Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I'll send you a snapchat of what the single din I've got is. It's a pretty decent one that I think retails right at $160

I updated the post with what I more than likely will use (Or a newer version of the same thing if it exists next spring)

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm not going to be dropping more than $150 on a headunit. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a point to Android Auto. I want to put money into other goodies too. Suspension, wheels, tires, sway bars, exhaust, intake. I want to do a lot with this car. It only has 111K on the engine and I want to have a fun time with it for a long while.

idk, i kinda like android auto/apple carplay since it's a neat way to integrate modern day tech into a car that's not up to tech. plus, i'm sure it's quite futureproof for a few years, since i doubt android or ios will be unsupported a few years from now. but it's your money, you can spend it your way. i prefer to integrate this tech into a 10-15 year old car because it's nice to see some upgraded modern tech in an older car that wasn't available 10-15 years ago.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

idk, i kinda like android auto/apple carplay since it's a neat way to integrate modern day tech into a car that's not up to tech. plus, i'm sure it's quite futureproof for a few years, since i doubt android or ios will be unsupported a few years from now. but it's your money, you can spend it your way. i prefer to integrate this tech into a 10-15 year old car because it's nice to see some upgraded modern tech in an older car that wasn't available 10-15 years ago.

I just don't see the use really. Because if I wanted navigation support I could just get a mount for my phone. That's probably the only Android Auto feature I'd ever see myself using and don't see it being worth the extra cash

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oh you're gonna get the double din they talked about on the Saab thread?

It's the same double din we've installed in both of AJ's Toyotas (Scion counts as a Toyota at the end of the day) It's a really nice unit I like, he's comfortable with installing, and I like how it looks. Not the one from the Saab thread, that thread is also 6 years old at this point

Just asked him really quickly and he's on board for the Stereo project for the Saab. James is onboard for assisting me with mechanical mods (Suspension, intake, exhaust) you get the idea really.

Oh man the hype is real. Mom's BF's Dad knows a guy that can do really good tint jobs for cheap, did a 5% job on a Ranger for $30 and it's held up well (did it 10 years ago) So for sub $100 I'll get the Saab's windows tinted. I'm hyped

7 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I just don't see the use really. Because if I wanted navigation support I could just get a mount for my phone. That's probably the only Android Auto feature I'd ever see myself using and don't see it being worth the extra cash

what about streaming music? that can help a lot too, because you can ask your head unit to skip music for you, without having to interact with your phone.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

what about streaming music? that can help a lot too, because you can ask your head unit to skip music for you, without having to interact with your phone.

Can always just hit the next track button on the headunit. Maybe if I had a newer sleeker car to begin with I would spring for it, but with a 17 year old wagon ehh. Maybe if it was 2005+

My single din does this. You just hit skip. 

If you plug it in with usb you never have to touch the phone

Aj never has to touch his phone with the double I posted, includes a mic for hands free phone calls which will be so nice too

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I would like it if mine did that

It's honestly super nice

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I wish I could fit a double din in the s10. One that is easy to turn the display off on. 

i mean can't you get those flip up ones that still have a touchscreen capability? might look tacky, but they provide dual din functionality in single din space.

12 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I wish I could fit a double din in the s10. One that is easy to turn the display off on. 

They are pretty nice, I'd do a single din if the stereo was laid out differently in the Saab, but climate controls are under the stereo so it would be odd to have a pocket under the stereo and then there be the climate controls

I just like how simple single units are, doubles have grown on me a lot after doing many roadtrips with AJ in the Camry and TC

Nobody makes a good one that I've seen. 

And I can convert mine to double din. I need to get an 02.5 and up bezel and cut a bracket out a little bit and I can slide a double din it. It's just a PITA and I'm gonna be picky about the double din that I put in because I want to be able to shut the screen off at night easily because I don't want to wind up with one like in my grandmas 4Runner where the screen is blinding at night on its lowest brightness setting

there is one by pioneer and it's essentially got the same features as the dual din version, but in a single din package and a flip screen. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-Avh-x7800bt-7-Single-DIN-In-Dash-DVD-Receiver-with-Flip-out-Display-Bluetooth-Siri-Eyes-Free-Spotify-and-AppRadio-One/49115451?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=339&adid=22222222227036742930&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=72949065529&wl4=pla-162719490049&wl5=1014019&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111830352&wl11=online&wl12=49115451&wl13=&veh=sem it's expensive, but it's a start.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

@MEC-777 @warmmilk it seems toyo came out with the successor to the R888's. Any word on how good they are?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888R&partnum=05WR5R888R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

(im not looking to buy any, just saw it on tire rack lol)

Have no idea. I know the R888's weren't quite as good as the RA1's the we used to run in autocross ~5-6 years ago. At least from our testing. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@MEC-777 @warmmilk it seems toyo came out with the successor to the R888's. Any word on how good they are?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888R&partnum=05WR5R888R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

(im not looking to buy any, just saw it on tire rack lol)

The R888R is supposed to last more heat cycles than the non-R and have better dry drip. AFAIK at least. Same as the RE11A vs RE11, or AD08R vs AD08. An evolution of the compound. Still pricey tho.

Also for @MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That is the best way to shock tailgaters.... Flip your car around and give them the bird.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Rip my stomach. Something was wrong with taco night. This has never happened before. #RipMe

Maybe the issue was using 3 different kinds of hot sauces. Oh well

10 hours ago, Othersideguy said:

Hey, about to get a Nissan Skyline R34 GT N/A (no turbo version because stupid laws say that when you are on P plates, you can't have any type of forced induction) anyway, im planning to put some body kits on it to make it look like the GTR V-spec, but down the track I want to know if its possible to convert the drivetrain from RWD to AWD?

I would buy an actual GTR V-spec if they didn't cost $70,000, so I'm sorta planning to make a "poor man's" GTR V-spec.

I can get an RB26DETT and the original dashboard computer for $9000 and the car for $12,000 and the body kits and respray for $7500.  So is it possible to convert this RWD to a AWD with $10,000 to $15,000?

Thanks and sorry for huge post xD

You might have to get all the parts needed (transfer case and all that crap) from a GT-R in order to make it AWD... 

It's not impossible, but it might no be cheap. http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/367336-r34-gtt-rwd-to-gtr-awd-conversion/

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, Strando123 said:

That is the best way to shock tailgaters.... Flip your car around and give them the bird.

I want a giant neon middle finger on my tailgate that I can turn on at the flip of a switch.

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Rip my stomach. Something was wrong with taco night. This has never happened before. #RipMe

Maybe the issue was using 3 different kinds of hot sauces. Oh well

Obviously you need more chili to help the stomach.

Good  news! With day 1 in the bag I'm  happy to report that all three Canadian teams down at GTA Super Lap Battle have broken the existing class records for Buttonwillow Raceway! PZ Tuning have broken the old Spoon Sports record and lead the unlimited FWD class with a 1:45.3; the RDivision Integra are trailing behind with a 1:45.7. The Boersma Racing civic had also broken the Limited FWD record with a 1:51.4.

@MEC-777 less than a second separates the top three cars and there's still a full say of competition left. 

received_10154502478576815.jpegreceived_10154502480341815.jpeg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

What do you guys think of the new Hard-Top Mazda MX5? Or the Golf Facelift? I was thinking about getting a GTI next year and was looking for a decent used one. But that facelift could change that, though I dont like the all-touch radio.

14 minutes ago, White_Helix said:

What do you guys think of the new Hard-Top Mazda MX5? Or the Golf Facelift? I was thinking about getting a GTI next year and was looking for a decent used one. But that facelift could change that, though I dont like the all-touch radio.

I love the hardtop Miata. The GTI is great too. Two different cars though. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah I thought of the Mazda as new car and I have just enough head clearance in the softtop. But no daily for me. Currently im driving a 2010 Polo so the new Golf would be a nice upgrade.