Unannounced AMD 400-Series Chipset Appears In PCI-SIG Integrators List

It's me!

Well well, so it begins. AMD has 400 Series motherboards listed on PCI-SIG  Integrators list. Woot! I bet they stick with Socket 1331 too, so perhaps just a bios flash to move  forward. 

One thing is for certain, whatever they have is coming soon! 

$

AMD announced earlier this year that it would switch from 14nm LPP to GlobalFoundries' 12nm LP process, so naturally, we expect it to have new processors in 2018. And indeed, AMD has a new AMD 400 Series Chipset listing on the PCI-SIG site. (The PCI-SIG Compliance Program tests products and ensures interoperability with the PCIe interface.)$

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-400-series-chipset,36174.html

17 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/AMD-will-have-Ryzen-their-Pinnacle-next-February

I'm not sure why Tom's would call it that. It's kind of been known for a while and this isn't an announcement. 

What did Tom's call it? I think it is the 400 series. Seems odd to call the chips Pinnacle tho, isn't that the name of the new APUs?

Well, the listing does tell us that 1.) it will come with PCIe 3.0 and 2.) that it will not come with PCIe 4.0, which is a bummer. 

Finally to PCIe 3.0!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

One would expect Ryzen chipset to support Gen3, but it's doesn't, which is a odd move from them.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Welcome to 2014, AMD

I'm guessing they couldn't achieve 4-lane 3.0 spec, so spreading out to a 8-lane 2.0 spec had to do

They release Ryzen so late into the game, where they can easily implement Gen 3 and yet they still choose Gen 2. Dafuq is wrong with them?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They release Ryzen so late into the game, where they can easily implement Gen 3 and yet they still choose Gen 2. Dafuq is wrong with them?

its on the chipset side. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, VegetableStu said:

Ask ASMedia? o_o

Why ask AsMedia?

AMD X370 runs at Gen 2 not Gen 3.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

47 minutes ago, It's me! said:

Well, the listing does tell us that 1.) it will come with PCIe 3.0 and 2.) that it will not come with PCIe 4.0, which is a bummer. 

There doesn't appear to be any PCIe 4.0 devices in the pipelines until at least H2 2018 that would touch the consumer segment.

Icelake & Zen2 will both, more than likely, have PCIe 4.0 lanes.

1 hour ago, It's me! said:

you cant even saturate a PCIE 3.0 X16 anyway why would you care?

PS: What is this, people are saying? Ryzen has PCIE 3.0 or are we talking about the secondary/third slots?

Personally, I don't give a shit what the secondary and lower PCI-e slots gen are, most people would only use the main slot and secondary at most, and pci-e 2.0 is still enough for todays GPUs IIRC?

Is there anything currently on the market that could over-saturate a pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Why ask AsMedia?

AMD X370 runs at Gen 2 not Gen 3.

Because the chipset is made by ASMedia. Ryzen is a SoC. The majority of IP blocks are on-die. However they implement a discrete chipset for extended functionality. That's what runs PCI-E 2.0 which is probably due to bandwidth limitations. The PCI-E lanes from Ryzen itself are PCI-E 3.0.

I would like AMD to take things back in-house but it's cheaper to buy than to develop.

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Personally, I don't give a shit what the secondary and lower PCI-e slots gen are, most people would only use the main slot and secondary at most, and pci-e 2.0 is still enough for todays GPUs IIRC?

Is there anything currently on the market that could over-saturate a pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes?

It might mean that now there are more lanes left for more important things like dual nvme directly from the cpu 

but according to all the diagrams i have seen, ryzen cpu is only providing 24 lanes but we know its capable of 32 and i would like to have those unlocked 

@leadeater @Taf the Ghost do you guys think we might see those lanes unlocked?

Great, refinements to platform while keeping AM4 cause no actual reason phasing it until actual next big next gen. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

It might mean that now there are more lanes left for more important things like dual nvme directly from the cpu 

but according to all the diagrams i have seen, ryzen cpu is only providing 24 lanes but we know its capable of 32 and i would like to have those unlocked 

If I remember right, it's actually an AM4 limit. More simple designs, less traces on the motherboard.

Also, it's 4x PCIe 3.0 to the PCH. The 2.0 version appears to be their reference for testing the original Zen designs.

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Titan V.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 hours ago, It's me! said:

Well well, so it begins. AMD has 400 Series motherboards listed on PCI-SIG  Integrators list. Woot! I bet they stick with Socket 1331 too, so perhaps just a bios flash to move  forward. 

One thing is for certain, whatever they have is coming soon! 

-snip-

Yes, AMD have said that they're keeping AM4 until whatever's after Zen 3.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

A lot of users waited extremely long time to get Ryzen and once they got it. They soon found out the chipset is actually gen 2, while Intel is at gen 3, boy they must be disappointed. x370 was release early of this year, to have X470 release early next year, then X370 is chipset with the shortest lifespan.

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Because the chipset is made by ASMedia. Ryzen is a SoC. The majority of IP blocks are on-die. However they implement a discrete chipset for extended functionality. That's what runs PCI-E 2.0 which is probably due to bandwidth limitations. The PCI-E lanes from Ryzen itself are PCI-E 3.0.

I would like AMD to take things back in-house but it's cheaper to buy than to develop.

Ryzen is 3.0, Chipset is 2.0, but the communication between Ryzen and Chipset is also 3.0. The way I see it is, they took way too long to release it, so by the time it did, the chipset is already consider outdated, when Intel already have chipset running at 3.0. If they released Ryzen back 3 years ago, okay then fine, cause Z97 and X99 were also running at 2.0.

Asmedia, okay I see why, all it does it just handles the SATA, USB, and Asmedia does make SATA and USB controllers. Looks like those 8 gen 2 lanes were slapped on the very last minute. With AMD taking this long to release Ryzen, they should have developed the chipset themselves, instead of relying on a 3rd party like Asmedia.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

Should be, aren't the 400 chipsets supposed to be giving PCIe 3.0 off the chipset now? Only way I see that happening is if all the lanes are in use now.

45 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Ryzen is 3.0, Chipset is 2.0, but the communication between Ryzen and Chipset is also 3.0. The way I see it is, they took way too long to release it, so by the time it did, the chipset is already consider outdated, when Intel already have chipset running at 3.0. If they released Ryzen back 3 years ago, okay then fine, cause Z97 and X99 were also running at 2.0.

Asmedia, okay I see why, all it does it just handles the SATA, USB, and Asmedia does make SATA and USB controllers. Looks like those 8 gen 2 lanes were slapped on the very last minute. With AMD taking this long to release Ryzen, they should have developed the chipset themselves, instead of relying on a 3rd party like Asmedia.

From my understanding it was a design choice to use PCIe 2.0 from the chipset, they are using the chipset to double the lane count so they can have more devices connected to it. 4 lanes isn't enough and a single NVMe would use that so you'd have nothing left for things like audio or lan or wifi or w/e else needs connecting off the chipset. Might be wrong on some of those as some might come of the CPU since it's more an SoC but the point is it was by choice not by mistake or lateness, PCIe 3.0 was around long before the chipset was even being designed.

34 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

A lot of users waited extremely long time to get Ryzen and once they got it. They soon found out the chipset is actually gen 2, while Intel is at gen 3, boy they must be disappointed. x370 was release early of this year, to have X470 release early next year, then X370 is chipset with the shortest lifespan.

PCI-E 3.0 was mainstream at the time so I don't buy that it was development hell causing it to be 2.0. I'm guessing it was cheaper, simpler to implement. Probably also to do with lane splitting. They'd probably end up halving the lanes if it was PCI-E 3.0 with the current design. I'm thinking it's a combination of ASMedia chip design being pretty bad and AMD cheaping out on both motherboard design (simpler traces) and PCI-E lanes to chipset.

I'm assuming AM4 and motherboard designs weren't started in 2012/13 so it was probably planned that it was the best compromise with the resources at hand. AMD needs to up the lanes on-die either way but I don't think they'll do that with Pinnacle Ridge though.

12 hours ago, It's me! said:

The only way to saturate PCIe 3.0 x8 on the consumer market apart from storage is to run dual Titan Vs. Presumably the V100s do as well on the enterprise market.