide :) Cheers!

In this 'CASE' I would agree :D ehh, ehhh ehhhh!!! B)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

• 3 weeks later...

Should I post here or in a new thread?

I want a new thread because I want more disccussion and recommendations

• 3 months later...

To suggest any more points that the poster should do is what are the intentions, whether to OC or SLI/CF. The new thread post should be clearly stated like "[intention] PC under [budget]" And the post itself should be with clear answers, as to what one needs with the budget (PC, OS, monitor, peripherals), intention (most important to least important), whether there are some parts one reuses, OC and/or SLI/CF right away, later or none, preferences for the case or colour of the parts, SSD yay or nay, and finally where one lives and what sites wants to buy the parts. That way people who are helping people, they can help them fast and  don't have to search answers from long posts.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Windspeed36, put some pcpartpicker builds @ 1k, 1.5k and 2k inc with and without peripherals in your OP as a start for people wanting to build machines. 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

@Windspeed36, put some pcpartpicker builds @ 1k, 1.5k and 2k inc with and without peripherals in your OP as a start for people wanting to build machines.

Been over this a few times and we won't: parts change, prices change, availability of parts to regions and bias.

• 1 month later...

@Windspeed36 you should add what cooling you prefer (air or liquid) what kind of climate you live in (this helps decide how much of a problem heat will be) and what brands you prefer (if any)

• 2 months later...

Sorry dude, there will be no biased opinions on these rigs. We should always push to what's best for the money regardless of brand fanboyism.

I am now sold on this fourm :)

• 1 month later...

you aim for gaming* your aim is gaming* you're aiming for gaming*

My bad - wrote it on an iPad and it always does that to me.

good job. i find it hard to write on a table without a Keyboard

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd make this thread to make life easier for people to give advice and feedback on your proposed system. If you add these simple answer it means we don't have to ask you all this before we can give you answers :)

1. Budget & Location

You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

2. Aim

What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need different levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors

How many monitors do you plan on running? Do you plan on moving to more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

Please copy and paste the major dot points into your thread as it makes it easier for us to give you better feedback.

Have fun and keep building :)

I just spent 5 minutes watching your avatar, awesome avatar.