Microsoft increases Windows Store Device Limit. Install Apps on Up To 2000 Windows 10 Devices....

AlTech

Microsoft is increasing the Windows 10 Device Limit.

What this means is that users will gradually be able to install Windows 10 Apps on Up To 2000 WIndows 10 Devices.

This was previously limited to 10.

E.g.

snip1.PNG.9d392c1d7ac824db2792bc26b2a609ac.PNG

Image from Windows Central

winstore_devicelimit.PNG?itok=Clca06qU

It appears that this is being rolled out and not everybody has access to this new limit yet. People who currently have access to this new limit appear to be the people who have exceeded the old limit. Microsoft has not made any comment regarding this at this time.

When Microsoft first launched the Windows Store back in 2012, it imposed a limit on the number of devices a single Microsoft account could install Store apps on. Originally, this number was a measly five, but that was increased to 81 a year later before being decreased to ten with the launch of Windows 10. Now, it seems Microsoft has had yet another change of heart, as the device limit has increased to 2,000.

If you're wondering how many devices you have signed into the Windows Store, you can head to the Microsoft Account website to check. You will now see the limit has increased from 10 to 2,000 devices per account, which should mean most people no longer have to worry about the device limit, especially if you're someone who has more than ten devices signed into your account.

This may be a result of Microsoft expecting stronger Xbox One sales (yes Xbox One consoles count as Windows 10 Devices), stronger Windows 10 IoT device sales and other sales such as Cortana powered Speakers or fridges.

Hopefully we'll know more soon.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-increases-windows-store-device-limit-10-2000

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

Why not just remove the limit?

If you have over 2000 devices connected to one account, then they may not have originally belonged to you. ~~IT Admins have different ways of managing Windows Store App deployments.~~

Most people won't buy more than 10 Windows 10 devices let alone 2000.

2000 is a pretty safe limit for just about everyone.

The only time this was ever slightly annoying is for me cos I have 3/4. Phone, Laptop + Desktop + sometimes an Xbone that I can borrow.

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

account sharing

Also this ^^^.

I think technically account owners can let their family use the same account but otherwise people can't share accounts. Just how Steam has the Steam sharing thing except this implementation is better because people can use the same account on multiple devices doing multiple things at the same time.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Still not enough (/s)

It most likely was so people cannot ,as above said, share accounts ,and therefore only buy software once and share it among friends.

5 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

It most likely was so people cannot ,as above said, share accounts ,and therefore only buy software once and share it among friends.

Which is stupid and doesn't work, just like all forms of DRM. A pirate would not have this limitation, whereas a person who paid would.

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

stronger Windows 10 IoT device sales and other sales such as Cortana powered Speakers or fridges.

PLS NO :S

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm pretty close with nine devices, so this is great news for me. Especially since I'll be expanding the capabilities of the mobile unit in the coming months to include its own database and systems. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

59 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

No one has 100 friends to share software with, let alone 2,000. hence the question, what's the difference between 2,000 and unlimited? That you can't have one universal account for the whole planet? 

I'm not arguing for or against a limit, I just find it strange to set a limit intended to be as relevant as no limit at all. 

But I just dropped over a million dollars on Xbones. Even with this new limit, I still won't be able to install my apps on 500 of them.

7 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No one has 100 friends to share software with, let alone 2,000. hence the question, what's the difference between 2,000 and unlimited? That you can't have one universal account for the whole planet? 

I'm not arguing for or against a limit, I just find it strange to set a limit intended to be as relevant as no limit at all. 

maybe they aren't worried about small time account sharing but rather large ones like some of the old music sharing services back in the day.

If they are worried about account sharing... they could've just put the limit to a more "normal" number, like 50. I very much doubt anyone sane enough, legit owns more than 50 devices and needs access to their Windows Store account on each of them.

Like AluminiumTech said, IT admins have others ways to deploy apps so it doesn't concern them.

At 2000 install limit, you'd think they are somewhat encouraging account sharing. You just need a dozen accounts to be able to share it with 24000 people, if all of these people pay a small "fee" to be part of this account sharing scheme, that's a massive profit overall.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

At 2000 install limit, you'd think they are somewhat encouraging account sharing. You just need a dozen accounts to be able to share it with 24000 people, if all of these people pay a small "fee" to be part of this account sharing scheme, that's a massive profit overall.

That's assuming that people are actually buying apps from the Microsoft store.

I assume this will apply to Windows 8.x too. Unfortunately, the Windows Store on Windows 8.x is completely broken.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Windows 8 is completely broken.

Fixed that for you.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

-Snip, pyo-

Windows 8/8.1 wasn't actually that bad pyo. Not optimal for desktops, but not as tragic as people like to believe, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

41 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 8/8.1 wasn't actually that bad pyo. Not optimal for desktops, but not as tragic as people like to believe, pyo.

but it was bad, and when you are the worlds biggest OS company, and making the kind of money they do, Not Bad just isn't good enough, yes 8.1 did fix a lot but 8 at release was awful, specially when you compare it to W7 and W10 at launch.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 to 2000? 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

8 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Fixed that for you.

Windows 8/8.1 isn't a bad OS in terms of performance, it just has a horrible UI.  Fortunately, there are third party programs that fix that (such as Classic Shell, Start 8, etc).