Whats the framerate and resolution of your eys

19 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's like asking what RPM an SSD operates at.

What about Honda SSD's? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not without a frame counter :P

Also I agree, I just wanted to point that out, it sounded to me like you said something different my bad

Lol, why is everyone assuming all the time I´m saying something else than I do?

As to the link above, I don´t see any study there.  If you´re referring to that quote of a study, it says clearly that the pilots used the afterimage to identify the object they were shown, and it doesn´t give any prove whatsoever that humans are able to actually see 220fps.  It is nothing new that afterimages can be seen under certain conditions.  Try the same experiment in bright daylight instead of in a dark room, and see what results you´ll get ...

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Actually they do however they are dynamic frames. You brain only updates what is moving but it does have a "frame rate". 

It's why you see motion blur. 

No there is not a frame rate.

The neural signals can fire at any time, and have a cool down, but they do not synchronize between themselves.

There is no "rate" where your brain interprets an image, then does the next image, etc.

2 hours ago, heimdali said:

Lol, why is everyone assuming all the time I´m saying something else than I do?

As to the link above, I don´t see any study there.  If you´re referring to that quote of a study, it says clearly that the pilots used the afterimage to identify the object they were shown, and it doesn´t give any prove whatsoever that humans are able to actually see 220fps.  It is nothing new that afterimages can be seen under certain conditions.  Try the same experiment in bright daylight instead of in a dark room, and see what results you´ll get ...

It is a lot more complicated than that, the "humans can see 220 fps" is just bs because it depends on what type of image is being displayed, the surroundings, the alertness/concentration of the person, the individual's JND, and plenty of other factors.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The neural signals can fire at any time, and have a cool down,

Which is a "rate" 

As I said your brain refreshes what is moving so your eyes do technically have a refresh rate and by extension a frame rate. There is a limit at which your brain can't refresh fast enough and you get motion blur. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Depending on the person and imagery, looking at a panel, they might only be able to interpret 60ish hertz, or they might be able to interpret 300. But there is no single number, no cut and dry answer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Which is a "rate" 

As I said your brain refreshes what is moving so your eyes do technically have a refresh rate and by extension a frame rate. There is a limit at which your brain can't refresh fast enough and you get motion blur. 

No, motion blur is because of the neural signals sent by the retina are not instant, it is a rise and drop of voltage which lasts a finite amount of time, so that the cells stay "fired" for some time.

Image result for neural threshold

The brain has no refresh rate because the neural image processing in your brain does not run on a clock, when a receptor cell fires then the neurons in your brain also fire.

By your logic, if the individual cell firing is a "refresh rate", then you could argue that by stimulating each individual cell in your retina one after the other you would be able to achieve 126 million frames every 4ms since there are about 126 million rod and cone cells.

Obviously this statement is ridiculous because it would just be interpreted as a blur, not individual frames, as the occipital lobe in the brain also has a similar cell response to the graph posted above.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My eyes are 1080p and 24fps and directed by Peter Jackson. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

By your logic, if the individual cell firing is a "refresh rate", then you could argue that by stimulating each individual cell in your retina one after the other you would be able to achieve 126 million frames every 4ms since there are about 126 million rod and cone cells.

Sure

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

OMG, why are people so adamant they know this shit so emphatically?

The eyes have a set resolution, there are a limited number of rods and cones so even if they all fired at exactly the same time you would still have an absolute resolution.

They don't all fire at the same time so it is usual to have half the resolution of the number of actual rods and cones you have.  That would work out to a megapixel or two.  Why is the image so clear? because the visual cortex is an extremely complicated system that fills in the gaps.

Lastly,  The brain stops receiving all visual input from the eyes when the eyes move, this is to prevent overloading of the visual cortex. 

EDIT:

I'll take the word of the royal society over a 1000 self educated tech websites on something as complex as the visual processing system.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm surprised this thread actually has more than 1 page and a mod hasn't "this is status material *lock*" yet.

Anything that uses moving frames to make the appearance of a moving image is somewhat of an illusion 

The human eye cannot see more than 24 fps at 720 p

/s

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Anything that uses moving frames to make the appearance of a moving image is somewhat of an illusion 

That's the entire visual processing system for you.  Everything you think you see is made up of snippets of information from looking around, not one single image.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, TurbulentWinds said:

Dude, that is just straight up false. The human eye is remarkably complex and does not see "pixels." It has been proved that the human eye can see 240 FPS and further. I don't have the article link with be right now, but you can look up the study on jet pilots who were flashed an image of a plane and were asked to identify it.

Pilots can see thousands of frames per second, pro league gamers can usually see more than the average person as well, not because of the refresh rate, but being able to pause yourself inbetween every frame of 144hz compared to watching just motion at 240hz is better.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

9 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

The human eye cannot see more than 24 fps at 720 p

/s

I would appreciate less shitposts, even if the topic is stupid. Thank you.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

30 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Pilots can see thousands of frames per second, pro league gamers can usually see more than the average person as well, not because of the refresh rate, but being able to pause yourself inbetween every frame of 144hz compared to watching just motion at 240hz is better.

29 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I would appreciate less shitposts, even if the topic is stupid. Thank you.

Ironic.

See my above post and link to supporting evidence.

But it seems that might not be enough for some people.  So here is some more links to verified, peer reviewed and just well researched articles explaining more.

https://nerdist.com/your-brain-has-a-frame-rate-and-its-pretty-slow/

https://xcorr.net/2011/11/20/whats-the-maximal-frame-rate-humans-can-perceive/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1604863

Here's a quick answer to your problem...

Below's a gif that counts from 1 to 1000 .... every time you see the counter changing, you can say you see a "frame per second" :

counter.gif.4122399ddab639159f8f6809779b686e.gif

Your eyes may not be fast enough to decode each last digit from the counter, but they detect that something has changed. Often you don't need the exact information, just knowing that something has changed is good enough. For example when you're hunting an animal in the bushes in some jungle, often knowing that some tree branch shifted/bent or some tall grass moved is enough to know there's an animal there, you don't need to know it's a tiger and how many spots of color the fur has.

So if you're talking about how many unique "frames" per second the human eyes can process, then the closes analogy would be the second digit in the counter but the human eyes don't work like that, they work with continuous flow of information, they don't digitize, they don't take snapshots.

Trained pilots can spot and react to variations in what they see hundreds of times a second, maybe even thousands... i'm too lazy to look up the research... while we regular humans will notice changes maybe up to 200-500 "frames a second" ?  A lot of people will have eyes better than 144 Hz monitors and will notice differences between a 144 Hz monitor and a 200-240 Hz monitor easily.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

human eyes don't work like that, they work with continuous flow of information, they don't digitize, they don't take snapshots.

Trained pilots can spot and react to variations in what they see hundreds of times a second, maybe even thousands... i'm too lazy to look up the research... while we regular humans will notice changes maybe up to 200-500 "frames a second" ?  A lot of people will have eyes better than 144 Hz monitors and will notice differences between a 144 Hz monitor and a 200-240 Hz monitor easily.

No There is no continuous stream and they do not see that many frames at all, please read the links I posted.

Resolution? I've heard somewhere close to the equivalent of 600 megapixels, but there's no real "resolution of the eye. As for frame rate...

7 hours ago, heimdali said:

that´s no more than about 50fps

7 hours ago, heimdali said:

When you get to about 50fps, what you see appears fluid to the point where more fps won´t make any difference as to what you can see.

Demonstrably false. The US Air Force found the eyes of pilot trainees were able to identify a simulated enemy aircraft flashed at 220Hz, while a more recent study found that the eye is able to perceive images flashed at 500Hz.

Actually, that entire study I linked (published on Nature, one of the most prestigious scientific journals) is interesting. Here's some further tidbits:

• A monitor refresh rate of 72Hz is a sufficient enough refresh rate to avoid flicker entirely
  • When a modulated light source is spatially uniform (e.g. a screen changing), the sensitivity curve drops to 65Hz
  • However, when all participants in the study saw something from a modulated light source that wasn't spatially uniform, but rather with a spatial high frequency edge (e.g. moving white edge on black background or vice versa), all participants saw artifacts flicker at 200Hz
  • For the median viewer, flickering artifacts disappear only over 500Hz
  • The eyes are most sensitive to flickering with green light at up to 500Hz, red light at 475Hz and blue light at 158Hz

Checkmate.

yLCryeI.gif

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Resolution? I've heard somewhere close to the equivalent of 600 megapixels, but there's no real "resolution of the eye. As for frame rate...

• A minimum monitor refresh rate of 72Hz is a sufficient enough refresh rate to avoid flicker entirely
  • When a modulated light source is spatially uniform (e.g. a screen changing), the sensitivity curve drops to 65Hz
  • However, when all participants in the study saw something from a modulated light source that wasn't spatially uniform, but rather with a spatial high frequency edge (e.g. moving white edge on black background or vice versa), all participants saw artifacts flicker at 200Hz
  • For the median viewer, flickering artifacts disappear only over 500Hz
  • The eyes are most sensitive to flickering with green light at up to 500Hz, red light at 475Hz and blue light at 158Hz

The study you linked did not say "minimum" monitor refresh rate, it said "a frame rate of 72 Hz for computer displays is sufficient to avoid flicker completely" That is the most it needs not the minimum it needs. Which is funnily enough the same as what all the other research has discovered.

Flicker artifacts on non-uniform spacial images (need to be moving edges) have been observed for a while now.  (rainbow effect on DLP projectors are a classic example)

Flicker artifacts are not the same is perceiving whole frames or indeed even being able to perceive frame rates as we discuss them here, but tries to deal with the perception of flicker (consider one like seeing a car drive past (but not be able to identify it) and the other the perception of a dark flash in the corner of the eye), it is the Hypothesized that the reason they can be perceived is due to saccades.  Which as yet changes in both directions when accounting for eye movement (in the links I posted earlier).

Just now, mr moose said:

The study you linked did not say "minimum" monitor refresh rate, it said "a frame rate of 72 Hz for computer displays is sufficient to avoid flicker completely" That is the most it needs not the minimum it needs. Which is funnily enough the same as what all the other research has discovered.

Flicker artifacts on non-uniform spacial images (need to be moving edges) have been observed for a while now.  (rainbow effect on DLP projectors are a classic example)

Flicker artifacts are not the same is perceiving whole frames or indeed even being able to perceive frame rates as we discuss them here, but tries to deal with the perception of flicker (consider one like seeing a car drive past (but not be able to identify it) and the other the perception of a dark flash in the corner of the eye), it is the Hypothesized that the reason they can be perceived is due to saccades.  Which as yet changes in both directions when accounting for eye movement (in the links I posted earlier).

Ah, my bad. I'll fix my post.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/7199031187

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750