Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Really wish the Subaru levorg was available in us. Basically a longer wrx hatchback? Sounds great to me!

Maybe I'll get one imported after college...

Its the replacement for the legacy

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk I want to just give up and throw superpro in... but the struggle is im cheap lol. $860 all around is... a lot. 

I hate making purchasing decisions xD

I might just go for the stiffer rubber bushings from IL Motorsport... they are <$500

yeah superpro is pricey... but I'm surprised the NA/NB stuff is that much since it doesn't have any of those big multidirectional bushings, and those are usually the ones that drive up the price...  Considering the Energy+SADFab is less, I'd go with that and try to find some way to protect the metal bearings.  https://sealsit.com    might have something

personally I wouldn't go to rubber bushings.  I mean yes there are stiffer rubber bushings for the NA/NB, so they match a that on the poly stuff.  But they add they don't have free rotation... every time your control arm moves the bushing is getting twisted...

14 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

It is strange for sure, to not feel the g-forces and other feedback from the car itself that you feel IRL. But as for the wheel feedback, quite often, the feedback settings need to be adjusted to be more realistic. Took me a good 1-2 hours the other day to adjust the feedback settings of my new wheel to "feel" the way it should (as close to real life as possible) so that I can feel bumps, curbs, undulations in the road surface, vehicle weight transfer and tire grip (side load). It's not perfect (and never really will be), but it's pretty close. 

Without doing that, and depending on the game, it can just feel quite numb and "rubber band" like, vs giving you actual feedback of what the car is doing. 

Yeah, the xbone controller is one of the best out there. When forced to race with one, that's the one I'd use. ;) 

Yeah I spent a bunch of time messing with the feedback settings... it I got it ok... but still too far off a real car.    its not my cup of tea...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Its the replacement for the legacy

But it's not in the US. Not many sporty hatch backs or wagons in the US, and almost none with 4wd now that wrx hatchback doesn't exist.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

O man. The list is long. Very long lol. It is a 3.7 v6 since I got it while in college, already an awesome first car! And it was new too!! So, while people will always give the v6 shit, I bet this v6 would give most of the 5.0’s you see a run for their money. Not at the drag strip, but almost everywhere else. I would know, my dad has a 2015 5.0 performance pack. Lol.

Anyways, let’s just start at the front and move backwards?

JLT CAI, BBK 73mm TB, ported and polished upper and lower intake manifolds, BBK shorty headers with stock CATS (I live in California, and plus this motor sounds better with cats anyways strangely...) Borla ATAK mufflers, MPT 91 tune, MGW Race Spec shifter (entire external to trans replacement, makes the mt82 SO MUCH BETTER via fixing the poorly engineered stock shifter box and linkage. Uh, Fidanza 11.8 lbs aluminum flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, drive shaft shop 1 piece aluminum DS.

Suspension: BMR front sway from the gen 1 S197 since their gen 2 is just to aggressive and really only for full track cars, bmr endlinks, BMR rear lower control arms, panhard bar and rear sway links (stock rear sway bar since the mustang doesn’t need a big rear bar), Koni Yellows with some decent lowering springs that are a good mix between street driving and track, J&M front CC plates with as much caster as I could get and -1.9 camber although I could use more...

Random stuff: BMR poly motor mounts, Recaros, Brembos, 3.73 gears, Setrab oil cooler, diff rear cover from the gt500/boss 302 that ya fins for cooling, front strut tower brace, Centric blanks rotors with HAWK HPS 5.0 pads all around, SVE Drifts in 19x9.5 with 275 MPSS’s. Uh, hmm. Likely missing some things, but that about covers it I think. O, right, my new trans. It’s a Ben Calimer Stage 2 (REM and Cryo treated gears, welded shift forks, brass shift pads, billet shift stops, some other stuff he does, he is the number 1 MT-82 builder bar none), so yea that about does it. 

Its a hell of a fun car, and been a 7 year long never ending project of joy. Truley love that thing.

it “only” makes 290/270 to the wheels, but really, it’s plenty enough, and the torque curve is very good and flat. It is substantially better than a stock motor looking at my vs stock dunno graphs. Sure, on a fast track a more powerful car will run away, but it’s nimble, lively, fun, sounds fantastic, a bit light on its feet compared to a v8, and being that I did all the work myself it’s a huge sense of pride, thus the reason this post was so long lol. 

thats a lot of stuff done to it...  and I hear you on the stock shifter... I just did the Barton 2 post shifter mount and the Whiteline trans mount and just that was like a 300% improvement.  I've heard good things about the MGW shifters but never actually used one.

so when is the V8 swap? :D

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

2 hours ago, warmmilk said:

thats a lot of stuff done to it...  and I hear you on the stock shifter... I just did the Barton 2 post shifter mount and the Whiteline trans mount and just that was like a 300% improvement.  I've heard good things about the MGW shifters but never actually used one.

so when is the V8 swap? :D

Yea I had the original Barton bracket, but right when my first trans took a shit MGW came out with their race spec for the MT-82 so I grabbed one ASAP. Totally worth it.

And the coyote swap if it ever was to happen likely would have just been done if it were to be done seeing as I just pulled the trans. Coulda had a 5.0 trans build instead.... they are basically the same, but different bell housings and ever so slightly different ratios. But then my driveshaft would have to be replaced, new MGW linkages, PITA wiring etc. It’s just more than it’s worth.

Plus, when I want to go full hoon mode, my father has a 2015 5.0 with a phat Whipple on it making 680/540 to the wheels. KW V3’s, some BMR rear end stuff, also an MGW Race Spec, DSS CF DS, DSS 1400hp axles, McLeod RXT, blah blah blah it’s a lot of car lol. I drove it for a track day at the Roval and about shat myself. I have driven it at auto club infield and it can be a handful as it’s heavy at 3900 lbs, but the roval was nuts. I was doing 140 by the start finish line and at about 150 it got real light; needs downforce bad. Had to slow down for the banked turn out of pure fear lol. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Yea I had the original Barton bracket, but right when my first trans took a shit MGW came out with their race spec for the MT-82 so I grabbed one ASAP. Totally worth it.

And the coyote swap if it ever was to happen likely would have just been done if it were to be done seeing as I just pulled the trans. Coulda had a 5.0 trans build instead.... they are basically the same, but different bell housings and ever so slightly different ratios. But then my driveshaft would have to be replaced, new MGW linkages, PITA wiring etc. It’s just more than it’s worth.

Plus, when I want to go full hoon mode, my father has a 2015 5.0 with a phat Whipple on it making 680/540 to the wheels. KW V3’s, some BMR rear end stuff, also an MGW Race Spec, DSS CF DS, DSS 1400hp axles, McLeod RXT, blah blah blah it’s a lot of car lol. I drove it for a track day at the Roval and about shat myself. I have driven it at auto club infield and it can be a handful as it’s heavy at 3900 lbs, but the roval was nuts. I was doing 140 by the start finish line and at about 150 it got real light; needs downforce bad. Had to slow down for the banked turn out of pure fear lol. 

haha yeah, I 680whp would definitely make for a handful on the track...  personally I subscribe to the slow car on track fast car on street theory..  cause you have have lots of fun on the street with a fast powerful car, but brown pants is a huge factor when pushing serious power on track... and its no fun to be putting around at 5/10 even if you are still going fast.  I like to be the guy on the Miata chasing down the 680 whp car haha.  I think the fastest car I chased down was a viper at 640 whp... but driver was obviously lacking...

V8 swap comment was mostly sarcasm... if you actually wanted a V8, it'd make more sense to buy a GT and swap  over all the non V6 specific parts

6 hours ago, vetali said:

v6s are trumpety. Catless makes it a turd trumpet. 

Some are fine, but Nissan's VQ engines are the epitome of trumpets.

4 hours ago, spwath said:

But it's not in the US. Not many sporty hatch backs or wagons in the US, and almost none with 4wd now that wrx hatchback doesn't exist.

Did someone say... buy a Focus RS?

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Had to slow down for the banked turn out of pure fear lol. 

Slowing down for a banked turn? Those things are free downforce. Pedal down, my good sir!

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

30 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

snip

problem exists between..... wheel and chair?

Man why you all gotta be downers all the time? Just cause something went wrong doesn't turn the exception into the rule. You guys are no fun.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

56 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

problem exists between..... wheel and chair?

Man why you all gotta be downers all the time? Just cause something went wrong doesn't turn the exception into the rule. You guys are no fun.

lol, hey I still don't see a downside, we get some great video footage of SAFER barriers in action

Someone buy my focus so I can have another 182 plis

IMG_20181230_112359_707.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

y

because i dont like the focus as much

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

20 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

dan are you really starting to regret buying a FoST?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Slowing down for a banked turn? Those things are free downforce. Pedal down, my good sir!

I know. It adds a huge amount of grip, but it felt so uneasy. Had a buddy there in a v10 r8 said he was hitting the bank at 160, and another buddy in a GT3 was right around the same, but I just couldn’t. Car didn’t feel like it wanted to do that lol. It’s devently well set up, corner balanced by west end which is a pretty well known place. But it was the first s550 they had done, it can use some tweaking. 

Beyond all else, more tire and downforce is needed. Things a beast on the street, but a handful on track! I’d take my slow ass v6 all day on track lol. Way more agile and controllable. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Yeah, VQs sound like turd trumpets regardless. Not many V6s exist that sound good to me. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

19 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

This unicorn lives near my dorm in Kortrijk, Belgium. A TVR Tuscan.

Truly is a unicorn. You found the only TVR in existence that isn't in a workshop getting mended :D

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

dan are you really starting to regret buying a FoST?

Ive regretted it from day 0

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Annnnnd you got it why?

5 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Did someone say... buy a Focus RS?

Well the focus RS is discontinued in US after 2018 too.

Plus I really do want 4wd, so much snow here.

For now, my 2012 impreza hatchback is fine, its just slow.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

My daily: 2010 MK6 Golf GTI, APR Stage 1 Tune

10625114_10154536745515461_9139438976043

My fixer-upper: Car was writen off (repairable write off), just need to replace a few body panels and then take it in and try get it re-licensed. Has a manualised T400 with 4000rpm stall, 383 stoker (billet crank) and a small magnuson mp122 super charger.

970684_10200985522498168_1065295941_n.jp

They're both old photos, neither look that pristine anymore the golf has has a hard last couple years and the clubsport was written off and half the panels needs replacing.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Annnnnd you got it why?

The clios dead

I got myself a set of new coaxial speakers to replace the originals in my Saab and boy is there a difference between the soon 19 years old speakers and brand new ones. 

I've also done a lot of progress on my dirt cheap A8, I'll do a longer post about it tomorrow as I'm getting ready to sleep. 

sketch-1546213059349.thumb.png.bd7336c018460b6e2c662151ea03fdfd.png

sketch-1546213198357.thumb.png.2049117d0b1d2279b4c97375cfcb0973.png

sketch-1546213400997.thumb.png.0ef205cad01a064a3e7fd6b337c765fb.png

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

1 hour ago, Oskar94a said:

I got myself a set of new coaxial speakers to replace the originals in my Saab and boy is there a difference between the soon 19 years old speakers and brand new ones. 

I've also done a lot of progress on my dirt cheap A8, I'll do a longer post about it tomorrow as I'm getting ready to sleep. 

Are those S4 or S5 peelers?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB