Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Are there any tools that go through the FAH logs and pull out information like what WUs you've done, how long they took, points, and any errors, you know what I mean just the useful infromation. I'd really like figure out what my problem with project 14541 is it's starting to add up to a lot of processing time wasted on WUs failing when it would be better spent on ones that worked.

9 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

not all projects will be stable on the same settings. are you running an overclock at all?

No everything is stock I've got free cores only running at 70% load on the CPU to keep the GPUs happy so it's not that either but on that project it 50/50 if it fails.

51 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Are there any tools that go through the FAH logs and pull out information like what WUs you've done, how long they took, points, and any errors, you know what I mean just the useful infromation. I'd really like figure out what my problem with project 14541 is it's starting to add up to a lot of processing time wasted on WUs failing when it would be better spent on ones that worked.

HFM.net

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Hey guys, it looks like a memory channel has died on my motherboard. I have tried every troubleshooting mesure I can think of. But it seams to be dead. So I am going to have to pull out of the f@h event until the replacement gets here and I can get it up and running. It’s been fun. Y’all keep at it!

19 hours ago, RollinLower said:

if you combine this flag with the "next-unit-percentage" flag and value "90", your client will start looking for a new WU when the one you are running is at 90%. 

that way the chances of back-to-back WU's increases enormously!

also "open-web-control" "false" well stop it from opening web control on startup or running (makes you need to uise the tray icon)

On 4/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, RollinLower said:

A new card just entered the fold!

Spoiler

IMG_20200404_163625.thumb.jpg.41ffb8699e47b3ea58c740745ccdd936.jpg

Yes lads, this right here is a whopping Radeon 5450. A card that in 2010 was considered low-end. At launch.

Let's see what she can do! 

I'm surprised that thing is even recognized as usable by the client! 😂

On 4/5/2020 at 5:19 AM, RollinLower said:

if you combine this flag with the "next-unit-percentage" flag and value "90", your client will start looking for a new WU when the one you are running is at 90%. 

8 hours ago, JoshuaLynes said:

also "open-web-control" "false" well stop it from opening web control on startup or running (makes you need to uise the tray icon)

THATS what it was! "Next-unit-percentage" Gotta remember that for when I get home for sure. These are both incredibly useful, thank you both!

22 hours ago, yaboistar said:

Neither have I 😅, I only moved the mid plate on the R6 back today. My only peeve is that they don’t include a blanking plate for the PSU basement but I’m talking to fractal about whether the plate from the S2 would fit

Sorry I'm trying not to drool over the R6 😂 Looking at photo's,the cutout appears identical on both models so it should work, but there might be something on the RK for HDD mounting I cant see that could be blocking it. Best to wait for the support team (They're actually good at giving a clear answer in my experience)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Hey, if you guys have any pull with F@H, can you ask them about fixing the Web Control glitching in Chromium-based browsers?

1 hour ago, BulletMagnetEd said:

Hey, if you guys have any pull with F@H, can you ask them about fixing the Web Control glitching in Chromium-based browsers?

They definitely know about it and are actually running a developer discussion in the coming days to see how the community can help them with software development to help crunch these sort of problems faster. Check out the F@H twitter if you are interested.

Join TEAM LTT in the fight against COVID-19 with F@H & BOINC ~ My EOC Folding Stats ~ My F@H Stats ~ My BOINC Stats

Daily Driver: i7-8086/32GB RAM/500GB SSD/4TB HDD/RTX2070/PG279Q

Unraid Server: 2700X/32GB RAM/750GB RAW SSD/22TB RAW HDD/GTX 1050

LTT Folding Team is currently the highest grossing ppd in F@H at 5.1 billion, default team trails by almost 2 billion. 😀

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

image.thumb.png.5d65947747542c256e9f7c4a0ed6c86b.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So here's just a question. Am I right in saying that the more cores and processors I have in my system, the quicker I'll be able to complete tasks?? So there's nothing stopping me from putting 2 AMD EPYC CPU's in one system and just shredding through the tasks? Or is there an upper limit to how powerful one system can be?

18 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

not sure what the upper bounds for core usage is for FAH, someone else who deals more directly with CPU folding could probably answer that

if i recall correctly, each CPU will take on one task

remember to GPU fold too as that's where most of the points are, but they do also need CPU horsepower because they have some simulations that can only be completed on CPU

Hmmmm so even if I have the 128C from the EPYC processors the entire system will still only get 2 tasks?

Anyone else having problems sending work unit back to 140.163.4.241? I guess the server ran out of storage to receive complete work unit. Now I am stuck with project 11746 and it's unable to send.

454.PNG

6 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

image.thumb.png.9133229184b61661150e0ec907f1be68.png

yup, out of disk space

keep it there, they'll offload the data from it soon enough, don't get rid of the WU

That sucks

New to F@H. Just joined the LTT team with a 2770 Super and a 1660 Super for 2.2m PPD

I also fired up Rosetta for the first time in 10 years and changed my team to LTT. 

Happy crunching

3 hours ago, AaronDinesh said:

Hmmmm so even if I have the 128C from the EPYC processors the entire system will still only get 2 tasks?

You can adjust the number of cores per slot, and create as many slots as you want.  You'll find lower core counts won't get the hardest (and most point producing) work units, and anything below 4 core slots will get almost nothing.  But, you can set it up however you want.  I often set up either 4 or 6 core slots to make use of extra processing power on my servers.

I've been folding for a bit now with my gaming rig and I've run into a problem.  Is their any way to set % usage for gpu/cpu or set separate "folding power" levels for each?  As is low power pauses the gpu (gtx 1070) folding while if I move to medium I hit 100% utilization on my cpu (Ryzen 3600).  Problem being in order to use the computer I need the cpu but gpu has almost no effect on day to day work, further more regardless of setting it will not fully utilize my gpu (as shown in photo on full power).  Anybody have a solution?

@palespartan

Folding@Home pic.PNG

Spoiler
On 4/5/2020 at 5:19 AM, RollinLower said:

On 4/6/2020 at 1:09 AM, JoshuaLynes said:

On 4/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, TVwazhere said:

THATS what it was! "Next-unit-percentage" Gotta remember that for when I get home for sure. These are both incredibly useful, thank you both!

It seems more stable? Hard to tell right now but i seem to have a bit less downtime between WU's now

image.png.b4743a6e7d0af82d54fb6d8bf235a9e6.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, dinodigger said:

I've been folding for a bit now with my gaming rig and I've run into a problem.  Is their any way to set % usage for gpu/cpu or set separate "folding power" levels for each?  As is low power pauses the gpu (gtx 1070) folding while if I move to medium I hit 100% utilization on my cpu (Ryzen 3600).  Problem being in order to use the computer I need the cpu but gpu has almost no effect on day to day work, further more regardless of setting it will not fully utilize my gpu (as shown in photo on full power).  Anybody have a solution?

@palespartan

Folding@Home pic.PNG

If you select your GPU from the Performance tab of Task Manager, do you have the option to set one of your meters to CUDA?

image.thumb.png.35835cb46790119b1ac07580edf89275.png

When my GPU is working, the Task Manager also shows a "Low utilization" of the GPU, but when I look here CUDA is always pegged.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:33 PM, yaboistar said:

go into advanced control and manually set the number of CPU threads it's allowed to use in your slot settings

for nvidia folding and a 3600, i reccomend 6 threads out of a possible 12. nvidia drivers have a lot of folding overhead and if the cpu is busy it will knock a fair bit of performance back

I've found that it works just fine with -1, as you get 11 threads and Folding doesn't run on prime numbers, so you get knocked down to 10 threads which leaves 2 threads/1 core free for the GPU. I've almost never seen my CPU(R5 3600) used more than 96% with Folding running at full power.

However, he mentioned that he needs to use his computer for day to day work, so I think 6 or 8 threads sounds good in his case.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Anyone else noticing a WU shortage over the last day or two?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240