Glorious Keyboard up for Pre-Order: 'The Last Keyboard you'll ever need!'

WMGroomAK

So this is definitely a winner for most awesome gaming keyboard name...  The 'Glorious PC Gaming Race GMMK TKL RGB' mechanical keyboard is up for Pre-Order with a shipping date of October 23.  What makes this keyboard different than the rest is that when they call it modular, they really do mean modular in that not only are the keycaps interchangable (as one would expect), but the key switches are also fully interchangeable.  Currently the board supposedly supports Kailh, Cherry, Gateron and Zealio switches.  As for pricing, the basic board, without switches or keycaps ships at $60.00 but you can get a full keycap set for $20.00 and a pack of Gateron switches for $30 to $35 or order your own switches of preference.  

59c97a0418f0f_TKLBoard.jpg.69f99319abc8ea0a297f08e84a93ae45.jpg      59c97a2f95dfa_TKLBoard2.jpg.6caefbbdede6f740b2f63dd570328fc3.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/glorious-pc-gmmk-tkl-rgb-modular-mechanical-keyboard,35535.html

The big selling point of the GMMK TKL is that it supports hot-swapping switches of varying brands. We’ve seen the hot-swap trick before, notably on the Wooting One and Epic Gear Defiant keyboards, but Glorious is hammering home the point that you aren’t limited to a single switch brand. The GMMK TKL supports Cherry, Kailh, Gateron, and Zealio switches.

All that’s required is the three-pin switch construction so they’ll fit into the holes on the PCB. You can lop off the little legs on any switch to convert them to plate-mounted, though.

One could be forgiven for feeling like this hot swap thing is a gimmick, but Glorious PC is leaning into its claim that this is the “last keyboard you will ever need to buy.” First, there’s the impressive list of supported switch brands, but because they’re all Cherry-stem compatible, you of course also get the benefit of loading one of these keyboards up with your favorite custom keycap sets, too. It’s also RGB-backlit.

The kicker, though, is that there’s no branding anywhere on this keyboard. That means you aren’t stuck with an endlessly customizable plank that’s stamped with a company logo, which was a wise move on the part of Glorious PC.

(Despite all of the above, it’s unlikely that this is the last keyboard any mech enthusiast will buy, because “endgame” is a myth.)  

The chassis has a sandblasted, black aluminum top plate; we aren’t sure what the rest of the chassis is made of.

The lights offers 18 preinstalled effects, and you can add one user-generated effect, too. Within those effects, you can change up the speed and brightness. The requisite keycap and switch pullers are included.

You can get a basic kit with no switches or caps for $60; another $20 gets you white or black keycaps (which are ABS doubleshot). Glorious PC sells (a variety of) Gateron switches, so you can add a 120-pack of those to your order for another $30-35. If you configure your order with the above, your total cost, then, will be $110-115.

Seems like a really neat concept, especially with being able to use different switch type and brands on the same keyboard.  Could see some scenarios where someone may want to use Cherry Speeds for their gaming keys and maybe Browns or something else for the rest of the board, although that may also be a little disconcerting for some typists if on certain keys they are not getting the same feedback as the rest of the board...

TechSpot Article: https://www.techspot.com/news/71121-glorious-modular-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-now-available-pre.html

For starters, it's not a 60% so there we have a first problem. But I still dig the concept.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've seen pricier keyboards. If it's nicely built and feels nice to use I could see this being a good keyboard.

Some keyboards cost (twice) more than scrapyard wars budget is, and that's only for case, pcb, plate and weight(s). No switches or keycaps. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Pretty cool looking. A bit of a steep price (Says the one who bought a Razer Chroma v1), but looks nice. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Looks pretty cool. IF the build quality is good, I'm sure this will sell like a wildfire.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

For starters, it's not a 60% so there we have a first problem.

I actually have no idea who uses 60%'s unless it's for people who frequently move computers.

EDIT: Just realized it's a 60% board. Dammit.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

These guys make decent mousepads, hopefully this is a winner as well. Wouldn't mind seeing more manufacturers adopt a universal modular standard, though I imagine some lawsuits would arise if "exclusive switches" are usable. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It's a bit lacking to be the last keyboard I ever need.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Looks pretty cool. IF the build quality is good, I'm sure this will sell like a wildfire.

I actually have no idea who uses 60%'s unless it's for people who frequently move computers.

I use a 60% Ducky Shine Mini, and it's amazing. I also have a TKL (Quickfire Rapid) and full size (K70), and the Ducky is just SOOO much better for me. I don't need any of the other keys, so I'd rather have the smaller keyboard and thus more freedom to spread my hands however I like and I get more room on my desk. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Am I the only one who actually uses the numpad?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Nope, was just about to say the same thing :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

i use the del button on numpad LOL

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I uses it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I use a 60% Ducky Shine Mini, and it's amazing. I also have a TKL (Quickfire Rapid) and full size (K70), and the Ducky is just SOOO much better for me. I don't need any of the other keys, so I'd rather have the smaller keyboard and thus more freedom to spread my hands however I feel like. 

Just now, Lurick said:

Nope, was just about to say the same thing :) 

I mean, how do people enter their numbers without a numpad? It seems very tedious to do it on a tenkeyless.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I use the numpad at work, however it's not as needed on the gaming PC...  That being said, they appear to have a full size board setup starting at the same price.

10 minutes ago, MageTank said:

These guys make decent mousepads, hopefully this is a winner as well. Wouldn't mind seeing more manufacturers adopt a universal modular standard, though I imagine some lawsuits would arise if "exclusive switches" are usable. 

Ya so much for buckling spring switches...

Just now, bob51zhang said:

I mean, how do people enter their numbers without a numpad? It seems very tedious to do it on a tenkeyless.

They're some type of sub squishy fleshy thing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, bob51zhang said:

I don't frequently sit and enter numbers into a spreadsheet. If I did, then I'd probably have a number pad. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, TheGleaner said:

Should be an option to not/have numpad, because if it had the numpad I would buy it

So it's not completely modular! AHA!

They have lied to us all!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I don't frequently sit and enter numbers into a spreadsheet. If I did, then I'd probably have a number pad. 

As someone who has to frequently type in IPv4 addresses over the course of the day, a 10-key is very helpful :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

As someone who has to frequently type in IPv4 addresses over the course of the day, a 10-key is very helpful :) 

Everything is modular with a bit of duct tape. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler