Asus TUF Gaming sudden VGA and boot light

After being woken from sleep my PC would no longer display output. I first tried force restart but that didn't work. I then tried a number of steps:

• Reseated my GPU and reconnected power from PSU
  • Unplugged the PC and removed the CMOS battery for 10 minutes 
  • Shorted the CLRTC pins
  • Tried to boot without peripherals
  • Tried HDMI instead of DP
  • One RAM stick at a time

However what got it working again was booting the PC with no GPU, reinserting it and booting again. This only got me as far as the BIOS as now the PC can not see my M.2 SSD(boot drive). For this I tried first resetting the BIOS to defaults this brought me back to square one with no display output. This time I noticed both the VGA and Boot lights on. The previous solution worked for the GPU(down to the boot light only) so I started going through BIOS settings and other troubleshooting:

• Ensured CSM was enabled. 
  • Boot device control is set to UEFI and legacy
  • Secure boot is set to Windows UEFI
  • I updated the BIOS (again brought me to square one with the GPU)
  • Along with a host of other SATA, NVME and PCIe related settings.
  • Changed M2 slot
  • Tried repairing using a windows install drive

The drive is till not detected by the BIOS. Any help on this would be much appreciated. 

Specs

TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) bios v.3607

Ryzen 5 5600x

2 x Gskill 16G 2133MHz

Asus 1060 6GB

Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVME M2 SSD

Corsair RM850

Windows 11 64 Bit 

Thanks

Have you tried reseating the CPU, checking that your cooler isn't tightened down too hard?  AM5 loves to have the funniest little issues if the mounting pressure isn't Goldilocks levels of perfect.

Beyond that, see if the M.2 can be read on another device if available, swap a different M.2 in it you can.  Controllers on those don't fail often, but it does happen, and causes issues similar to what you're describing.

On 5/22/2024 at 11:46 PM, DanteCoal said:

Have you tried reseating the CPU, checking that your cooler isn't tightened down too hard?  AM5 loves to have the funniest little issues if the mounting pressure isn't Goldilocks levels of perfect.

Beyond that, see if the M.2 can be read on another device if available, swap a different M.2 in it you can.  Controllers on those don't fail often, but it does happen, and causes issues similar to what you're describing.

Thanks for your reply. The former seems unlikely (but by no means am I ruling it out) since the PC has been running for a few years without issue.

So I'll follow the second line of troubleshooting for now. Unfortunately I've no device that reads M.2 devices. I'll pick up a USB enclosure for it, plug it into my laptop and see if that's the issue. 

AFAIK the graphics card health check is ran before the boot drive. Could the M2 drive being faulty effect the graphics card?