Apple questioned about Face ID security by a US Senator

5 hours ago, OmJo93 said:

Couldn't the police officer or whoever in theory just hold the phone up to the suspects face and unlock the phone that way? 

Cops can do that as well as jealous spouses but you have to keep your eyes open for Face ID to work so closing your eyes will not unlock it. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 9/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, hey_yo_ said:

I think this senator is just looking for a loophole to force Apple to give the US gov't access to the Face ID data stored in the secure enclave.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/23/opinion/franken-nsa-spying/index.html

Franken voted against the extension of the Patriot Act and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act because they wouldn't make amendments to make the surveillance more transparent.  He did come to the NSA's defense as well from time to time, but overall I have the impression that he's on the correct side when it comes to privacy etc. 

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/23/opinion/franken-nsa-spying/index.html

Franken voted against the extension of the Patriot Act and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act because they wouldn't make amendments to make the surveillance more transparent.  He did come to the NSA's defense as well from time to time, but overall I have the impression that he's on the correct side when it comes to privacy etc. 

If you read the letter a lot of his words are just redundant and repetitive 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 9/15/2017 at 11:07 PM, Drak3 said:

The 8 has touchID, pyo. Not sure if it has faceID though, pyo.

why the fuck do you put pyo after every sentence?

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

why the fuck do you put pyo after every sentence?

I like it, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

And yet so many people have no problem publishing their pictures online of their own accord.

21 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

In all honesty, I cannot see facial recognition being the thing of the future for Apple. I would rather have Touch ID than Facial recognition since Touch ID is so much simpler since you do not have to look at your phone in any weird way to access it and no-one else can access your phone. Not even your twin can!

If only touchID was as secure as you think...! While it requires a bit more determination than just looking over your shoulder while you type in your pin, it's hardly impenetrable and once your prints are out, you can't change them.

The most secure method remains a good password and common sense. It may not be the most convenient, but if you really care about security it's the only way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 9/15/2017 at 10:16 PM, themctipers said:

To me , the problem with FaceID is that it's the only way to unlock your phone, apart from a passcode. 

If it had TouchID behind the Apple logo (go on, hold an iPhone, where does your finger rest? near the Apple logo, even on a plus), then it would be talked about MUCH less, like the S8/N8.

Everything that was mentioned is just as much of an issue with TouchID.

P.S. my finger doesn't rest on the Apple logo.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

31 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Everything that was mentioned is just as much of an issue with TouchID.

P.S. my finger doesn't rest on the Apple logo.

Near, not on.

Pretty sure TouchID has already proven itself.. Now we wait for FaceID to prove itself aswell.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Near, not on.

Pretty sure TouchID has already proven itself.. Now we wait for FaceID to prove itself aswell.

Also no, I have to completely readjust my grip (to one that feels far less secure) for me to position my finger on the apple logo. 

But this senator wasn't really questioning if FaceID is secure but rather pointing out a bunch of issues with it -- that all apply just as much to TouchID. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Is anyone else more concerned with the fact that a US senator or his secretary or whomever, either didn't proofread this letter or just plain missed several glaring mistakes, especially in a formal letter?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 9/18/2017 at 5:24 PM, paddy-stone said:

Is anyone else more concerned with the fact that a US senator or his secretary or whomever, either didn't proofread this letter or just plain missed several glaring mistakes, especially in a formal letter?

It's Al Franken.  Frankly, I'd be more concerned if there weren't glaring mistakes.

Then again, it could be worse.  It could have been from Hank Johnson.