Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

45 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

This is pretty fun

Screenshot_20181219-100827.png

The JZ (not sure if its a 1 or a 2 tho lol) needs a different sound tho

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

23 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

IMG_5132.jpg

This pic is neat

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

48387224_2062356557153442_7663580987443380224_o.thumb.jpg.d830db5f73e920d761fed279bb732783.jpg

On 12/18/2018 at 10:28 PM, vinyldash303 said:

EBC Yellowstuff

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

Stoptech Sport (309 compound) 

21 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Love my EBCs ❤️

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

I used to have HawkHPS

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I love my PBR/Axxis Ultimates.

I've been thinking about looking into new brake pads. After 23.5k miles the first few stops I've been hearing the screech recently but it goes away after a bit, so I'd actually have to pull them off to see how low they actually are. So for now this is just for research. I mostly see for my car Hawk HPS recommended for street performance. I wont ever see a track on a regular basis (Dont tell Not_Sean I said that :D) and since my wheels are Gray/Black I'm not as concerned with "as low dust as possible" but low dust is still a want. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

50 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've been thinking about looking into new brake pads. After 23.5k miles the first few stops I've been hearing the screech recently but it goes away after a bit, so I'd actually have to pull them off to see how low they actually are. So for now this is just for research. I mostly see for my car Hawk HPS recommended for street performance. I wont ever see a track on a regular basis (Dont tell Not_Sean I said that :D) and since my wheels are Gray/Black I'm not as concerned with "as low dust as possible" but low dust is still a want. 

if you're completely anti dust, just get the centric premium(edit: actually called Posi-quiet) pads (literally nothing special about them... they are the type a random mechanic would slap onto your car and call it a day). I just know they barely dust... used them on my dad's old A6(the one that was crashed into a while back). they didn't dust at all basically. (and they also come with all the shims and hardware(clips, rubber bits, etc) too... which is nice!)

any "performance" (street/track/whatever) pad is going to dust more than any "normal person" pad if I'm honest.

there's a lot of marketing surrounding brake pads.. it's tough to sort through it all. Good luck

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

50 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

if you're completely anti dust, just get the centric premium pads (literally nothing special about them... they are the type a random mechanic would slap onto your car). I just know they barely dust... used them on my dad's old A6(the one that was crashed into a while back). they didn't dust at all basically.

any "performance" (street/track/whatever) pad is going to dust more than any "normal person" pad if I'm honest.

there's a lot of marketing surrounding brake pads.. it's tough to sort through it all. Good luck

I use the stoptech street pads and they’re pretty low dust. Great bite too. Stoptech is made by centric.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Fortunately I dont think at this time I'm completely anti-dust. The current brake pads have had basically no dust that I can notice over the life of them across now three wheel colors and spoke sizes. Im just glad (It might have been you) someone talked me out of Big Brake Kits for my Focus for street only. That's $1200-3000 depending on Brembo or Wilwood I saved in front/Back kits

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Fortunately I dont think at this time I'm completely anti-dust. The current brake pads have had basically no dust that I can notice over the life of them across now three wheel colors and spoke sizes. Im just glad (It might have been you) someone talked me out of Big Brake Kits for my Focus for street only. That's $1200-3000 depending on Brembo or Wilwood I saved in front/Back kits

I don't think it was me.. but yeah for a street car you don't really need huge brakes unless you're doing really illegal things on the highway on a regular basis :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

unless you're doing really illegal things on the highway on a regular basis

TV is the kind of guy that'd snort a blend of 11 different 'herbs and spices' when flying down the highway.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

TV is the kind of guy that'd snort a blend of 11 different 'herbs and spices' when flying down the highway.

" Uh, no, this is high grade cannabis sold to me for $128/oz. I bet you made up the word "Oregano" to try and trick me! "

Driving a škoda roomster as a replacement for the baguette till january ... hwo in the hell thought putting a 1,2L 3 cylinder 60HP engine in a 1,5 tonne car would even make a sensible trim option ...

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Europe. Because fuck you.

Fucked like a French..

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Ill be going with a willwood kit but I plan on tracking my car at some point. 

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don't think it was me.. but yeah for a street car you don't really need huge brakes unless you're doing really illegal things on the highway on a regular basis :P

He wouldnt need that big of brakes unless he upgrades turbo. For stock turbo just a simple rotor and pad upgrade is good enough. 

Also are ST coil-overs any good. Im thinking about going with Koni coil-overs but idk whats good out there. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

16 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

He wouldnt need that big of brakes unless he upgrades turbo.

Well Funny story about that....

17 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Also are ST coil-overs any good. Im thinking about going with Koni coil-overs but idk whats good out there. 

A lot of people have BC. Eiback and H&R are also popular. @Not_Sean convinced me to go static lowered with springs and shocks

32 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

A lot of people have BC. Eiback and H&R are also popular. @Not_Sean convinced me to go static lowered with springs and shocks

you finally got a bigger turbo?

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

you finally got a bigger turbo?

I mean It's still planned

My parents have a Honda Civic 2016 and a Toyota 2008 LE. 

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I mean It's still planned

Im having mine put in, May. The shop doesnt want to road dyno it in the winter. Ill be having the turbo, charge pipes, forge DV, limited slip diff, maybe new clutches, water/meth injection, dsg tune, retune, willwood brake kit, and maybe full coilovers if theres money left over. 

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Im having mine put in, May. The shop doesnt want to road dyno it in the winter. Ill be having the turbo, charge pipes, forge DV, limited slip diff, maybe new clutches, water/meth injection, dsg tune, retune, willwood brake kit, and maybe full coilovers if theres money left over. 

I thought the GTI came with a limited slip diff already

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I thought the GTI came with a limited slip diff already

Its a electronic limited slip diff in the mk6 and 7 though i think the mk7 gets a mechanical one if you get the sport pack on it. Ill be having a mechanical one put in.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

He wouldnt need that big of brakes unless he upgrades turbo. For stock turbo just a simple rotor and pad upgrade is good enough. 

you say that but technically no... he only needs it if he'll be doing stops from high speeds more often (Or going down mountains.. im just assuming he's not doing that)

Which  you're right in a sense that a turbo could make you do that more often for sure. but you if you're not forcing yourself to use the brakes more often from high speeds then you wont notice a difference. (which arguably you aren't making use of your mods lol)

which i mean you get to higher speeds quicker with the turbo.. maybe I should just stop talking lol

I guess if you live in a city and stay in a city all day then you can prob get away with stock brakes. but then I must ask.. why exactly did you upgrade your turbo then? lol

Spoiler

also @MadyTehWolfie @TVwazhere I hear great things about JRZ and Ohlins suspension... though I also think they are uber expensive. I hear so many great things that they are probably worth it lol

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you say that but technically no... he only needs it if he'll be doing stops from high speeds more often (Or going down mountains.. im just assuming he's not doing that)

Which  you're right in a sense that a turbo could make you do that more often for sure. but you if you're not forcing yourself to use the brakes more often from high speeds then you wont notice a difference. (which arguably you aren't making use of your mods lol)

which i mean you get to higher speeds quicker with the turbo.. maybe I should just stop talking lol

I guess if you live in a city and stay in a city all day then you can prob get away with stock brakes. but then I must ask.. why exactly did you upgrade your turbo then? lol

To not break the law and have my car impounded and my drivers licensee taken away lol No worries i got hat you were saying. Typically the focus ST and the MK6 gti are close to each other in terms of power/stages. ST stock is like a light stage 1 tune gti after that they pretty much make the same. With the power of stage 2 unless you go on the highway your not going to really ned the bigger brakes. With a bigger turbo youll be getting up there a lot faster and needing to stop a lot sooner when on the back roads etc. On the highway you can take your time. Even around the back roads stage 2+ in my gti I dont really need bigger brakes yet. Though you really shouldnt be pushing your car to that limit on the back roads anyway. 

Remember the viral report a few years ago of the Jeep that was "hacked" with physical access?

This video shows Chrysler's fix at the start. 

Not sure, but quite possible that no 3rd party scanners will be able to communicate with this vehicle. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

why not just go air suspension?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D