The President of the US has meeting to discuss video games and violence

Eduard the weeb

NO POLITICS, KEEP THIS CIVIL 

Original Articles - The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17098230/trumps-video-game-violence-meeting-esa

- The Washington Post  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/03/08/inside-trumps-private-meeting-with-the-video-game-industry-and-its-critics/?utm_term=.c5724ad7bf1e

In wake of recent events, US president Donald Trump has meet with those of both side of the discussion about if video games desensitize the players to violence

The proceedings were closed to the press, but by all accounts, the meeting was a strange one. The president opened the meeting by showing a supercut of hyperviolent gameplay scenes drawn largely from the Call of Duty series — a compilation that was later posted to the White House’s official YouTube account. According to The Washington Post, the president asked the group, “This is violent, isn’t it?” after the video ended. - The Verge

Video-game executives who attended the meeting Thursday included Robert Altman, the CEO of ZeniMax, the parent company for games such as Fallout; Strauss Zelnick, the chief executive of Take Two Interactive, which is known for Grand Theft Auto, and Michael Gallagher, the leader of the Entertainment Software Association, a Washington-focused lobbying organization for the industry. -  The Washington Post

I personally think this meeting was pointless, because there were lobbyist of both sides there, but no scientist were there, so all things presented were just baseless claims that would be hard to refute by either side, I understand that precautions need to be taken so events like that which transpired in Florida never happen again, but if this seriously doesn't seem like and answer to me.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I think this was already posted?

also, cod isnt that violent at all, its just really popular and therefore scapegoated often. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

also, cod isnt that violent at all, its just really popular and therefore scapegoated often. 

all I saw was about trump and first amendment, but that was all I think

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Well the current administration and their supporters pretty much have a do nothing stance on anything related to gun control and want to kill any sort of publicly funded health care (which could address mental health too), so I suppose what's next step is to find a scapegoat in some half ass way to look like they're actually doing something about it.

Sorry if my statement was somewhat political, i couldn't think of another response.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Repost

Soory, I thought this was new because was a new meeting If I am correct

If 50 million people play games and like 5-10 of them become violent mass murderers, that's clearly a very weak correlation.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

12 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Repost

14 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

This post isn't actually a repost, the older post was about the announcement and this is about the actual meeting. Might be better to have this as an update to other post maybe, but I guess this is up to the mods.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

There's no way to not make this thread political.  In the US it's just plain reality that many citizens rountinely blame a random group of people for the country's problems.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

One of the quotes from a couple people attending the meeting should make it clear why nobody will listen:

Bozell said he also communicated to Trump a need for “much tougher regulation” of the video-game industry, stressing that violent games “needed to be given the same kind of thought as tobacco and liquor.”

Hartzler, meanwhile, said she’s open to crafting legislation that would make it harder for youngsters to buy violent games.

“Even though I know there are studies that have said there is no causal link, as a mom and a former high school teacher, it just intuitively seems that prolonged viewing of violent nature would desensitize a young person,” she said.

When the people against something come out and say "I know science and all this research says it's not true but my gut tells me otherwise" then I just don't see any hope of getting through to them. No matter how much you show them they will always turn away everything you show them with some baseless argument like that and ignore it because they don't want to deal with the real problem.

Please note that I know it's both sides who have these problems, this just happens to be one instance of one side for one argument.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

One of the quotes from a couple people attending the meeting should make it clear why nobody will listen:

When the people against something come out and say "I know science and all this research says it's not true but my gut tells me otherwise" then I just don't see any hope of getting through to them. No matter how much you show them they will always turn away everything you show them with some baseless argument like that and ignore it because they don't want to deal with the real problem.

Please note that I know it's both sides who have these problems, this just happens to be one instance of one side for one argument.

I don't remember exactly but it's something like 70% of people won't change their opinion even if facts are presented to show otherwise.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

24 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

This post isn't actually a repost, the older post was about the announcement and this is about the actual meeting. Might be better to have this as an update to other post maybe, but I guess this is up to the mods.

If this post isn't a repost, it's staying put.

Keep it civil though guys :)

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I don't remember exactly but it's something like 70% of people won't change their opinion even if facts are presented to show otherwise.

Like the console players xD

(justkidding)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Same thing happened after Columbine and even then it was "discovered" through a number of studies that video games were neither the trigger or could be held responsible even though the two involved used a cracked Nintendo to design and trial their plans. Video games do not instigate violent thought, if this was the case then I can make the same argument about a great number of other things including books.

*edit to add

Lets not hate the player lets hate the game.

Lets not hate on the person doing the deed, lets hate on the tool(s) used... 

Again lets not focus on the problem but on the scapegoat we can use.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

25 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's almost as if they are trying to derail the discussion and are trying to find a scapegoat instead of fixing the actual issues. I don't want to get into the politics, but I just want to say whether you think this is due to poor gun controls or not is irrelevant, but what is true for sure is that it isn't due to video games. This is just a waste of time....

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

37 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Lets not hate the player lets hate the game.

Lets not hate on the person doing the deed, lets hate on the tool(s) used... 

Again lets not focus on the problem but on the scapegoat we can use.

Well said, Yagimimi.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

cod violent... sure pal

even the blood effects are censored

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Fallout literally has nuclear bombs as weapons and body parts that can disintegrate... and we're looking at Call of Duty for a comical blood "spurt" or "splatter" followed by a [Charlie Chaplin] slip-o-death... 

My disappointment has leveled up... unfortunately. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It's a lot, unfortunately even very intelligent people do this.   It is a well documented phenomenon in psychology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I personally think this meeting was pointless, because there were lobbyist of both sides there, but no scientist were there,

They only get scientists in when the science agrees with their angle.  The rest of the time it's just lip service, invite the lobbyists to make it look like they are doing something.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's a lot, unfortunately even very intelligent people do this.   It is a well documented phenomenon in psychology.

4 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Show me the evidence that this is actually true and I won't believe it ;)

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Show me the evidence that this is actually true and I won't believe it ;)

I am resisting the urge to post 3 links to articles proving that you won't believe what they say.

5 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Well that was my thread that got locked this morning (I disagree with the mods on that one), but I do remember hearing this story already, I can't recall if on this forum or not.