Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

My wife has a car too (2013 Elantra). ;) She works from home though, so it gets driven far less, but it would more than suffice for long-trip duty. At this point if you have to occasionally make long-distance trips, it is wise to have an ICE powered car for such times. Totally agree with that. EV battery and charging tech isn't at that level yet. 

The EV would be my daily driver and around-town vehicle. 

so what's gonna happen to the golf? i mean since you did so much to it, why not just keep it?

4 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Do you even have level 3+ chargers up there? LOL

Also for @terrytek asking $11000

IMG_8412-e1498260719121-940x665.jpg

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-m5-16/

that car is located all the way in florida. i'm located in california, m8. though i really do like the price, and the fact it's a pretty rare color. people normally go for titanium silver or black. though there's one for sale in my area on craigslist, same color, same year, though higher miles and asking price though he's added a few things https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6185665494.html

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

man, if only lexus made more gems like this. but i mean for a car that costs 1.3333333 times as much as my house, it's kinda disappointing really, but man, that exhaust note is WILD.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, Shootingcars said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. @bcredeur97 has been telling me for a while I need to get on here so... here I am! I make the Shooting Cars videos on YouTube that someone once said "I could make better videos than you with a 10 year old phone" but guess what? They haven't done it yet and, well, I still make videos! Anyway, looking forward to jumping in here and maybe bouncing some video ideas off you guy? 

-snip-

:o he's finally here! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@MEC-777 if you don't have to drive much, sure. 

but id personally wait for the next generation of battery tech. 

EV's are just boring :/. And heavy. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I still think me and @Shootingcars should take turns going flying down the one twisty road we have here in LA and see who can make the best/least messy sandwich in the passenger seat. 

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Buying an EV right now is like buying a fuel injection car in the 50s. 

Plus EVs all look ugly. Can't find one without the "EV stigma" 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

37 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Do you even have level 3+ chargers up there? LOL

You live "up here" too. You should know. ;) 

I would charge it at home via 120v most of the time anyways (for battery longevity). 

31 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so what's gonna happen to the golf? i mean since you did so much to it, why not just keep it?

I haven't really done that much to it. Custom exhaust and a bunch of maintenance/repairs. :P 

I might keep it as a weekend toy. Get it tuned and have some fun with it. 

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I drive quite a bit, but not so much that I would be draining the battery completely everyday. 

Never said I was buying one now. Said my next car will be an EV. ;)

Subjective. They accelerate like nothing else. It's instant torque which is plenty fun. That being said, it's for daily driving. Doesn't need to be a nimble land-rocket (which is funny because that's pretty much what a Model S is... ;) )

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Buying an EV right now is like buying a fuel injection car in the 50s. 

Plus EVs all look ugly. Can't find one without the "EV stigma" 

Again, I said my NEXT car will be an EV. Never said I'm buying one now. ;) 

Again, subjective. What it looks like isn't super important to me. I drive a MK4 Golf. That should be obvious, lol. 

Why do EV's HAVE to look like every other typical car on the road? The main reason cars look the way they do and have for so long is because of the need for an opening in the front for the giant rad to cool the stone-aged machine that powers them. IMO, it doesn't make sense to make an EV look like an ICE powered car. Make the car as aerodynamic as possible with as few openings as necessary. I want people to know my car is different because it is. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@techswede

opel-manta-a-slika-77793702.jpg.6fb1c765311491bec2e87ed25a50e3fb.jpg

I like the Capri alot ... but it needs serious work ... this on the other hand ... :x

Thoughts ? 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

@chaozbandit that lotus is cool. No average joe has money or skills to do that tho. 

I'd totally drive one of those however

Spoiler

EVs are gonna look basically like cars anyways, with the doors and the boot and seats and all that. So why not make them look good, instead of circle jerking  the futuristic "EV" look. The wouldn't look any better with an opening in the front. 

On a more positive note, I actually passed the entrance exam and got into school. Now I hopefully don't have a to be a postman for the rest of my days. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'll report back how many miles I've done on the s10 sense the last change. I know we've done about 1,000 miles in two days ish. 

Yesterday we did Seattle to Butte, Montana. 

They have 80 Mph speed limits here! You cover some fucking ground. Took some getting used to thats for sure. However when you're getting sleepy and doing 80 andcant really see anything its a tad sketchy. 

Alsothe S10 is a thirsty hoe at those speeds. Theres not a fucking thing around a lot of the interstate and after two or so hours of pushing the fuel range the low fuel light kicked on right as I saw an Exit sign and a Conoco 24 hour sign in the distance. 

If need be we can do an oil change in my driveway. Just need a drain pan

46 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I still think me and @Shootingcars should take turns going flying down the one twisty road we have here in LA and see who can make the best/least messy sandwich in the passenger seat. 

PLEASE

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Someone join me

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

that actually sounds like a REALLY cool challenge to do. and get it on camera too. 

33 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

You live "up here" too. You should know. ;) 

I would charge it at home via 120v most of the time anyways (for battery longevity). 

I haven't really done that much to it. Custom exhaust and a bunch of maintenance/repairs. :P 

I might keep it as a weekend toy. Get it tuned and have some fun with it. 

I drive quite a bit, but not so much that I would be draining the battery completely everyday. 

Never said I was buying one now. Said my next car will be an EV. ;)

Subjective. They accelerate like nothing else. It's instant torque which is plenty fun. That being said, it's for daily driving. Doesn't need to be a nimble land-rocket (which is funny because that's pretty much what a Model S is... ;) )

Again, subjective. What it looks like isn't super important to me. I drive a MK4 Golf. That should be obvious, lol. 

Why do EV's HAVE to look like every other typical car on the road? The main reason cars look the way they do and have for so long is because of the need for an opening in the front for the giant rad to cool the stone-aged machine that powers them. IMO, it doesn't make sense to make an EV look like an ICE powered car. Make the car as aerodynamic as possible with as few openings as necessary. I want people to know my car is different because it is. 

i mean as long as you keep the golf, because tbh i don't want you going full ev, like still have an ICE car to have fun in, because i have never seen a fun electric car at all.

I need this short shifter in my life!!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

oh yeah forgot to mention, yesterday marks an entire year since i've gotten my license. which means it's been a full year since i've been on the fucking road why won't my dad let me drive already :/ but on the bright side i can legally drive passengers under 25 without another licensed driver with me, but like now i don't need to worry if i get pulled over that i lose my license for carrying underage passengers.

43 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Depends when you plan on getting your next vehicle... I don't see lithium ion being phased out in the next 5 years or longer. Me personally, lithium ion is the boat anchor for EVs.

Cars with gasoline engines that are almost 20 years old have had much less drag coefficients than modern EVs (honda insight. Even then, the car that beat it was the Chevy volt, a hybrid.) You still need coolers in an EV. The condenser still needs cooling, high voltage inverters, transformers, computers, and motors require cooling which is sometimes done through non conductive coolants. So "hiding" a grille feels pretentious to me when having one would be functional, and the car wouldn't feel like its holding a billboard saying "look at me, I'm an electric vehicle!"

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

oh yeah forgot to mention, yesterday marks an entire year since i've gotten my license. which means it's been a full year since i've been on the fucking road why won't my dad let me drive already :/ but on the bright side i can legally drive passengers under 25 without another licensed driver with me, but like now i don't need to worry if i get pulled over that i lose my license for carrying underage passengers.

Wait does California not give you your full license until a year after the fact?

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Wait does California not give you your full license until a year after the fact?

Once you get your license, you're not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 25 (or was it 18? it was a long time since i was told this rule) unless you have another licensed driver in the car with you, and you're not allowed to drive between the hours of 11PM and 6AM with your provisional license. But when it's been a year since issuance, all those rules are kaput. So technically, it's basically an upgraded permit in that you can drive alone, but yeah those rules suck. But really you should only be worried when you get pulled over, my friends have driven my other friends for long periods of time and they've never been caught, but yeah.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Once you get your license, you're not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 25 (or was it 18? it was a long time since i was told this rule) unless you have another licensed driver in the car with you, and you're not allowed to drive between the hours of 11PM and 6AM with your provisional license. But when it's been a year since issuance, all those rules are kaput. So technically, it's basically an upgraded permit in that you can drive alone, but yeah those rules suck. But really you should only be worried when you get pulled over, my friends have driven my other friends for long periods of time and they've never been caught, but yeah.

Was that due to the fact that you're a minor?

This is the coolest hydro handbrake I've ever seen

51pcvqyp9d6z.jpg

20 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Was that due to the fact that you're a minor?

yeah i think so. because once you take and pass the test at 18, then you basically can drive with no limits, i think.