Unannounced AMD 400-Series Chipset Appears In PCI-SIG Integrators List

It's me!
2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

honestly what card that is not a gpu can fully utilize the bandwidth of a 2.0 pcie slot? yea it kinda sucks that its not pcie3 , but its not gonna hurt you in any way , the graphics card is guaranteed 16x 3.0 from the cpu and whatever device you may use in a second slot or the m.2 will not saturate the available bandwidth of the pcie 2.0 lanes 

Idgaf if they saturate or not. People spend their hard earn money, and they deserve the best they can get.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Idgaf if they saturate or not. People spend their hard earn money, and they deserve the best they can get.

i spend 75$ on an mATX B350 board that has 4 ram slots and can do crossfire and i got just that , and im happy w/ that as its very hard to find that feature set in this formfactor , there are hardly any intel board who do that 

each there own i guess , but i hardly believe the average consumer cares or is affected by this at all 

heck most people i see still think more vram = better when they buy a gpu , or they buy cheap shit """800w""" power-supplies for 30$

because number was bigger even tho in the end a EVGA 500B will deliver more wattage before blowing up 

so i have a hard time believing they will know the difference between pcie 2 and 3 or use either to its full potential 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

28 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Well people still got screwed when you know Intel already have 3.0 on the chipset. And the mia amd x300 is also 3.0

The only thing those Intel chipset adds are more M.2 ports. But the SSD's are so expensive no one buys them anyways.

That being said, I do hope Zen+ gets some more lanes for M.2 on the chipset.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

39 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

honestly what card that is not a gpu can fully utilize the bandwidth of a 2.0 pcie slot? yea it kinda sucks that its not pcie3 , but its not gonna hurt you in any way , the graphics card is guaranteed 16x 3.0 from the cpu and whatever device you may use in a second slot or the m.2 will not saturate the available bandwidth of the pcie 2.0 lanes 

Quad 10Gbit network card? ;)

Though, saying that, anything that fully utilizes Thunderbolt 3 unless my memory is failing me. And we know 8x PCIe 3.0 SSDs exist.

31 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Quad 10Gbit network card? ;)

Though, saying that, anything that fully utilizes Thunderbolt 3 unless my memory is failing me. And we know 8x PCIe 3.0 SSDs exist.

Those you would put in the second x16 slot to be connected directly to the cpu

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Well people still got screwed when you know Intel already have 3.0 on the chipset

Except both the AMD SoC and Sky+ Intel CPUs only provide a link equivalent to PCIe 3.0 x4, with the southbridge on the Intel side acting as a PLX switch and the 'chipset' on AMD's side acting as a doubler, and the option for a straight x4 of 3.0 is available. Beyond that, manufacturers can add as many PLX bridges and switches that they want to create the same affect.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

57 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i spend 75$ on an mATX B350 board that has 4 ram slots and can do crossfire and i got just that , and im happy w/ that as its very hard to find that feature set in this formfactor , there are hardly any intel board who do that 

each there own i guess , but i hardly believe the average consumer cares or is affected by this at all 

heck most people i see still think more vram = better when they buy a gpu , or they buy cheap shit """800w""" power-supplies for 30$

because number was bigger even tho in the end a EVGA 500B will deliver more wattage before blowing up 

so i have a hard time believing they will know the difference between pcie 2 and 3 or use either to its full potential 

Yes, the average consumer probably won't care, but those that ask here for their help on their builds, probably will. Hey if you like to run your CFX at x16/x4 and don't care about whether your gpu runs at 2.0 or 3.0, then good for you. And there are plenty of Intel mATX boards with the same features, 4 ram slot with unbalanced CFX setup.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, the average consumer probably won't care, but those that ask here for their help on their builds, probably will. Hey if you like to run your CFX at x16/x4 and don't care about whether your gpu runs at 2.0 or 3.0, then good for you. And there are plenty of Intel mATX boards with the same features, 4 ram slot with unbalanced CFX setup.

Ryzen still gives you two x8 3.0 lanes for dual Gpu, this only affects chipset lanes

On 12/23/2017 at 9:51 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Titan V.

Yes but let's be honest here. If you are running a titan v you would be running it off the cpu lanes not the chipset so you would 3.0 lanes not 2.0. Honestly idk what the big deal is about having 2.0 for the chipset if the cpu provides enough lanes for your graphics cards. If you need more lanes than the cpu can provide then you need a different platform tbh regardless of pci limitations.

49 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

NONE of the AMD mATX boards. I did the homework.

You shouldn't run dual gpus on a mATX tbh.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

You shouldn't run dual gpus on a mATX tbh.

Why not? They have enough slots.

Just now, Bit_Guardian said:

Why not? They have enough slots.

Because it wasn't designed to. If they wanted to they could have given the cpu lanes to two of the slots if necessary. I don't see how the chipset is forcing them to not use the cpu lanes for two slots like they do for full atx boards.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Because it wasn't designed to. If they wanted to they could have given the cpu lanes to two of the slots if necessary. I don't see how the chipset is forcing them to not use the cpu lanes for two slots like they do for full atx boards.

I don't mean these particular boards. It sounded like you meant don't run dual GPUs on any mATX board at all. In Intel's case you can get 8+8, or if on the HEDT platform, 16+16 just fine.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but let's be honest here. If you are running a titan v you would be running it off the cpu lanes not the chipset so you would 3.0 lanes not 2.0. Honestly idk what the big deal is about having 2.0 for the chipset if the cpu provides enough lanes for your graphics cards. If you need more lanes than the cpu can provide then you need a different platform tbh regardless of pci limitations.

My response didn't include any other factors. It was simply an objective response to the question posed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My response didn't include any other factors. It was simply an objective response to the question posed. 

That's a fair point but I think many don't realize that this is just the chipset lanes and not the cpu lanes.

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

People spend their hard earn money, and they deserve the best they can get.

What precisely do you think you're losing out on by having PCIe 2.0 on the chipset?  You seem to be on a bit of a rampage about this, so I'm curious why this has you so riled up.

27 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

What precisely do you think you're losing out on by having PCIe 2.0 on the chipset?  You seem to be on a bit of a rampage about this, so I'm curious why this has you so riled up.

Not being able to install additional PCIe devices that's has the ability to run at Gen 3. I have a X99 with 40 gen 3 lanes, so I don't really care about my chipset that only has 8 Gen 2 lanes. Those Intel cpus with 28 lanes, with SLI using up 16 lanes, there is still 12 left, which is plenty to go around for other Gen 3 devices. Intel Z170 to Z370 Gen 3 lanes, has a combined total of 36 to 40. AMD Threadripper has 60 Gen 3, so it won't matter if their chipset is still at Gen 2. AMD Ryzen on the other hand only has 24 gen 3. 20 are already used up by the video card and communication between cpu and chipset, this only leaves the user with just 4. Ryzen was released around early of this year. If Ryzen had more gen 3 lanes from their cpu, then it won't matter if their chipset is at Gen 2, but no they don't. Not enough Gen 3 lanes to go around and having to fallback to Gen 2 from the chipset, going into 2018 is kind of sad. At least they're going to use Gen 3 with their new 400 series chipset, so that's good. Can't wait for those boards to be released, so those who want AMD Ryzen, will be able to have a proper up to date build.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD Ryzen on the other hand only has 24 gen 3. 20 are already used up by the video card and communication between cpu and chipset, this only leaves the user with just 4.

Ryzen allocates 16 lanes to GPU. 2 for NVMe, and 4 for chipset.

Intel Z series chipsets, 170 up, has 16 direct to CPU lanes, and "20" chipset lanes that are ultimately just a DMI that's really a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection being split up to those 20 lanes.

With Ryzen, one can run Xfire/SLI, retain 2 direct to CPU connections, and manufacturers can PLX the hell out of the chipset lanes to make as many "PCIe 3.0" lanes that they want, just like Intel's consumer counterparts.

And asides for whatever additional controllers the mainboard manufacturer adds, those 20 chipset lanes on Intel's chipsets are not available for the end user.

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Not enough Gen 3 lanes to go around and having to fallback to Gen 2 from the chipset, going into 2018 is kind of sad.

Being quite frank, AMD's conversion of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes into 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes is far better than Intel taking 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes and PLX switching the hell out of them into 20 lanes that see the same bandwidth limitation and will incur more latency as more of those "lanes" are used.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ryzen allocates 16 lanes to GPU. 2 for NVMe, and 4 for chipset.

Ryzen has 24, 16 for gpu, 4 for cpu to chipset, and 4 for NVMe

Intel Z series chipsets, 170 up, has 16 direct to CPU lanes, and "20" chipset lanes that are ultimately just a DMI that's really a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection being split up to those 20 lanes. And asides for whatever additional controllers the mainboard manufacturer adds, those 20 chipset lanes on Intel's chipsets are not available for the end user.

CPU has 16, chipset has 20. DMI 3.0 does not use up any of the 20 lanes from the chipset. Devices controlled by the chipset gets their 20 lanes from the chipset.

With Ryzen, one can run Xfire/SLI, retain 2 direct to CPU connections, and manufacturers can PLX the hell out of the chipset lanes to make as many "PCIe 3.0" lanes that they want, just like Intel's consumer counterparts.

PLX add latency and increase cost. It's better to have more native lanes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Ryzen has 24, 16 for gpu, 4 for cpu to chipset, and 4 for NVMe

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Board manufacturers can add 2 for NVMe by sacrificing 2 SATA III. Default is 16 for GPU, 2 general purpose, 4 chipset.

CPU has 16, chipset has 20. DMI 3.0 does not use up any of the 20 lanes from the chipset. Devices controlled by the chipset gets their 20 lanes from the chipset.

The Chipset's 20 lanes are just 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes being split up. No different from a PLX bridge, because the southbridge is essentially a PLX bridge.

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's better to have more native lanes.

Intel's chipset lanes aren't native. At least Ryzen's chipset lanes are 4 3.0 -> 8 2.0, maintaining the same bandwidth.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Board manufacturers can add 2 for NVMe by sacrificing 2 SATA III. Default is 16 for GPU, 2 general purpose, 4 chipset.

16 for cpu, 4 for chipset, 2 for general purpose? Then where are the other 2 lanes? Also SATA don't use PCIe.

The Chipset's 20 lanes are just 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes being split up. No different from a PLX bridge, because the southbridge is essentially a PLX bridge.

PLX is additional hardware chipset that provides more lanes. You cannot call the Southbridge a PLX chip. Asrock Z270 SuperCarrier is a board with a Broadcom PLX chip. CPU provides 16, PLX provides another 48, this lets you run SLI /CFX in x16/x16 and up to 4-way SLI or CFX in x8/x8/x8/x8.

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Intel's chipset lanes aren't native. At least Ryzen's chipset lanes are 4 3.0 -> 8 2.0, maintaining the same bandwidth.

Native lanes as in without having to rely on a 3rd party chipset.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Then where are the other 2 lanes? Also SATA don't use PCIe.

By default, routed, in way of AMD chipset, to a SATA controller. Mainboard manufacturers can reclaim those lanes.

Which isn't surprising, seeing as how PCIe reliant EPYC is, seeing as Ryzen is just a single die counterpart.

PLX is additional hardware chipset that provides more lanes. You cannot call the Southbridge a PLX chip.

Identical functionality. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's certainly not great aunt Jamima.

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Native lanes as in without having to rely on a 3rd party chipset.

Native lanes are those coming directly from the northbridge, which is integrated on any desktop Intel chip with PCIe 3.0.

Intel's chipset lanes are equivalent to running a PLX bridge, because that is the exact setup Intel uses to get those 20 "PCIe 3.0" lanes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Those devices still need to communicate with the CPU, and the bandwidth between the CPU and the chipset is only x4 Gen3.

You still haven't told me what you're losing by having 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes instead of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes.  What specifically is it that you think is lost?

11 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Those devices still need to communicate with the CPU, and the bandwidth between the CPU and the chipset is only x4 Gen3.

You still haven't told me what you're losing by having 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes instead of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes.  What specifically is it that you think is lost?

Well Ryzen user are not able to have 2 NVMe SSD both running at Gen 3 x4.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well Ryzen user are not able to have 2 NVMe SSD both running at Gen 3 x4.

Neither are users of Zx70 platforms. Two+ drives share a 3.0 x4 uplink. Only X99/299/399 and the server platforms is this not the case.

Unless one if to use a riser card, in which it's a moot point on either platform.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.