Cryptomining after math

wogleb12

Just browsing the buy and sell page of facebook and this person wants nearly brand new prices for cards that have been mined upon, this is why system builders nowadays are paying top dollar  

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

LOL $1100 for a 1080ti that has been mined on! LMAO IN YOUR DREAMS

That's in AUD though, or about 850 USD if you directly convert it.

Some people deserve a good fist to the face.

Idk why people always get worked up over "mined on", if a gamer sells his gpu at $xxxx, the card is worth the same as a "mined on" card of the same model... In all honesty, a lot of times, miners take better care of their cards than everyday gamers lol.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

1 minute ago, Revamp said:

Idk why people always get worked up over "mined on", if a gamer sells his gpu at $xxxx, the card is worth the same as a "mined on" card of the same model... In all honesty, a lot of times, miners take better care of their cards than everyday gamers lol.

Keep in mind that miner cards would likely have been run at max load 24/7 for who knows how long, whereas a card used by a gamer would've seen maybe a few hours a day at a wide range of possible load levels.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 minutes ago, Revamp said:

In all honesty, a lot of times, miners take better care of their cards than everyday gamers lol.

Yeah, maxing them out for far greater periods of time is totally better looked after. /s

There is no evidence I've ever seen that shows GPUs that have been mined on are in some way deficient to those that haven't. 

I have multiple cards I've ran 24/7 since 2015 with zero problems at max overclock.  I also know numerous others who can say the same.

As with everything, YMMV.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, mikat said:

LOL $1100 for a 1080ti that has been mined on! LMAO IN YOUR DREAMS

You do know that it says "everything BUT the 1080Ti has been mined on"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Revamp said:

24 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Keep in mind that miner cards would likely have been run at max load 24/7 for who knows how long, whereas a card used by a gamer would've seen maybe a few hours a day at a wide range of possible load levels.

not true in most cases, cards are far more efficient when utlized in the 60-70% power range. and they run cooler, fans don't have to spin as fast, it's just better....

the miners who have the pay for electricity will more than likely be running the efficiently as such.

I know a GTX 1080 mining at a 65% power target, will usually run in the 60's (celcius) with the fan in the 40-50% range. It's really not bad at all... in the case of those cards.

I also had 2 6970's back in the day that I bought USED, and then mined with for 1.5 years, then gamed on in crossfire till early 2017 when I got a GTX 970. they were fine... and those two were run at FULL load because I had free electricity where I was running them at the time. One of them is actually still owned by a member of this forum that I sold it to, and supposedly it's still working fine.

so wheras with gaming I'll frequently run cards at the max TDP the card will allow... because I want ALL DA FRAMES, with mining, most people are far more careful because you have to manage cost to run.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

What? They're like a couple hundred cheaper than what retailers are selling them for but they do almost cost the same as before the mining boom. There seems to still be a high demand for GPU's since I saw PCCG sellout all of their new founder's edition inventory almost immediately including the Titan Xp and V

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

49 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's in AUD though, or about 850 USD if you directly convert it.

You can get a 1080ti for $1200-$1350 brand new from most retailers in Australia.    We are not suffering the price gouging as much as the US are. 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/68713-ZT-P10810B-10P

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/67943-GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

For AUD, those prices are pretty reasonable

The new prices or what he is asking?

Because what he is asking is only reasonable for a product that was bough within the last 2 months.   If they have been used for mining (most likely) I can guarantee he is either selling because it isn't profitable with Australia's electricity prices (in other words he has flogged them and not turned enough profit), or it's only profitable if he sells them just before they die and at almost new prices. That way he is only paying $200 tops for the cards to use them for 11 months then selling before the warranty expires.  Either way they have worked hard and should be considerably less than that. 

If this type thing continues to happen hardware (because it is built with components rated for X hours @ X temperature.  They should have counters in the firmware.  Then people would know exactly what they are buying just like a cars odometer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Revamp said:

The average "everyday gamer" doesn't put a load on their card 24/7,the thing to worry about on used miner cards isn't the GPU or VRM's,the memory only handles so many writes and could leave you with a bricked card at any time.

40 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because what he is asking is only reasonable for a product that was bough within the last 2 months.   If they have been used for mining (most likely) I can guarantee he is either selling because it isn't profitable with Australia's electricity prices (in other words he has flogged them and not turned enough profit), or it's only profitable if he sells them just before they die and at almost new prices. That way he is only paying $200 tops for the cards to use them for 11 months then selling before the warranty expires.  Either way they have worked hard and should be considerably less than that. 

If this type thing continues to happen hardware (because it is built with components rated for X hours @ X temperature.  They should have counters in the firmware.  Then people would know exactly what they are buying just like a cars odometer.

I think the firmware logging the cards average load and temps would be great,but miners would probably figure out a way to modify it since most don't admit it was used for mining.  Is $1200AUD normal? North America prices for 1080ti at launch was around $800-900,though at least you guys can actually buy a card new lol.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

yeah the cost of living in Australia is pretty high 

37 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The average "everyday gamer" doesn't put a load on their card 24/7,the thing to worry about on used miner cards isn't the GPU or VRM's,the memory only handles so many writes and could leave you with a bricked card at any time.

I think the firmware logging the cards average load and temps would be great,but miners would probably figure out a way to modify it since most don't admit it was used for mining.  Is $1200AUD normal? North America prices for 1080ti at launch was around $800-900,though at least you guys can actually buy a card new lol.

It really depends on the version (as they weren't all released at the same time) but on average my observation is they have gone up about 200-300 since 2016.  Mining hasn;t had the same overnight or extreme effects here as it has other places.

My guess is if this bloke sells these cards it is because there is always a drongo out there willing to pay too much for an unknown.

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Some people deserve a good fist to the face.

face? lol lol no no no

in the behind

with gravel

What some random is asking on a buy and sell forum has no affect whatsoever on what a system builder pays.

I have no idea why you correlate those two.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

not true in most cases, cards are far more efficient when utlized in the 60-70% power range. and they run cooler, fans don't have to spin as fast, it's just better....

the miners who have the pay for electricity will more than likely be running the efficiently as such.

I know a GTX 1080 mining at a 65% power target, will usually run in the 60's (celcius) with the fan in the 40-50% range. It's really not bad at all... in the case of those cards.

I also had 2 6970's back in the day that I bought USED, and then mined with for 1.5 years, then gamed on in crossfire till early 2017 when I got a GTX 970. they were fine... and those two were run at FULL load because I had free electricity where I was running them at the time. One of them is actually still owned by a member of this forum that I sold it to, and supposedly it's still working fine.

so wheras with gaming I'll frequently run cards at the max TDP the card will allow... because I want ALL DA FRAMES, with mining, most people are far more careful because you have to manage cost to run.

I don't think anyone is actually concerned about the silicon. The fans, which have actual bearings wear out. You have to replace car bearings eventually too right? A fair amount of video cards combat this now by idling with fans off at higher idle temps, than to wear down fan bearings and receive RMA's. 

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

my 2 cents seller is being honest which through his reciepts can show which isnt alot of time

my 2nd cent is most miner undervolt and downclock for the risk of resell ability ,

maybe these cards should be designed to run 24/7, cpus are why shouldnt another piece of silicone be designed to do teh same?>

oh wait voltage and temps kill a processor in general

if cards are still under warranty and have open enrollment for warranty then why not?

I wouldn't pay anywhere near those prices, but lucky for that seller I bet some chump will. 

11 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

I know what the rest of that Felix looks like, you're a man of culture ;)

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB