The President of the US has meeting to discuss video games and violence

Eduard the weeb
10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

No point in defending something with wrong arguments,

If people avoided wrong arguments then we could potentially reduce the internet to a few pages.  xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, LordofGangsters said:

So how come if a drunk driver crashes you don't blame the car? 

Car is not a weapon. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Car is not a weapon. 

A pen is not a weapon until you stick it in to some ones Jugular. Every thing can be turned in to a weapon, including a car. 

The fact is video games dont cause violence. The people who do things such as what happen in Florida were fucked up in the head to begin with. Mostly caused by bullying if you ask me. Also, kids now days are not given proper punishments when they do wrong. Its just like that dumb fuck kid who threatened a school here in Michigan because he didnt want to go to school that day. His parents didnt punish him as a kid and now the criminal justice system has to punish him for his stupidity.  I hope they throw the book at him and give him 25 years. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

A pen is not a weapon until you stick it in to some ones Jugular. Every thing can be turned in to a weapon, including a car. 

The fact is video games dont cause violence. The people who do things such as what happen in Florida were fucked up in the head to begin with. Mostly caused by bullying if you ask me. Also, kids now days are not given proper punishments when they do wrong. Its just like that dumb fuck kid who threatened a school here in Michigan because he didnt want to go to school that day. His parents didnt punish him as a kid and now the criminal justice system has to punish him for his stupidity.  I hope they throw the book at him and give him 25 years. 

Point was that US is actually a country that haves guns yet also very high gun violence, but many will not admit it even. Seeking some other scapegoat is just bs though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I feel like a terrible person: I've been enjoying watching some of the gamers that came strongly pro Trump squirm about with this one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I feel like a terrible person: I've been enjoying watching some of the gamers that came strongly pro Trump squirm about with this one.

It's okay! We can enjoy being terrible people together. :3

...or does that make it worse, siding with some asshole (and weirdo) on the internet?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

38 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not the gamers' fault, both sides are putting the blame on video games.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Point was that US is actually a country that haves guns yet also very high gun violence, but many will not admit it even. Seeking some other scapegoat is just bs though.

No the point is they dont want to admit the true problem in the US. Mental health. Back in the 80s they shut down much of the mental health hospitals here. While I will admit that the access to guns in the country is very easy and more could be done. The real issue is mental health. No one takes it as serous as they need and the law doesnt do enough to help prevent people with mental issues from getting access to guns.  

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No the point is they dont want to admit the true problem in the US. Mental health. Back in the 80s they shut down much of the mental health hospitals here. While I will admit that the access to guns in the country is very easy and more could be done. The real issue is mental health. No one takes it as serous as they need and the law doesnt do enough to help prevent people with mental issues from getting access to guns.  

Well both are the problem yes. Mental issue or not, there will always be maniacs, obtaining gun easily just makes it much scarier. Hardly that those with like mental issues will be recognized at time. No one will bother much if they don't do much trouble. Gun access is where that trouble and big trouble appears. With a gun it's so easy to kill someone that child can do it. Press a button aka trigger and bum, someones life taken away that easily. No other cold weapon or a tool does that, you'd need close approach and physical effort to harm someone. Also you couldn't massacre people with a knife. You can't control such people as much as guns could be controlled. Can't really blame everything on mental health. That would be delusional really. 

On the other note, seems like US and mental health have strong links for some time now. Like I've seen many young people say they have some kind of mental health problems though. It's like every other person in US haves some such issues. Really weird.

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Like I've seen many young people say they have some kind of mental health problems though. It's like every other person in US haves some such issues. Really weird.

Thats because young people now days will have a lower standard of living compared to the baby boomers. Most dont know how they will pay their bills or have to worry about where to get their next meal. This type of shit is what sets people off. I mean your told you need to put yourself in to $50k to $100k in debt getting an education. Then you turn around and only get jobs making $20k to $30k. That would make any one depressed. 

Also, there is lots of bullying in US schools. If you look back on some of these school shootings, you see that many of the people involved were bulled, and the bullies paid the ultimate price for being an ass hole. 

Waste of time and resources, there is exhaustive research about this topic and it has been discussed for the last 30 years, it's just a pathetic diversion to avoid discussing the real problems. The whole west has access to violent videogames, only the US has 11 mass shootings per month.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because young people now days will have a lower standard of living compared to the baby boomers. Most dont know how they will pay their bills or have to worry about where to get their next meal. This type of shit is what sets people off. I mean your told you need to put yourself in to $50k to $100k in debt getting an education. Then you turn around and only get jobs making $20k to $30k. That would make any one depressed. 

Also, there is lots of bullying in US schools. If you look back on some of these school shootings, you see that many of the people involved were bulled, and the bullies paid the ultimate price for being an ass hole. 

Yeah, standards did change from before for sure. Though still odd to me, it's still a 1. world country and pretty much every young person can start doing some regular job, move out quite soon. Specially compared to other countries. I live in 3. world country and find literally any job just to get started it very tough. Also, even after you continue education after high school, finish it, you're not set to find a job easily at all. Many can't find it for a long time. And comparing the moving out of your parents home to like US in average it's much much later as far as in which years though. 

I don't know details of education in US like what could you do about it with like less money and such, like alternatives. Thing is, afaik, people work after education easily and can find jobs much easier also can shift their career into something else if needed. Got some relatives there and other people I've talked to, but again don't know all the details.

Still, all in all system of educations are no good in many places, would need serious restructuring.

violent video games probably reduces stress of people who may commit violent acts

once they start banning video games, then they will move onto music then pro sports fights like in Hockey

It will become all snowflakified

58 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

you really have a problem there, the ones that get arrested go to jail not a mental institution, kind of disproves the theory. Still like with blaming videogames i guess its the scientists that need to determine if there is a link between videogames and/or mental issues and shootings, not politicians. 

I think it's one of one of those "all of the above" type answers.

Guns need to be discussed.  I understand this makes many conservatives and gun owners uncomfortable but the fact that each state appears to have its own set of rules and some places simply don't have enough safe checks to keep guns away from those likely to abuse the privilege.  It should be federally regulated with the same rules across the board.  They should look at who can obtain guns and what guns should be allowed to be obtained.  

It's 2018 and Oregon is finally banning those with domestic violence convictions from obtaining a firearm... in 2018.. it took them that long?

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/375144-oregon-legislature-passes-bill-banning-people-with-domestic-violence

Note: it was originally banned in 2015 (not that long ago) but there was a loophole that it didn't count if you didn't live with those who you abused).

And here's a good read on just the type of wounds an AR-15 can cause why it's so much deadlier than a simple handgun. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

When car accidents rise we all pay more for insurance and often changes are made to driving rules/laws and licensing.  Why should guns be treated any differently?

And mental health needs to be discussed.  This isn't just opening up mental hospitals to lock up the crazies.  This is basically an extension of healthcare (and we all know how much Trump supports healthcare).  This is also support for children with special needs, screening children for learning disabilities and autism so that they get the support they need early in life.  

There's obviously more that needs to be addressed, but I believe those 2 are 2 big ones.

57 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Guns need to be discussed.  I understand this makes many conservatives and gun owners uncomfortable but the fact that each state appears to have its own set of rules and some places simply don't have enough safe checks to keep guns away from those likely to abuse the privilege.  It should be federally regulated with the same rules across the board.  They should look at who can obtain guns and what guns should be allowed to be obtained.  

It's 2018 and Oregon is finally banning those with domestic violence convictions from obtaining a firearm... in 2018.. it took them that long?

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/375144-oregon-legislature-passes-bill-banning-people-with-domestic-violence

Note: it was originally banned in 2015 (not that long ago) but there was a loophole that it didn't count if you didn't live with those who you abused).

And here's a good read on just the type of wounds an AR-15 can cause why it's so much deadlier than a simple handgun. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

When car accidents rise we all pay more for insurance and often changes are made to driving rules/laws and licensing.  Why should guns be treated any differently?

And mental health needs to be discussed.  This isn't just opening up mental hospitals to lock up the crazies.  This is basically an extension of healthcare (and we all know how much Trump supports healthcare).  This is also support for children with special needs, screening children for learning disabilities and autism so that they get the support they need early in life.  

There's obviously more that needs to be addressed, but I believe those 2 are 2 big ones.

That's it in a nutshell,  everyone is willing to talk about what they think causes the problem.  but not that actual problem much less accept what it might take to address the problem.

Fact of the mater is when you have homicidal maniacs getting access to guns then you have gun violence problems.         

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Majinhoju said:

now we just need to know what you think about videogames and violence as that is what the topic is about :P

it's a real strange subject to discuss because we all know what the real problem is and yet we must dance around it see the "pass the blame" game, and eventually always end up having to hear how videogames lilke Mario make people want to jump on poor defenseless turtles everywhere and that of course is why polar bear have less ice to live on because global warming is as real as guns are a problem really and deep down we all know this truths 

9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Car is not a weapon. 

Correct, they do in the US however kill significantly more people than any weapon we have. Moreover, virtually none of them suicides or homicides. Which means that unlike with guns, they are almost all completely avoidable. Whereas with guns, even if they all magically vanished tomorrow and no new ones replaced them, you would still see 22,000-27,000 of those people who die every year by gunshot still dying.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

now we just need to know what you think about videogames and violence as that is what the topic is about :P

it's a real strange subject to discuss because we all know what the real problem is and yet we must dance around it see the "pass the blame" game, and eventually always end up having to hear how videogames lilke Mario make people want to jump on poor defenseless turtles everywhere and that of course is why polar bear have less ice to live on because global warming is as real as guns are a problem really and deep down we all know this truths 

As far as violence in video games go.  They just need to continue what they already have been doing.  Slap a warning label on it so people (and parents) are aware of what they're buying.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Correct, they do in the US however kill significantly more people than any weapon we have. Moreover, virtually none of them suicides or homicides. Which means that unlike with guns, they are almost all completely avoidable. Whereas with guns, even if they all magically vanished tomorrow and no new ones replaced them, you would still see 22,000-27,000 if those people who die every year by gunshot still dying.

i guess if you follow that logic cancer is a weapon that kills more than guns and cars. We could avoid deaths by cars by all walking everywhere i guess. But we could also avoid deaths by cancer by living in caves like we did thousands of years ago and avoiding most of it's causes.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i guess if you follow that logic cancer is a weapon that kills more than guns and cars. We could avoid deaths by cars by all walking everywhere i guess. But we could also avoid deaths by cancer by living in caves like we did thousands of years ago and avoiding most of it's causes.

I believe most cancers were around then too, the difference is most people died before they were old enough to get cancer.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Correct, they do in the US however kill significantly more people than any weapon we have. Moreover, virtually none of them suicides or homicides. Which means that unlike with guns, they are almost all completely avoidable. Whereas with guns, even if they all magically vanished tomorrow and no new ones replaced them, you would still see 22,000-27,000 if those people who die every year by gunshot still dying.

The amount of deaths would surely be lower. Point also is, people wouldn't need to be feared that they can get shot literally anywhere at any time. Something like car accidents is not even comparable though. No one gets feared by seeing cars parked or driven.

Just now, mr moose said:

I believe most cancers were around then too, the difference is most people died before they were old enough to get cancer.

still, my point remains valid. If you don't drive, driving is no longer such a deadly weapon. If you die younger cancer is not longer such a deadly weapon. We can actually do this exercise to a point were guns are really just the major problem because they cause more deaths than swimming with sharks for example and this is a numbers game.

14 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Correct, they do in the US however kill significantly more people than any weapon we have. Moreover, virtually none of them suicides or homicides. Which means that unlike with guns, they are almost all completely avoidable. Whereas with guns, even if they all magically vanished tomorrow and no new ones replaced them, you would still see 22,000-27,000 of those people who die every year by gunshot still dying.

I'm not sure where you're going with this.  There are multiple causes of death.  Even if car accident deaths exceed gun violence deaths it doesn't change how we should approach gun ownership and regulations if there's still a large number of deaths due to guns.