Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Today I'm going to change the oil in my dad's 2004 Corolla, but I don't really know what to expect when I see the old oil since neither him nor I can remember the last time he's had it changed... The recommended oil change interval is 5000 miles, and I'm pretty sure he's gone way over that.

since he's prone to missing changes, use synthetic oil when you change it.

looking at the oil itself wont tell you much unless you send it to a lab.

Look under the oil cap (look down the hole and also on the underside of the cap itself) for thick black sludge. If you see that, then make sure he knows he's been going way too long on oil changes. (and make sure he knows the likelihood of having a big issue has greatly increased because of it)

That's about all you can do really.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

59 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can think of at least ONE case where it does.

Image result for engine oil sludge

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

since he's prone to missing changes, use synthetic oil when you change it.

Look under the oil cap (look down the hole and also on the underside of the cap itself) for thick black sludge. If you see that, then make sure he knows he's been going way too long on oil changes. (and make sure he knows the likelihood of having a big issue has greatly increased because of it)

That's about all you can do really.

Thanks for the advice, I've made sure he changes the oil every 5000 miles now. The old oil was actually changed last April, which wasn't as long ago as I thought; he only drives about 6000 miles every year too.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

idk how people live like that... makes me nervous just thinking about it.

They live with a Peugeot 407 they can’t afford to fix and constantly breaks, but love it anyway

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What is this disgusting mess??? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Does if the viscosity and look are that of cream soda.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Image result for engine oil sludge

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What is this disgusting mess??? 

That, I'm fairly certain, is a VW/Audi/Porsche VR6. Not sure if it's the FSI, 3.2, or 3.6 though. Being that it's dual VVT it's likely FSI, possibly the turbo from the Audi TT since it's so badly sludged up.

I got an early Christmas present. Now I can really bust a nut at work!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8NFPQK/

I currently have a 10yr old 2135ti which is a strong gun, especially coupled with the weighted crank bolt sockets. This new gun uses a different type of impact mechanism that I've been interested to try out. I'll take the chance to rebuild the 2135ti and replace any worn parts inside of it, re-grease the hammer case, new seals and bearings, new trigger valve, and have a new old ugly but very functional gun AND the new hotness as well.

9 minutes ago, flya00 said:

Gotta look cool in high school. Family own a car dealership and everybody focuses on me.

Any good suggestions??????

Miata is always the answer

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

That, I'm fairly certain, is a VW/Audi/Porsche VR6. Not sure if it's the FSI, 3.2, or 3.6 though. Being that it's dual VVT it's likely FSI, possibly the turbo from the Audi TT since it's so badly sludged up.

Definitely a VR6 of some sort.  I don't even understand how this happens.  If this 50k miles without an oil change, or did someone use Hershey's syrup in place of oil?

sludge_2.jpg

32 minutes ago, flya00 said:

Gotta look cool in high school. Family own a car dealership and everybody focuses on me.

Any good suggestions??????

Take a new ride from the lot every day so you truly look like a baller. I’m assuming you own a used lot, otherwise you’d probably specify what manufacturer. Anything with leather (or heated) seats and an aux plug. High schoolers will think that’s been the coolest thing ever. It could be the shittiest civic ever, but if it has an aux cord, you’ll be cool

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

25 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

No its consistantly missing oil changes. You do 20 or 30k on the same oil once it won't fucker up this bad. If you do this repeatedly for  10 years you will run into issues.

but that mobil 1 annual protection tho lel

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Metal valve cover so it's the 3.2 VR6 for sure, looks like in a Touraeg or Cayenne, the 03-07 without direct injection. We have one at the shop with...problems...It needs to find a deep quarry to fall into.

ccyj2Tf.jpg

I would say thats the source of losing 1.5 quarts of oil in less than 1k miles. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Spoiler

14 hours ago, vetali said:

ccyj2Tf.jpg

I would say thats the source of losing 1.5 quarts of oil in less than 1k miles. 

I’m probably just stupid, but what’s wrong here?

is the bottom ring gone?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wtf is a 365/710ZR540A? Proprietary tire size naming? Lol

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Wtf is a 365/710ZR540A? Proprietary tire size naming? Lol

so thicc it needs its own naming :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016