AIB Partners give their anonymous 2 cents on 1070Ti

AlTech
1 minute ago, WereCat said:

But GPU Boost 3.0 is affected by the voltage/frequency curve. Max voltage is up to 1.062V on Pascal by default so the max frequency will max out at whatever the curve is set for at 1.062V if the temperatures are low enough.

By restricting AIB partners to do factory OC, doesent that mean that the curve will have to be identical to the FE card? Otherwise, that would be OC as well. Which means, that only advantage from the AIB cards is better temps which will lead to more stable and higher clocks on average but not higher max clocks.

You can still manually overclock, but yes. GPU Boost will stop at whatever the curve is. The FE is seldom used in the proper cases as many will opt for it in ATX cases where a fan would fare better. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not really: The restriction it's only factory OC not user OC: having the custom power phases would yield a marginal yet measurable difference for someone manually overclocking.

So even if both the AIB and the FE cards are the same clocks out of the box you can probably push the AIB card a hell of a lot harder because 1) It has the better cooler and 2) It has the more robust power delivery system.

The fans matter more up to a point and the power requirements matter very little unless you actually plan to put the card on Water or LN2 but it's there, it's something.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can still manually overclock, but yes. GPU Boost will stop at whatever the curve is. The FE is seldom used in the proper cases as many will opt for it in ATX cases where a fan would fare better. 

Yeah, you can always OC yourself. I just meant the clocks AIB can/can't use in the product by default.

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I have a EVGA GTX1060 single fan edition with reference PCB design. 

I am truly amazed that how cool this thing runs. I dont mean on idle, I mean when I am gaming (witcher 3) at 1440p resolution. The thing is way cooler than I thought it would be. 

Yep a lot of people right now place far too much importance in what model you get. Hell people have criticized me for still using a FE myself (I bought fairly close to the release so there weren't AIB models available locally to me at that point) and with a kinda OK case for noise (Fractal Define Mini C) there's little to no noise or performance problems with the crap AIB cooler: This is only 150watts for the 1070 after all you really don't need that much cooling on it until you get up to the 250 levels (1050ti or Vegas)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Yep a lot of people right now place far too much importance in what model you get. Hell people have criticized me for still using a FE myself (I bought fairly close to the release so there weren't AIB models available locally to me at that point) and with a kinda OK case for noise (Fractal Define Mini C) there's little to no noise or performance problems with the crap AIB cooler: This is only 150watts for the 1070 after all you really don't need that much cooling on it until you get up to the 250 levels (1050ti or Vegas)

To be honest, I can't even remember a generation where the AIB overclocked cards were ever better than another by more than a margin of error. Most of the difference just tends to be the power phases and cooler, nothing else. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I serioiusly do not get why anyone cares about out of the box pre-overclock. Like seriously why would you ever pay more money for it. Why would you even want it, it doesn't guarantee a better OC it's incredibly stupid and if it really does affect sales people are far dumber than anyone would have thought

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Yeah, you can always OC yourself. I just meant the clocks AIB can/can't use in the product by default.

I know it might seem like a minor distinction to us but look at my page 1 post: EVGA for example puts a ridiculous amount of cards out that are mostly identical in performance once you tweak them but they're banking on the fact that most people won't actually change any settings at all so they sell at 10 dollar increments depending on how much you got and how beefy you want performance to be.

This no default OC really hurts their practice, but in my opinion it wasn't a consumer friendly practice to begin with.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

years and years of marketing can change people's beliefs... 

marketing always works... no matter how much we think that we can out smart it,. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The fans matter more up to a point and the power requirements matter very little unless you actually plan to put the card on Water or LN2 but it's there, it's something.

Both cooling and power limit matters actually.

The 127% (355W) on my 1080ti FTW3 (air) was not enough to get most out of my card by a long shot. I am still on air and under the max 1.093V but I can go well above 400W which causes no fluctuation in clocks and improves the minimums by almost 10FPS.

Cooling is almost an issue now though :D

Just now, WereCat said:

Both cooling and power limit matters actually.

The 127% (355W) on my 1080ti FTW3 (air) was not enough to get most out of my card by a long shot. I am still on air and under the max 1.093V but I can go well above 400W which causes no fluctuation in clocks and improves the minimums by almost 10FPS.

Well that's kind of fair so I partially concede: In another post I specified that for cards at around 120 to 150 TDP is a very different story than the 1080ti which has a far higher tdp (along with Vega)

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 11/4/2017 at 10:17 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or they could have dropped the price of the 1080 and not released the 1070 Ti, which makes more sense :P

Or dropped the price of the 1080 and renamed it the 1070 Ti, so they could have their beloved Ti card...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch