Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I use M1 euro 0w-40 in the Miata along with a tall size ultra fram filter

actually thinking about running the ultra fram filter for 10k miles but changing oil every 5k...

i find i agree with the BITOG forums a lot

Also run 0-40 in the 9-5

Never really even saw it on shelves much before hand

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

8 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Also run 0-40 in the 9-5

Never really even saw it on shelves much before hand

In my dad's A6 we run a certain liquimoly 5w-40 and I think a Mann filter....

only because we go on the Europa parts website and you can just select from all the VW specified oils and stuff from a bulleted list and hit "buy" and bam it's all at your door. Even can order a drain plug and gaskets and everything from them. 

Super convienent. Usually comes out to about $80ish for oil, filter, and drain plug gasket. (7 liters (~7.5 quarts iirc) of oil, and the filter is HUGE, kind of explains the price). Plus he changes at 7500 so not too bad in terms of cost.

but beats ME having to go find everything for him every time. He just orders it and when the box appears in the garage I know I need to change it for him

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

In our suburban I just put in the mobil 1 5w-30 (stuff is only $22/5 qts... pretty nice) and a fram ultra. Change at 7500 ish.

we don't drive that thing as much so it'll go a while between OCI's..

and good thing we don't drive it much I looked the other day at the average MPG and it was 11... lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I wished that wagons caught on in North America.

The Audi A3 looks properly good as a "Sportback", as Audi likes to call it. And it's even available as an RS3 for those who are into that.

Live in the USA and want a BMW wagon? Tough luck, you have ONE choice, and it's the 3 series. And only two engine choices (One diesel, One petrol). Sucks that you can't get the 5 series as a wagon either, because that one looks really good as well. You don't even get the 1 series :(

Man. I always forget how many cars that are left out from the US market.

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

In my dad's A6 we run a certain liquimoly 5w-40 and I think a Mann filter....

only because we go on the Europa parts website and you can just select from all the VW specified oils and stuff from a bulleted list and hit "buy" and bam it's all at your door. Even can order a drain plug and gaskets and everything from them. 

Super convienent. Usually comes out to about $80ish for oil, filter, and drain plug gasket. (7 liters (~7.5 quarts iirc) of oil, and the filter is HUGE, kind of explains the price). Plus he changes at 7500 so not too bad in terms of cost.

but beats ME having to go find everything for him every time. He just orders it and when the box appears in the garage I know I need to change it for him

I've put about 2500 miles on my car since I did my last oil change. Probably gonna do it in another 1250 miles or so due to me beating on the car on occasion.

Also gonna pick up a magnetic drain plug bolt from somewhere, just to make sure no shavings are floating around

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

In our suburban I just put in the mobil 1 5w-30 (stuff is only $22/5 qts... pretty nice) and a fram ultra. Change at 7500 ish.

we don't drive that thing as much so it'll go a while between OCI's..

and good thing we don't drive it much I looked the other day at the average MPG and it was 11... lol

Meanwhile lately mine has been between 15 and 16 because like I mentioned earlier I'm doing deliveries for JJ now, 200 miles has been 2/3 of the tank, which I'm not ecstatic about. But I also make about $40 or so in tips per shift which is what it costs to fill the car, and I do maybe 30 miles per shift (so like 2 gallons)

It's all hardcore city driving though. They want me to be from leaving the building door to coming back in to be around 8 minutes when possible. And most deliveries are about 3 miles one way. So it's kinda hard on the car

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

The Audi A3 looks properly good as a "Sportback", as Audi likes to call it. And it's even available as an RS3 for those who are into that.

Live in the USA and want a BMW wagon? Tough luck, you have ONE choice, and it's the 3 series. And only two engine choices (One diesel, One petrol). Sucks that you can't get the 5 series as a wagon either, because that one looks really good as well. You don't even get the 1 series :(

Just wait 25 years :(

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Because Merica. Everyone either wants an eco car, a sports car(a lot less of this tho), a truck, or a giant SUV

Spoiler

7 seconds to 60MPH with 2 passengers, and a hatch full of groceries. Not bad for a car that weighs 3600lbs with no one in it.

@RevoltTrain I hate how much harder city driving is on a car... 

my summer commute is almost all highway so I've been doing pretty well considering the car has been stuck in open loop (supposedly anyway -- it may not be?? @vetali) I've been getting upper 20's. 

And that's with putting my foot down and going through gears on occassion. I normally fill up at a quarter left and it's been 220+ miles last couple times

Love my car too much lol

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

@RevoltTrain I hate how much harder city driving is on a car... 

my summer commute is almost all highway so I've been doing pretty well considering the car has been stuck in open loop (supposedly anyway -- it may not be?? @vetali) I've been getting upper 20's. 

And that's with putting my foot down and going through gears on occassion. 

Love my car too much lol

I haven't gotten any actual highway driving in since I got my new ECU, so I don't know what my new highway MPG is. But 15 is 2.6 more than what I got in aggressive city driving untuned

My highway before was around 24 or so, so maybe 26 now? 

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Good thing I don't live in the US. :ph34r:

Must be nice

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

I haven't gotten any actual highway driving in since I got my new ECU, so I don't know what my new highway MPG is. But 15 is 2.6 more than what I got in aggressive city driving untuned

My highway before was around 24 or so, so maybe 26 now? 

Must be nice

24 + 16% = 27.8

not saying you'll get that but following the % gain is usually more accurate than just looking at numbers. 

Spoiler

@RevoltTrain if they made the area where cruising load/rpm a good bit leaner than normal you may even get more than that so long as you stick to low engine load, consistent speeds on the highway.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

24 + 16% = 27.8

not saying you'll get that but following the % gain is usually more accurate than just looking at numbers. 

People tend to say a couple MPG, so I was just saying 2 to be conservative :)

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

@RevoltTrain if they made the area where cruising load/rpm a good bit leaner than normal you may even get more than that so long as you stick to low engine load, consistent speeds on the highway.

60-70 MPH is a little over 2K RPM, so not bad really. I may be heading up to the local beach town this weekend to do car stuff with some friends if they're free (So @vinyldash303 can experience the fun stuff in my area) and that's about 20 or so miles on the highway. Not much but it's something at least. Michigan highways are typically about 70MPH speed limit at the lowest

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Must be nice.

Generally, yes. But the cost of fuel is about x2 from what you have in the US.

It's just the lack of engine-, and style options you guy have when it comes to cars. It's all pretty much sedans, trucks, and SUV's. Small cars, wagons, and hot-hatches are nowhere to be found.

Along with manual transmissions, of course. I for one would love to have a BMW 140i with a manual. A fairly small car with a good amount of power.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Generally, yes. But the cost of fuel is about x2 from what you have in the US.

It's just the lack of engine-, and style options you guy have when it comes to cars. It's all pretty much sedans, trucks, and SUV's. Small cars, wagons, and hot-hatches are nowhere to be found.

Along with manual transmissions, of course. I for one would love to have a BMW 140i with a manual. A fairly small car with a good amount of power.

I wanna move to Canada, other than the fact that their dollar is in the drain. Or was last time I checked anyway

Found a set of OEM Thule Crossbars on eBay for $55. Guess I know what I'm buying on Friday when I get paid

Geez I haven't gone online for a long time, what have I missed?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

13 minutes ago, DimasRMDO said:

Geez I haven't gone online for a long time, what have I missed?

86Fax37.gif

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

54 minutes ago, techswede said:

snip

ewY4Zjd_700w_0.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

7 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

dollar is in the drain. 

It's always in the drain.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Well guys, I'm 18! Gonna get my title done today and my license renewed. :)

But I've been talking to some of the guys over on the Ducati forums, showing them pictures of the bike that I am going to see and they all recommend against it, apparently it looks like it's been used as a track bike. I'm still going to go see the bike, but at this point I'm not sure if I will actually be trading. If I inspect the bike and it all goes well then yes, but if it was a track bike I don't want a money pit in my hands.

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. @bcredeur97 has been telling me for a while I need to get on here so... here I am! I make the Shooting Cars videos on YouTube that someone once said "I could make better videos than you with a 10 year old phone" but guess what? They haven't done it yet and, well, I still make videos! Anyway, looking forward to jumping in here and maybe bouncing some video ideas off you guy? 

IMG_2795.GIF

5 minutes ago, Shootingcars said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. @bcredeur97 has been telling me for a while I need to get on here so... here I am! I make the Shooting Cars videos on YouTube that someone once said "I could make better videos than you with a 10 year old phone" but guess what? They haven't done it yet and, well, I still make videos! Anyway, looking forward to jumping in here and maybe bouncing some video ideas off you guy? 

*SNIP*

Welcome!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro