Apple questioned about Face ID security by a US Senator

Sources: Engadget via Senator Al Franken (D-MN)

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.64c247694d5f44230181b4ff5d7009ca.jpg

A lot of people quickly raised concerns about privacy and security the moment Apple revealed iPhone X and its Face ID feature. Edward Snowden, for instance, thinks it normalizes face scanning, "a tech certain to be abused." Now, US Senator Al Franken is pressing the tech titan for answers, penning a letter addressed to Apple chief Tim Cook with a list of questions concerning the technology's "eventual uses that may not be contemplated by" its customers.

Did Apple opened a whole new can of worms with their Face ID? One US Senator says so. In the letter he even asked on how Apple will plan to respond to law enforcement agencies like the Department of Justice when they refused to unlock an iPhone 5c few years ago. But the last time I checked, this also raised a concern with Touch ID by the same senator on privacy and security back in 2013 by the same senator. Personally, I think it's a problem with a lot of politicians lately is their naivety when it comes to technology. Also, Apple already explained how Face ID works and that all biometric information is tucked away in the Secure Enclave co-processor. Also, why is Franken continuing to insinuate that Apple might need to store Face ID data remotely when Apple explicitly said that all of it is stored locally but separate from the phone storage. 

Personally, until Face ID has proven itself just like Touch ID, I don't think Face ID is much more convenient than Touch ID. But those concerns raised by Franken are just redundant. 

Edited by hey_yo_
changed the article in the title from "the" to "a"

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

To be fair, they've already got facial rec for passports stored in government databases.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

To be fair, they've already got facial rec for passports stored in government databases.

But they can't use those pictures to unlock an iPhone X. I think this senator is just looking for a loophole to force Apple to give the US gov't access to the Face ID data stored in the secure enclave.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

They're probably upset they haven't agreed to share the full database with their agencies though

True. Also, Franken's letter sounds like one of those people who are still asking where is the bathroom when they're already standing next to it. 

I find it funny that everyone seems to be freaking out about faceID security whereas no one ever talked about it THAT much when it came to the S8 and Note 8's Iris Scanner and Facial Recognition that have both shown that they can be fooled with just a picture.

Apple actually went out and built something relatively foolproof in terms of getting fooled by a picture. I don't know about actually getting the data itself but they did at least do better than Samsung in that regard. And I would probably say that they most likely did better than others like Samsung in keeping the data secure.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

But they can't use those pictures to unlock an iPhone X. I think this senator is just looking for a loophole to force Apple to give the US gov't access to the Face ID data stored in the secure enclave.

If it behaves like Touch ID, that doesn't matter - the it still needs your passcode after a while 

Just now, DocSwag said:

I find it funny that everyone seems to be freaking out about faceID security whereas no one ever talked about it THAT much when it came to the S8 and Note 8's Iris Scanner and Facial Recognition that have both shown that they can be fooled with just a picture.

Apple actually went out and built something relatively foolproof in terms of getting fooled by a picture. I don't know about actually getting the data itself but they did at least do better than Samsung in that regard. And I would probably say that they most likely did better than others like Samsung in keeping the data secure.

I think because the iPhone is the widely used smartphone by politicians in America. Another reason is probably the San Bernardino case few years ago when Apple refused to unlock the iPhone 5c. But yeah, it's easier to hate Apple when you're a politician imo.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

If it behaves like Touch ID, that doesn't matter - the it still needs your passcode after a while 

and after ten wrong passcode attempts, it will securely delete all data inside ^_^

I already know damn well Al Franken couldn't give a shit. He's deep within the pockets of the government, hell, I'm sure all he wants is access to that shit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

51 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I already know damn well Al Franken couldn't give a shit. He's deep within the pockets of the government, hell, I'm sure all he wants is access to that shit.

A government official deep within the pockets of government? :|

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

A government official deep within the pockets of government? :|

What an unexpected plot twist, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

What an unexpected plot twist, isn't it?

Al Franken is deep within the pockets of Al Franken

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Al Franken is deep within the pockets of Al Franken

Sometimes I too feel deep inside myself..

.. oh wait, that's she said. Akward.

I mean I get it it's cool no hand use and fast but still. Pattern pass is what is best. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Personally, I think it's a problem with a lot of politicians lately is their naivety when it comes to technology.

On the contrary, naivety lies on the side of people embracing biometric locks as safe just because they look cool like the sci fi movies from their childhood, when it is in practice weaker and more problematic (for reasons such as the ones outlined by this senator: "your account may have been compromised, we advice you change your face / fingerprint"... and others not mentioned here, like laws allowing government agencies to physically force you to unlock devices), and only has value at best as a complement to passwords (you know, that superior technology we already had). As soon as it is breached once, though, you are back to password-only security forever.

Does anyone really care what Al Franken-stein has to say?  I know I sure don't.

13 hours ago, DocSwag said:

To be fair, while Samsung added facial recognition login, they still gave you other options like the fingerprint sensor.  On the new iPhone X (and 8?), there is no fingerprint sensor.  Just FaceID.

In any event, I wouldn't use any of them.  For one thing, I have my front facing camera completely covered up.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

and 8?

The 8 has touchID, pyo. Not sure if it has faceID though, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, DocSwag said:

To me , the problem with FaceID is that it's the only way to unlock your phone, apart from a passcode. 

If it had TouchID behind the Apple logo (go on, hold an iPhone, where does your finger rest? near the Apple logo, even on a plus), then it would be talked about MUCH less, like the S8/N8.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 15/09/2017 at 6:53 AM, hey_yo_ said:

In the letter he even asked on how Apple will plan to respond to law enforcement agencies like the Department of Justice when they refused to unlock an iPhone 5c few years ago.

Couldn't the police officer or whoever in theory just hold the phone up to the suspects face and unlock the phone that way? 

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Govt sees ridiculous phone price tag and wants some of that Apple money. Like I give a damn if Apple does something shady with their face id database. Idiots who buy those overpriced phones place an abnormal amount of trust in Apple and deserve any shit they get anyway. 

The exact same thing can be said about Android/Google. To be honest Google is much, much, much more intrusive than Apple when it comes to data mining and privacy... They probably know more about us than we know ourselves at this point.

In all honesty, I cannot see facial recognition being the thing of the future for Apple. I would rather have Touch ID than Facial recognition since Touch ID is so much simpler since you do not have to look at your phone in any weird way to access it and no-one else can access your phone. Not even your twin can!

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, OmJo93 said:

Couldn't the police officer or whoever in theory just hold the phone up to the suspects face and unlock the phone that way? 

Not really. It won't unlock if your eyes are shut, and it won't unlock unless you're looking directly at it. They could lock you up for not opening your eyes and looking at it, though.

I used to be quite active here.

27 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes but Google offers a heck of a lot of free services that many people deem indispensable. Good Android phones can be had without selling an organ, and people concerned with privacy have the opportunity to install ad blockers or even AOSP roms that do not require Google services. Apple offer nothing for free, and you can't have your way with their products despite the high price.

That is true, you can even control what Google apps are on your phone with custom ROMs via GApps or something. A lot more flexible.

Still I think I'd rather pay monthly for certain services like I do with Play Music than have them collect data on everything I do, since I only use a handful of Google services.