Titan V not suitable for scientific simulations

spartaman64

One engineer told The Register that when he tried to run identical simulations of an interaction between a protein and enzyme on Nvidia’s Titan V cards, the results varied. After repeated tests on four of the top-of-the-line GPUs, he found two gave numerical errors about 10 per cent of the time. These tests should produce the same output values each time again and again. On previous generations of Nvidia hardware, that generally was the case. On the Titan V, not so, we're told.

Nvidia said the best solution to these problems is to avoid using Titan V altogether until a software patch has been released to address the mathematical oddities.

Image result for titan v

There are issues with the Titan V card that causes it to make errors doing calculations. This doesn't affect gaming but it gives inconsistent results to researchers and engineers so until Nvidia fixes the issue the gpu shouldn't be used for those purposes. Not many gamers can afford or think it's worth it to spend 3000 on the Titan V so Nvidia should remedy this quickly or else they will probably lose a big part of the Titan v's market. 

Link: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/21/nvidia_titan_v_reproducibility/

then people blame AMD for selling bad cards... look at this, a 3000$ card that is pretty much the equivalent to... oh, right, "crap". :)

Buy cheap, this is what you get. Yes, I'm using cheap relatively here... the real pro cards get ECC don't they? The Titan V, even if it does have most of the features, is kinda in an odd space between gaming and the true pro cards. The price was cut, this is not unexpected. From what I've seen in general, ram clock is generally close to the limit on gaming cards, where infrequent errors generally go unnoticed. When using consumer GPUs for compute, I've had to un-overclock them before to get stable results, so this really isn't anything new.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'd like to know just how much Nvidia is actually making out of the titan line up,  I haven't really seen anyone recommend them for anything for a rather long time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Does the quadro variant of the card have the same issues? Cause as far as i know its the same GPU die but with different HBM stacks. I believe the Quadro variant is the V100. Would be intetesting to see if they have identical issues, because then it would be a big issue. 

Well that's unfortunate...

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Does the quadro variant of the card have the same issues? Cause as far as i know its the same GPU die but with different HBM stacks. I believe the Quadro variant is the V100. Would be intetesting to see if they have identical issues, because then it would be a big issue. 

I thought the v100 was a tesla not Quadro. I do believe they are different. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Um, LOL?

This only for Titan V or for all of Volta?

Sounds like only for Titan V. Even though the Tesla V100 is based off of the same chip.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Um, LOL?

This only for Titan V or for all of Volta?

that's the real question here . And if it is for all of volta , then it requires a chip respin. Micro-code can't fix logic problems with any sort of reasonable performance

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I honestly forgot the Titan V existed.

I wonder if the issue was with specific software or just happened in general.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'd like to know just how much Nvidia is actually making out of the titan line up,  I haven't really seen anyone recommend them for anything for a rather long time.

There is a delay between the  Titan  and the Ti version of the Titan, so if you want absolute max gaming performance without waiting you buy the Titan.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This is why quadros and teslas come with ECC vram and USED to cost 3 times as much, but the titan brand is just nvidia trying to market stuff to both gamers and professionals and making a mess

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

*waiting for a Viceroy hit piece as to why the NVIDIA stock should be zero*

bankruptcy intensifies 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

In other words, these cards are great for pubg? xD

It's always odd when hardware encounters such bizarre behaviour. I wonder if the software fix will decrease performance? If not, it's "only" an issue for everyone who used these GPU's for any type of research. If perf. will decrease, then it sucks for everyone owning them.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So what you're saying is....it's not worth buying to play World of Warcraft and their upcoming expansion that uses DX12?

I don't want to lose 10% of my DPS due to calculation errors!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

This is why quadros and teslas come with ECC vram and USED to cost 3 times as much, but the titan brand is just nvidia trying to market stuff to both gamers and professionals and making a mess

I don't think it's marketed to anyone anymore, but it rather became a marketing stunt. It will top some benchmarks most outlets can run, and it will be in every flagship build not meant for daily used and/or cost-effectiveness (like, if you make a PC for Terry Crews, no one, including yourself, cares about how much it costed). But when it comes to actually build a PC, it will be too expensive for gaming, and too gaming for workstations.

I think it used to be different (more towards the pro side) with the first Titans, but now it seems to be mostly a brand placement device.

They probably are just going to tighten the memory timings or something along those lines if they can actually fix it, ECC exists for a reason granted the Titan V would still be useful for machine learning ventures but without ECC it will not be suitable for things like molecular physics, but the only reason people thought it would be was poor marketing decisions by nivida (though the marketing was likely only to produce hype for Volta variant gaming cards while also not needing to stock any currently)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Doesn't sound like memory errors though, nothing would work if it was that. Sounds firmware ish.

I've always been on Team Green, mostly due to performance and driver suckiness issues with ATI/AMD... But... I dunno... nVidia's kinda pushing me away these days.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Hey scientist I like to take that card off your hand for 2k it is junk to you now!!!!

6 hours ago, GilmourD said:

I've always been on Team Green, mostly due to performance and driver suckiness issues with ATI/AMD... But... I dunno... nVidia's kinda pushing me away these days.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Doesn't sound like memory errors though, nothing would work if it was that. Sounds firmware ish.

If it was due to lack of ECC memory, I'm sure Nvidia could spin it in a marketing angle: so fast the memory can't keep up.