Scraping noise from one of my fans

Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
4 hours ago, SubsetZero said:

Could I just leave it like that and not care or could something happen?

The likelihood of something "bad" happening is very low honestly. Most fans fail in a manner where they get much louder and let you know to stop using them, or just stop working all together. If you are envisioning it flying off and cutting things up, not likely. If you think about it, many of us have accidentally stuck fingers in PC fans before without incident.

You should be fine to let it go until the noise gets more annoying.

Recently, one of my case fans started making a noise as if it was scraping something. I tested every fan and found the one. It was a case fan and for some reason at exactly 47% duty cycle it does this scrapping noise. My case is the fractal north and the fan is one of the case fans that comes with it. Now my guess is that it's just the resonance frequency and I can't do much about it since I've already opened my pc and looked for the fault. Does anyone have any other idea or can solve this mystery? I could make a recording of the sound if that helps. 

Make sure you don't have a bunch of built up dust inside your case.

You can try moving that fan a bit, or swapping a fan to a different position. If it's vertical, try and keep it vertical during these tests (while moving it doesn't matter, switching it's orientation, may mask a failure temporarily). This would help tell you if it's a resonance thing, or just a bad fan. Bad fans would be more common than resonance, especially as the fans that come with cases aren't always the highest of quality (that's not to say there is anything necessarily "wrong" with them either).

20 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Make sure you don't have a bunch of built up dust inside your case.

You can try moving that fan a bit, or swapping a fan to a different position. If it's vertical, try and keep it vertical during these tests (while moving it doesn't matter, switching it's orientation, may mask a failure temporarily). This would help tell you if it's a resonance thing, or just a bad fan. Bad fans would be more common than resonance, especially as the fans that come with cases aren't always the highest of quality (that's not to say there is anything necessarily "wrong" with them either).

I dont think that its dust since the pc isnt that old and i didnt see much dust when I opened it. I guess I could switch the fan since I have spare but I would still like to ask something. Could I just leave it like that and not care or could something happen?

Could be a broken fan or maybe a wire is getting in  the way

4 hours ago, SubsetZero said:

Could I just leave it like that and not care or could something happen?

The likelihood of something "bad" happening is very low honestly. Most fans fail in a manner where they get much louder and let you know to stop using them, or just stop working all together. If you are envisioning it flying off and cutting things up, not likely. If you think about it, many of us have accidentally stuck fingers in PC fans before without incident.

You should be fine to let it go until the noise gets more annoying.

What does the scraping noise sound like? Is the fan loose on the bearing? It could be because of the speed that it rotates around on the bearing, and the blades scrape the frame.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"I didn't die! I performed a tactical reset!" - Apollolol