Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Yeah, but I don't consider myself a bad/agressive driver.

Then you might be an outlier.

7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Garage space. I have a two car garage with two cars and two motorcycles. No room for additional projects. 

Get a shed in a yard. ;)

7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

If those aren't troll level 9000, I have no idea what is. 

FR5.0

230155427814309888.png

5 hours ago, vetali said:

at least once a lap. 

Well shit I'm glad about the leaking oilpan and the 55 gallon drum mounted to the roof to drip oil back in to the engine. /s

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

mmmmmm sweet rotary goodness 

mmmmmmmmm torqueless

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

First leg of trip done. House in oregon to Seattle was 276 ish miles. Doing 60-75 the entire way depending on speed limit, and not being too easy on the throttle, and with 500 pounds of people and luggage, the S10 got 20.6 MPG. 

Pretty impressive given tire are 4" bigger than stock, with the automagic, and a big 4.3 V6. 

Oh that reminds me, I was getting 5 mpg north of Las Cruces when I was going down to El Paso last Saturday because we had a cross/headwind kicking up to 70 mph. That was fun. Ate a quarter tank of gas in 30 mile stretch. :(

11 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Since this is a huge car thread could you guys check out my post and help me decide on a car?

$70k is enough to get you decent Porsche 911 if you want to take that route. Would be a few years old, but still very nice.

12 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Where do you find fairly new GTRs and R8s for under 70K?

Autotrader, Carmax, ETC

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

28 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Well a women in a sub almost side swiped me on the highway. Hate drivers who can't stay in their own lane going around a turn. What made it worse was it was a right bend and I was in the right lane and the road was banked right and she still steered into my lane almost mashing her car against mine. So I did what any sane person would do. Lay on the horn then after passing give her the finger.

that almost happened to me and my mom when she was driving me home from school some guy in a bmw (typical) was on the inside turn lane, and my mom was on the outside and we both made the turn, yet he took it too wide, thinking my mom wasn't there and almost hit us. i literally gave him double middle fingers because like how the fuck do you not see a hunk of minivan.

28 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Since this is a huge car thread could you guys check out my post and help me decide on a car?

god damn it, why can't you get something a bit older that you can mess around with? because i was about to suggest something a bit cheaper like a supra, then spending whatever you didn't spend on the car and making it fast? If it were me, I would take that route, take something a bit older, but better for modding and make it faster than new cars today.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

14f5875c1c.png

2ez

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

17 minutes ago, terrytek said:

that almost happened to me and my mom when she was driving me home from school some guy in a bmw (typical) was on the inside turn lane, and my mom was on the outside and we both made the turn, yet he took it too wide, thinking my mom wasn't there and almost hit us. i literally gave him double middle fingers because like how the fuck do you not see a hunk of minivan.

god damn it, why can't you get something a bit older that you can mess around with? because i was about to suggest something a bit cheaper like a supra, then spending whatever you didn't spend on the car and making it fast? If it were me, I would take that route, take something a bit older, but better for modding and make it faster than new cars today.

I was in the inner lane they were in the outer lane and were to scared of the guard rail so they went into my lane. All I know is if a wall or rail scares you that much where you potentially fuck up someone else your not ready to get behind the wheel of a car. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

58 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Maybe, just maybe. And bear with me here.. People want something reliable.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

and something that can turn

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Just now, vetali said:

and something that can turn

Can't imagine why you would want something that can turn.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

the 2jz is essentially a bulletproof engine. i haven't heard in the news much about 2jz's randomly blowing holes, unlike the ford ecoboost motor, so it's a pretty stout motor, it can handle a lot of abuse. sorry if i sound kinda pretentious here, but if you spend maybe 30 grand on a manual supra, you could spend that other 40 or so K making good reliable power.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

the 2jz is essentially a bulletproof engine.

lol

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

lol

it is. it's a very strong iron block, sleeved cylinder walls, so it's able to take a beating as it is. and with some extra mods, like stronger pistons, conrods, that sorta thing, it's a super strong platform to build on. honestly with 70 grand, with 30 grand going towards a clean body supra, that 40 grand can go a long way, and you could make a fun 600hp dare i say it canyon cruiser supra.

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

the 2jz is essentially a bulletproof engine. i haven't heard in the news much about 2jz's randomly blowing holes, unlike the ford ecoboost motor, so it's a pretty stout motor, it can handle a lot of abuse. sorry if i sound kinda pretentious here, but if you spend maybe 30 grand on a manual supra, you could spend that other 40 or so K making good reliable power.

it's a reliable engine. In the same way my miata engine is reliable. a turbo motor, when run without a turbo will probably last a long time because it's made to take a lot more stress than you'll throw at it N/A.

I know my last engine was kind of sketchy with all the rust inside and stuff and all and it died a really early death, but just know.... things can and DO happen. There's no guarantee ANY engine will last you x miles or x years.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

it is. it's a very strong iron block, sleeved cylinder walls, so it's able to take a beating as it is. and with some extra mods, like stronger pistons, conrods, that sorta thing, it's a super strong platform to build on. honestly with 70 grand, with 30 grand going towards a clean body supra, that 40 grand can go a long way, and you could make a fun 600hp dare i say it canyon cruiser supra.

A honda has sleeved cylinder walls. 

2jz is a strong motor, but so are a lot out there, at a lot less of a ricer tax. 

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

A honda has sleeved cylinder walls. 

2jz is a strong motor, but so are a lot out there, at a lot less of a ricer tax. 

$40k on an engine so you don't have an oil derived failure... orrr... brand new engine that does not have that many issues. Oh and something that rides smooth, that's a bonus for me.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

$40k on an engine so you don't have an oil derived failure... orrr... brand new engine that does not have that many issues. Oh and something that rides smooth, that's a bonus for me.

I thought they fixed lower end oil issues in the jz because of how bad it was in the 7m...

Either way, never been a big mk4 supra person. The mk3s are cooler IMO. Less ricer tax, dat awesome 80s Toyota design. Can swap a 1jz in with little to no modifications. 

Just now, vetali said:

I thought they fixed lower end oil issues in the jz because of how bad it was in the 7m...

Either way, never been a big mk4 supra person. The mk3s are cooler IMO. Less ricer tax, dat awesome 80s Toyota design. Can swap a 1jz in with little to no modifications. 

Did they? I haven't paid much attention to the 2JZ because it' just not my cup of tea but I've read around enough to hear that they have failures related to oiling issues every now and then.

Everyone tends to ride the inside line while going around a curve or bend.

I like scaring the fuck outta those people, by me riding the outside line.

Did it yesterday and it forced him to the center of the lane.

He got mad and wanted to play.

Some stupid baby blue Chevrolet Cruze. I did not pay attention to what race, gender or age the driver was.

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

if it were me, i'd go the built route, and still keep the interior and maybe make it feel a bit more upclass, if i can. and straight 6s are as smooth as you can get really in terms of motors.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

i'll take either, as long as they are manual, but the mk4s have more nice features, and it just feels a bit more modern compared to the mk3, but i'll take either one.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

if it were me, i'd go the built route, and still keep the interior and maybe make it feel a bit more upclass, if i can. and straight 6s are as smooth as you can get really in terms of motors.

And I'd take something that's not high mileage and beat on, and rides better. Plus if I'm spending $70k I'm not buying something used and dumping money in to it.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Did they? I haven't paid much attention to the 2JZ because it' just not my cup of tea but I've read around enough to hear that they have failures related to oiling issues every now and then.

I'm sure they did. 7ms used this really bad design:

78b372e9ae.JPG

Oil gallery starts in the middle of the crank, so it has to split off to either end, rather than going straight through from the front or back like in most motors. 

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And I'd take something that's not high mileage and beat on, and rides better. Plus if I'm spending $70k I'm not buying something used and dumping money in to it.

that's just me, again built not bought. it's just my thinking. of course you're bound to think differently from me. i'd spend that money rebuilding or replacing pretty much everything in the car then building it to handle more power. of course, this is a project car, not my daily, i'd have a much nicer car to daily around.

22 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Kinda old but interesting

I just put that Mobil one in the accord. :D

Also, found a station that sells non-oxy for the same price as regular premium fuel!!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

50 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I just put that Mobil one in the accord. :D

Also, found a station that sells non-oxy for the same price as regular premium fuel!!

I use M1 euro 0w-40 in the Miata along with a tall size ultra fram filter

actually thinking about running the ultra fram filter for 10k miles but changing oil every 5k...

i find i agree with the BITOG forums a lot

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1