French cloud company Qarnot using Ryzen CPUs to heat water while in use

Intel's HEDT platforms, running an AVX workload, would be substancially more effective, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Intel's HEDT platforms, running an AVX workload, would be substancially more effective, pyo.

To heat water indeed!

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Might as well be called 'Intel HEAT' amirite

sorry

Am I the only one bothered by the fact they never specified which i7 they used to use what feels like this was a cheap marketing in favour to Ryzen and its "50% performance increase"

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

originally posted in CPUs, Motherboards and Memory subforum by @ashu1106 

No, this isn't a joke to make fun of Ryzen heat output.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/14/qarnot_drops_intel_adopts_amd/

I'll get on board when it can fry bacon.

A lot misleading title,they do it for the cores-to-power ratio

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Might as well be called 'Intel HEAT' amirite

sorry

Heating Extreme, Daring Tempuratures, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Fair point. Should I remove the word 'Ryzen' from the title?

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact they never specified which i7 they used to use what feels like this was a cheap marketing in favour to Ryzen and its "50% performance increase"

I mean, I don't think it helps with the marketing saying they get hot enough to heat water, but yeah. It was probably the X299 i7s, but who knows.

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The virtualization workload would benefit from more cores...

2 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

It was probably the X299 i7s

Impossible to be the latest HEDT i7's as they all severely outperforms common Ryzen 7 processors, they are bad value for money or overpriced sure but no fucking way a Ryzen 7 1800x is 45% faster than an i7 7820x, in fact it isn't faster than even a i7 6900k, it is more likely these servers were rocking old i7 3960k's or some other x79 chipset processor.

4 minutes ago, dogetorhue said:

The virtualization workload would benefit from more cores...

There are i7's with up to 10c/20t that easily outperforms any Ryzen on virtualization which reinforces my point that when you don't specify which model it is you're just doing a cheap propaganda

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Impossible to be the latest HEDT i7's as they all severely outperforms common Ryzen 7 processors, they are bad value for money or overpriced sure but no fucking way a Ryzen 7 1800x is 45% faster than an i7 7820x, in fact it isn't faster than even a i7 6900k, it is more likely these servers were rocking old i7 3960k's or some other x79 chipset processor.

There are i7's with up to 10c/20t that easily outperforms any Ryzen on virtualization which reinforces my point that when you don't specify which model it is you're just doing a cheap propaganda

Salty fanboyism alert.

They said exactly which cpu they are referring to. They had less cores on their system before, that should tell you exactly what you need to know.

That and they can choose whatever cpu they want, you don't have to judge what they take. In this case there are obvious reason to go team red. You have great perf for a much lower cost, and for something you'd want to use spread out as boilers, it's actually better not to have 4000€ worth of hardware laying around for some people to grab. Since it's for a distributed cloud, they won't overclock cpus, so Intel perf isn't necessarily as impressive as they benefit from more overclocking headroom. Finally ryzen pro can maybe offer some encryption goodies whivh are preferable for a distributed system of the sort. They have plenty reasons to go this way.

“Ryzen Pro is producing the same heat as the equivalent Intel CPUs we were using while providing twice as many cores.”

This sounds like a testament to their efficiency rather than a critique to their heat output ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Quad core (according to this article), 4.0Ghz boost(according to their website), Skylake(according to it being released Q2 2016, and news articles about it from it's launch). So are there any options other than the 6700 (non-k)?

48 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Salty fanboyism alert.

I have a Ryzen 7 1800x ........??

49 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

They said exactly which cpu they are referring to

They said i7, there are about 20 i7's so nope.

49 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

They had less cores on their system before, that should tell you exactly what you need to know.

This was never stated in this poorly written article, it simply said they had performance improve worth of 45%... with zero methodology to explain it.

50 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

That and they can choose whatever cpu they want, you don't have to judge what they take.

Of course any one can have the CPU of their choices, where did I ever judged their choice for CPU? I criticized the article as it is extremely poorly written and does not specify any thing.

51 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

In this case there are obvious reason to go team red. You have great perf for a much lower cost, and for something you'd want to use spread out as boilers, it's actually better not to have 4000€ worth of hardware laying around for some people to grab.

Value is dictated by need which is subjective and not worth arguing about.

52 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Since it's for a distributed cloud, they won't overclock cpus, so Intel perf isn't necessarily as impressive as they benefit from more overclocking headroom.

Neither will the Ryzen be overclocked meaning the single core performance which still is relevant as it does dictates how good multi-threaded performance can be will show even greater gap, it has been seen how the i7 8700k with 6c/12t only matches if not outperforms the R7 1700 in MULTI-Threaded performance, why? better cores beats more bad cores.

54 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Finally ryzen pro can maybe offer some encryption goodies whivh are preferable for a distributed system of the sort. They have plenty reasons to go this way.

Ryzen Pro main selling point is validation and its encryption security yes, although nothing Intel does not also offer with their Xeon line up, whichever you pick is simply a matter of preference based on need rather than simplistic "this is better".

Finally I do ask for @wkdpaul attention as following the guideline:
Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.

I honestly fail to see this article as reputable content at all.

Personal Desktop":

45 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This sounds like a testament to their efficiency rather than a critique to their heat output ^^

It definitely is

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

That would be excellent, we have so much potential heating sitting around in our world.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

You know some pictures on it will be nice. And that article is wrong. It will use both AMD and Intel cpus.

oYVIOh22cWAHhzo0.jpg

V5Gwu9b6zoO4Rk8x.jpg

uA8tXa2dDMXqEooX.jpg

sJO5bkX0DV3Y5KqO.jpg

iaoKtZMYPbLlICn1.jpg

YEfgjotPRrWL78yX.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, ErrantNyles said:

If you read the article it's not misleading at all.

6 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Salty fanboyism alert.

They said exactly which cpu they are referring to. They had less cores on their system before, that should tell you exactly what you need to know.

That and they can choose whatever cpu they want, you don't have to judge what they take. In this case there are obvious reason to go team red. You have great perf for a much lower cost, and for something you'd want to use spread out as boilers, it's actually better not to have 4000€ worth of hardware laying around for some people to grab. Since it's for a distributed cloud, they won't overclock cpus, so Intel perf isn't necessarily as impressive as they benefit from more overclocking headroom. Finally ryzen pro can maybe offer some encryption goodies whivh are preferable for a distributed system of the sort. They have plenty reasons to go this way.

The article does not say which i7, in fact the article doesn't even qualify with any performance figures.  For all we know they had 4 core haswells in their servers last year.  Of course ryzen will have double the core count with higher temp output if that's the case.   Hell, we should even expect a good increase in overall performance too from such a comparison. In fact given one of their driving motives was to balance performance with heat generation, we don't even know what compromises they made and if they would have chosen a different CPU had the heat output requirements been slightly different.

The article is about not wasting heat output from server/render farms.  It's not a benchmark review. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, LeinadTM said:

I mean, I don't think it helps with the marketing saying they get hot enough to heat water, but yeah.

Any CPU ever made(*) gets hot enough to heat water under load - just try running them without a heatsink.

This isn't different than liquid cooling, except in closed loop liquid cooling the design focuses on keeping the water cool, while here it's more of an "open" loop, designed so that the water does get hot, but it's replaced by new, cold water. 

7 hours ago, LeinadTM said:

It was probably the X299 i7s, but who knows.

Given that X299 is barely out, I doubt anyone buying them is already replacing them with anything, Ryzen or not. I'd bet more on over stuff, at least a generation old, to justify replacement. 

I thought cloud company meant they made clouds for longer than I would like to admit. I did eventually figure it out but I had a moment there.

Sometimes I worry myself

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

5 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I thought cloud company meant they made clouds for longer than I would like to admit. I did eventually figure it out but I had a moment there.

Sometimes I worry myself

3 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Sometimes I worry myself

186013441.jpg

Cloud company at 50% CPU utilization. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

186013441.jpg

Cloud company at 50% CPU utilization. 

Good thing they went with Ryzen over the Intel cpus they were using

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro