Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

how

Somehow I've only used 3GB this cycle, which is really odd for me.

I have a tremendous hatred for phones as a concept. Which leads me to use them sparsely.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

riiiiiiiipppp

I've hit 40GB of LTE and never got throttled which was surprising.

but i got a smaller carrier that piggybacks off a major carrier's network. i want my dad to ditch cricket and go with t-mobile and also ditch our cable tv so we can get netflix included and save some bucks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Someone who knows trucks, explain to me how I'm an idiot.

You know the lock for the spare wheel? You stick the key in, turn it until the key is locked in and pull the cylinder out? Why the fuck isn't that working.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

but i got a smaller carrier that piggybacks off a major carrier's network. i want my dad to ditch cricket and go with t-mobile and also ditch our cable tv so we can get netflix included and save some bucks.

I've got MetroPCS and they piggy-back off of T-Mobile as well if I'm not mistaken.

Sidenote, absolutely amazing how much of a difference a phone makes for signal. At my house my old Samsung Avant barely got any signal at all, and my LG K8 (aka Aristo) that I got over the summer gets anywhere between 1 and 3 bars of 4G depending on where I am in the house.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, techswede said:

I have a tremendous hatred for phones as a concept. Which leads me to use them sparsely.

Hehe, sounds like me.  I barely use mine.  Which helps, since I share a data plan with the parents (my Mom gets a good discount on the plan).  So, I just pay my half each month.

Though, have to switch it to an Unlimited plan since the home Internet will be running of the network.  Still going to turn out cheaper than the sat connection.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You know the lock for the spare wheel? You stick the key in, turn it until the key is locked in and pull the cylinder out? Why the fuck isn't that working.

Murphy's law?

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Hehe, sounds like me.  I barely use mine.  Which helps, since I share a data plan with the parents (my Mom gets a good discount on the plan).  So, I just pay my half each month.

They are awful devices. The only saving grace my current one has is that it had a good camera and that i can listen to e-books on it. 

Stephen Fry makes a fantastic point about them

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It’s like that on our suburban... idk about others tho. 

But yeah you turn it about halfway clockwise and it pulls right out easily.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

28 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’s like that on our suburban... idk about others tho. 

But yeah you turn it about halfway clockwise and it pulls right out easily.

Yeah well mine is borked evidently. Going to swear at it later tonight I guess.

20 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Mine has a hole behind the rear plate that you shove the tire iron in and you spin it clockwise and it lowers the tire on a little cable winch dealy bob

Same thing here.

8 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Spent some time looking at some cars here with my mom.

I showed her a Golf 4 GTI, a Golf 3 GTI, an A3 1.8T (same engine as the Golf 4 GTI), the Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6, 125hp), 306 GTI S16, 206 GTI 1.6, 147 1.6 TS, Corolla AE92 GT-i (4A-GE powered), a few E46 320i's, the IS200, an E110 Corolla with a 1.3 engine (90hp IIRC, but I do like the looks, for reference, search Corolla WRC hehe), an Opel Corsa B GSI (1.6, 110hp).

Golf 4 - is approved, but not much was said

Golf 3 - "had to be a GTI" / "old car"

A3 1.8T - is approved and likes it

Suzuki Swift Sport - "match box"

306 - not much was said

206 - is approved, mostly because people we know drive them...

147 - is approved, but I'm affraid of maintenance on the Twin Spark engine

AE92 - "old car" / "junk"

E46s and IS200 - "old man cars"

E110 - "old" / not that good looking

Corsa B - not much was said (usual old car comment)

Some random shit

An E46 and an IS200 are old man cars, but she wouldn't mind me driving a MB W203. MIND=WTF

Also said an W202 wouldn't be bad. Why? Because people we know drive them... Totally not an old man's car. /s

A Suzuki Swift is a match box, but she won't say the same about a Peugeot 206. MIND=FUCKED

She said also said she doesn't want me to get a car that drinks heaps of fuel and isn't that powerful, because, 1st car, when my brother drives a RWD 2 seater with no TC and does 10/11 L/100km. Ok.........................

Really goes to show how non-car people think. -__-

I dont see a C2 in this list

Dislike

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

10 hours ago, techswede said:

Can't see a notch on my screenshot either

Oh wait. I don't have a notch in the top of my screen :P

Aay. Finally someone else with halebop. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Group chat

Why don't we make a WhatsApp group? Or Facebook messenger group? They're both free, work with iPhone/Android/Computer and anyone can leave/join easily.  

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

We should make a watts app thing

Yeah. We just need peoples phone numbers. (probably best to do that via PMs?)

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

Why don't we make a WhatsApp group? Or Facebook messenger group? They're both free, work with iPhone/Android/Computer and anyone can leave/join easily.  

Discord works so much better imho.

41 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Discord works so much better imho.

Never tried it. Messenger is really convenient. 

Damn, I really hope that by the time I'm 16 my parents won't have sold our 1998 Volvo S70 T5. I wanna learn to drive a stick shift (as in, I know how I just want to do it "full time"). The only thing that sucks about it is it's FWD I believe. But damn, I watched some videos on YouTube, and a straight pipe, turbocharged inline 5 sounds pretty damn good.

Also sorry if I sound retarded. I know a bit about cars, but not that much. Like, I know how an engine works, and know the differences between, say, a 4 stroke engine and a 2 stroke one, or a boxer 4 and inline 4, but I'm still learning. Please understand that.

EDIT: I also fucking love sleepers. If anyone has any cool pictures or videos, please feel free to share them!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Damn, I really hope that by the time I'm 16 my parents won't have sold our 1998 Volvo S70 T5. I wanna learn to drive a stick shift (as in, I know how I just want to do it "full time"). The only thing that sucks about it is it's FWD I believe. But damn, I watched some videos on YouTube, and a straight pipe, turbocharged inline 5 sounds pretty damn good.

Also sorry if I sound retarded. I know a bit about cars, but not that much. Like, I know how an engine works, and know the differences between, say, a 4 stroke engine and a 2 stroke one, or a boxer 4 and inline 4, but I'm still learning. Please understand that.

EDIT: I also fucking love sleepers. If anyone has any cool pictures or videos, please feel free to share them!

You don't sound retarded. xD On the contrary, you seem pretty knowledgeable. 

Isn't the point of a sleeper to not have cool pictures? :P

(And damn you Americans for getting to drive at 16). 

38 minutes ago, IKnight said:

You don't sound retarded. xD On the contrary, you seem pretty knowledgeable. 

Isn't the point of a sleeper to not have cool pictures? :P

(And damn you Americans for getting to drive at 16). 

Well, you know what I mean. Pictures of a shitty car :P

Also, it might be 18 here in Canada. Not quite sure.

EDIT: Thanks BTW. You know what for ;)

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes it's a FWD, but an awesome one :). Good car to learn to drive stick shift, pretty bulletproof transmission as far as I know. Just go easy on the turbo if the engine is still cold, and never turn it off while the turbo is still glowing hot. Let it idle for a minute or two. 

Wi RoZ

I also found this gem (on trending) and thought I'd share it with you guys:

And here's the eBay page for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253238842214

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

What do you all think of Mazda6s from 2005-2009? Any major issues? I see there were quite a few recalls issued mostly for air bags but otherwise good and sound mechanically as long as the previous owner took care of it in that regard and not too many surprises that it should have?

If I could find a Mazdaspeed6 I would consider that lol But I can only really find Mazda3s and Mazda6s of that era.

I kinda like the Mazda3s from then but there's more I like about the mazda6 as a whole from that time.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I dont see a C2 in this list

Dislike

Those cost as much as an E46... And I'd rather have a 106 over that :P

Tbh, I'm a bit affraid of the C2's only because of the driving position... Not sure how they are...

I really really need to test drive a shit load of cars before buying one tho.

21 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I also found this gem (on trending) and thought I'd share it with you guys:

That's actually pretty good.

Oh, and current bid on Ebay is at 55k USD.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Those cost as much as an E46... And I'd rather have a 106 over that :P

Tbh, I'm a bit affraid of the C2's only because of the driving position... Not sure how they are...

I really really need to test drive a shit load of cars before buying one tho.

That's actually pretty good.

Oh, and current bid on Ebay is at 55k USD.

Agreed.

I noticed that, that's why I included the link :P 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

12 hours ago, techswede said:

I'll never use up 24 gigs of mobile data in my lifetime though. So it ain't too bad. 

I've used double that in a single month. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've used double that in a single month. 

How?? I have 1gb per month.