AIB Partners give their anonymous 2 cents on 1070Ti

AlTech

So, GamersNexus asked some AIB partners anonymously about their thoughts on the 1070Ti. AIB partners have given their 2 cents and now we have those results.

Here are quotes from the GN video which really struck me.

Board partners definitely think that the 1070Ti sales will be impacted by the lack of pre-overclocks ...... The differentiation of clocks is obviously not there.

There was frustration over the pre-overclock lockdown by Nvidia..... The more expensive cooler designs now have less apparent value than they would otherwise and they raise the cost of the final product without creating an obvious to consumer increase in performance.

The move of the 1070Ti is more to hamstring the VEGA 56 sales than anything else.

The 1080 will still have it's brand presence and recognition. GTX 1070 would be the most effected product in the stack and would move less volume. The $500 cards are going to be a much harder sell.

There's nothing they can do about it except play tricks with software to boost OC.

One partner had to rename a product pretty late in the cycle because the name OC was in the product name.

Interesting to see what AIBs think about the 1070Ti. Seems to be not well liked by the consumers and by AIBs.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't think it's well-liked by anyone yet(other than the team at Nvidia who decided it'd be a good release), I'm yet to watch a review/unboxing where someone say's it was a card that was needed or necessary, they all say it was the opposite.
But obviously it is neither of those, so might be waiting a while to hear it said in a video xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I'm not surprised they don't like it xD Being told you can't pre-overclock, and you can't even bin the chips is a pretty huge disruption to how things are done.  Throw the fact FE is now priced the same as their cards into the mix and you have a very different sort of situation developing to anything we've seen before.  I hate to see what happens next.  We can only assume this behaviour will be applied to all of the next gen's cards, and I suspect it won't be long before they get locked down even more.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There's something especially dirty feeling when a company locks down a great product to prevent it from competing with their other products. 

I mean it happens all the time, but still...come on. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

There's something especially dirty feeling when a company locks down a great product to prevent it from competing with their other products. 

I mean it happens all the time, but still...come on. 

They could have discontinued the 1080 and let the lineup look like this: 1050, 1050Ti, 1060 3GB, 1060 6GB, 1070, 1070Ti, 1080Ti

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

They could have discontinued the 1080 and let the lineup look like this: 1050, 1050Ti, 1060 3GB, 1060 6GB, 1070, 1070Ti, 1080Ti

Or they could have dropped the price of the 1080 and not released the 1070 Ti, which makes more sense :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

It's a low blow from Nvidia that shouldn't be there. There's almost no point for the higher tier 1070ti because how will we know for sure we have a good card before we buy it? It's an unneeded card. Should've just dropped card prices instead of this bullshit.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or they could have dropped the price of the 1080 and not released the 1070 Ti, which makes more sense :P

It's already super close to the 1070 in my area at nearly $50 up-charge for the 1080. People aren't going to get a used 1070 if a new 1080 is right up its @ss in pricing. 

I would have liked to see Nvidia give a $50-100 rebate on the 1080 to push sales against the Vega 56 and 64. Also, has anyone noticed that GPU Boost 3.0 has been disabled or not on the 1070 Ti?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not surprised they don't like it xD Being told you can't pre-overclock, and you can't even bin the chips is a pretty huge disruption to how things are done.  Throw the fact FE is now priced the same as their cards into the mix and you have a very different sort of situation developing to anything we've seen before.  I hate to see what happens next.  We can only assume this behaviour will be applied to all of the next gen's cards, and I suspect it won't be long before they get locked down even more.

Well considering Nvidia locked the BIOS on Pascal because of the BIOS modding on Maxwell.  It looks like Nvidia is going that route.

Pretty much if you want to do some modding on Pascal you have to be  willing to shunt mod or get program flashers (so far the flashers only work on the notebook Pascals).  Hopefully, some more knowledgeable hex editors find out how to translate the notebook Pascal editing to the desktop Pascals soon. Currently watching one thread on a different forum board with individuals doing some test flashing on desktop Pascals with a few hex editors assisting them with their knowledge. 

By the way things going, if you want to do some serious overclocking, you need to pull the big tools out and be willing to either hard mod or take the chance flashing straight to the vBIOS chip.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

i hate this cards existance, it dosent make sense for consumers, it causes confusion and its there to bridge a basically nonexistent gap which it fails to do because the AIB cards costs as much as their 1080 SKUs.... this is just so stupid

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm rather disappointed that Nvidia didn't pull a 750 TI and make the 1070 TI the consumer's first taste of Volta.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I have less respect for this cards existence than I do for people who horded 1060's for mining.

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm rather disappointed that Nvidia didn't pull a 750 TI and make the 1070 TI the consumer's first taste of Volta.

I'd place my bets on Volta not really being ready for any sort of card yet.

Really, the 1070 Ti would've been a lot more appealing had Nvidia waited on it and made it Volta instead of a shittier 1080.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The card was made for marketing only.

People will compare 1070s. 1070tis and 1080s. 

They will ignore the obsolete vega cards and nvidia knows.

It was a deathblow, nothing more, nothing less. It was a move by a company that came up with an "answer" to vega, about 18 moths ago.

Sad for consumers. We need another company to step in and try to compete.

Yeah I know they'd be pissed but honestly, I don't really think it's gonna be that big of a deal to consumers.

Here's my thinking: this is going to create consumer confusion, but it's now monopolized by Nvidia instead of the consumer confusion normally created by the manufacturers themselves or in other words:

evga.PNG

This is just what one manufacturer offers for one SKU (I'd be worst if the search didn't separate the founders edition as a different SKU) You've got your SC Gaming ACX 3.0 (Not 2.0 that's discontinued but existed) both with normal leds and rgb leds (different prices) , FTW DT, Their generic blower one, Gaming ACX 3.0, Not to be confused with the SC Gaming ACX 3.0. Or the FTW Gaming ACX 3.0: Again not to be confused with the Gaming FTW DT ACX 3.0 or with the Gaming FTW2 DT iCX 3.0 or with the Classified Gaming ACX 3.0 or the FTW Hybrid Gaming ACX 3.0. Also not on the pic but I'm fairly sure they also have the ICX models too so there's even more. EDIT: One of the ICX models is actually in the pic but the names are so fucking similar I legit overlooked it.

If anything I gave this some thought and Nvidia doing what it's seemingly confusing looks like cleaning up some of this motherfucking mess manufacturers have. Remember this is just one single SKU a customer might be greeted by when trying to buy a product and you have to throw into 1070s, 1070tis and 1080tis meaning EVGA alone, just for the high end market, has like 50 fucking products on sale right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

We can only assume this behaviour will be applied to all of the next gen's cards, and I suspect it won't be long before they get locked down even more.

Care to explain more? why you think that nvidia will do such things? if they does so. then the AIBs are the ones that;s gonna get hurt when it comes to sales.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Care to explain more? why you think that nvidia will do such things? if they does so. then the AIBs are the ones that;s gonna get hurt when it comes to sales.

They've been moving in the direction of locking things down more and more slowly but surely since the launch of pascal (or was it maxwell even?  I can't remember) and this is just the latest (and largest) step along that path.  If anything, they're getting more bold, not slowing down, so it stands to reason this will continue.  I could be wrong of course but that's my theory/prediction.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They've been moving in the direction of locking things down more and more slowly but surely since the launch of pascal (or was it maxwell even?  I can't remember) and this is just the latest (and largest) step along that path.  If anything, they're getting more bold, not slowing down, so it stands to reason this will continue.  I could be wrong of course but that's my theory/prediction.

then there is absolute no reason to purchase the beefy AIB cards.... 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

GPU Boost 3.0 seems to still be active from what I'm hearing. The AIB coolers will still clock higher if thermals and voltage allow. The only difference seems to be the minimum clocks the card will run at [which are now the same across the board].

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

this:

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

GPU Boost 3.0 seems to still be active from what I'm hearing. The AIB coolers will still clock higher if thermals and voltage allow. The only difference seems to be the minimum clocks the card will run at [which are now the same across the board].

But you're right it does kill some of the point, since regardless of whether you get the base model or a fancy one you have the same change of getting a great (or crappy) chip.

41 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

The card was made for marketing only.

People will compare 1070s. 1070tis and 1080s. 

They will ignore the obsolete vega cards and nvidia knows.

It was a deathblow, nothing more, nothing less. It was a move by a company that came up with an "answer" to vega, about 18 moths ago.

Sad for consumers. We need another company to step in and try to compete.

The more people talking about  gtx1070Ti the less that are talking about vega 56. 

And even they said : "hey 70ti is stupid I will get a GTX1080 HA nvidia! you cant trick me!"

They still, send their money into nvidia's pocket... 

I wonder who is laughing now....

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

There never was much of a reason to begin with: Sure they had guaranteed overclocks with different steps along the way but most of their models are so damn close together in all aspects it hardly matters: As long as you don't do drastic jumps like going to water even going from a 2 fan cooler card to a 3 fan cooler card only means knocking down 5c to the temps but both cards hit their OC limit just fine once you manually overclock yourself.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

But GPU Boost 3.0 is affected by the voltage/frequency curve. Max voltage is up to 1.062V on Pascal by default so the max frequency will max out at whatever the curve is set for at 1.062V if the temperatures are low enough.

By restricting AIB partners to do factory OC, doesent that mean that the curve will have to be identical to the FE card? Otherwise, that would be OC as well. Which means, that only advantage from the AIB cards is better temps which will lead to more stable and higher clocks on average but not higher max clocks.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I have a EVGA GTX1060 single fan edition with reference PCB design. 

I am truly amazed that how cool this thing runs. I dont mean on idle, I mean when I am gaming (witcher 3) at 1440p resolution. The thing is way cooler than I thought it would be. 

Just now, WereCat said:

But GPU Boost 3.0 is affected by the voltage/frequency curve. Max voltage is up to 1.062V on Pascal by default so the max frequency will max out at whatever the curve is set for at 1.062V if the temperatures are low enough.

By restricting AIB partners to do factory OC, doesent that mean that the curve will have to be identical to the FE card? Otherwise, that would be OC as well. Which means, that only advantage from the AIB cards is better temps which will lead to more stable and higher clocks on average but not higher max clocks.

Not really: The restriction it's only factory OC not user OC: having the custom power phases would yield a marginal yet measurable difference for someone manually overclocking.

So even if both the AIB and the FE cards are the same clocks out of the box you can probably push the AIB card a hell of a lot harder because 1) It has the better cooler and 2) It has the more robust power delivery system.

The fans matter more up to a point and the power requirements matter very little unless you actually plan to put the card on Water or LN2 but it's there, it's something.

-------

Current Rig

-------