Verizon changes it's unlimited plan, ALL video is now throttled

shermantanker

Well, now we know why Verizon Wireless was “testing” reduced Netflix streaming speeds last month. Today the biggest US carrier announced that its existing unlimited data plan is being divided into three new options: Go Unlimited (starting at $75 for a single line), Beyond Unlimited ($85 for first line), and Business Unlimited. Unlike the relatively straightforward unlimited plan that Verizon surprised customers with in February, these new monthly plans are chock-full of fine print and caveats. And in a move sure to anger net neutrality advocates, the regular “Go Unlimited” plan throttles all smartphone video streaming to 480p / DVD-quality. The new plans go into effect beginning tomorrow, August 23rd, so this change is happening fast. Existing postpaid customers can keep their current plan, but some things will change even for them.

Plans

Spoiler

Go Unlimited
1 line: $75/month
2 lines: $65 per line/month
3 lines: $50 per line/month
4 lines+: $40 per line/month
Paper-free billing and AutoPay must be enabled for these prices, otherwise you pay $5 more/month.

Unlimited 4G LTE data, but you could experience reduced speeds if the network is congested at all times. Not after 10GB or 15GB or 20GB or 22GB of full-speed data usage. If the network is congested where you are, you might get slowed down — even at the very beginning of your billing cycle.
Unlimited talk/text.
DVD-quality video streaming (480p) on smartphones and HD (720p) video streaming on tablets. There’s no way to watch at higher resolution for either.
Unlimited mobile hotspot, but hotspot speeds are capped at a maximum of 600kbps.

Beyond Unlimited
1 line: $85/month
2 lines: $80 per line/month
3 lines: $60 per line/month
4 lines+: $50 per line/month
Paper-free billing and AutoPay must be enabled for these prices, otherwise you pay $5 more/month.

Unlimited 4G LTE data, but you could experience reduced speeds at times of network congestion once you exceed 22GB in a billing cycle.
Unlimited talk/text.
HD video streaming on smartphones (limited to 720p) and Full HD 1080p video streaming for tablets. There is no way to stream videos at 1080p or higher on phones — period.
Unlimited mobile hotspot data with up to 15GB of LTE speeds. If your laptop is tethered to your phone, video quality on your laptop will be limited to 1080p.
Free calling, texting, and data in Mexico and Canada.

Existing Customers

Spoiler

WHAT IF I’M ALREADY ON THE UNLIMITED PLAN FROM EARLIER THIS YEAR?
Verizon insists that existing customers will be able keep their current plan. So you can keep paying what you are now without having to pick between the new plans. And as a bonus, for everyone on the previous unlimited data plan from February, Verizon is increasing the allowance for full-speed LTE hotspot usage from 10GB to 15GB for existing customers at no charge.

If you’re on one of the bucketed plans or the really old unlimited plan still, you can stay on those, too. But there’s one more big catch even if you change nothing, and it affects everyone...

ALL CUSTOMERS ARE GETTING MOVED OVER TO THROTTLED VIDEO.
This is what’s likely going to enrage Verizon customers most. No matter what plan you’re on — whether it’s the old, grandfathered unlimited data plan or a tiered plan or the new unlimited plan — Verizon is taking a tighter grip over video streaming. “Moving forward, HD video on all legacy plans will also match Beyond Unlimited’s HD quality.”

So you’ll soon be limited to a maximum video quality of 720p streaming on phones and 1080p if you’ve got a tablet on your plan. There’s no going higher for anyone. Even with a laptop connected to your mobile hotspot, you’ll never be able to reach video speeds higher than 10Mbps. “We're doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network since there is no visible difference in quality on a smartphone or tablet when video is shown at higher resolutions (than 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets).” Verizon doesn’t point to any specific data that backs up its “nobody can see a difference” observation between 720p and 1080p on a 5.5-inch screen.

Well I'm pretty pissed about this, and the "introductory pricing" statement they made is bull. All major carriers have implemented similar controls on their network, and there isn't much you can do now if you wanted to switch. There is literally nothing you can do now if you want 1080p on Verizon phones, no upgrade, fee, charge, or bribe to get it.

Source: Verge

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

WTF!?

I live out in the country where our telecommunications lines haven't been updated since WWII (not an exaggeration). Satellite internet isn't viable for our uses, WiMAX tops out a 3Mbps (in a household LITTERED with internet aware devices), DSL service is only SLIGHTLY faster than dial-up, and cable?! ...forget about it... they wont run $100,000 worth of cable, modernization upgrades to the support beams, and asorted telecom equipment for 10 properties.

Verizon wireless is the ONLY high speed, medium latency option we have that is a reasonable price. THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I'm still trying to figure out how you get this Unlimited Data if they are throttling and limiting your connections...  Also, I'm fairly sure that people don't purchase these high resolution screen phones to watch videos at 480p.

It still is unlimited data just not unlimited speed.

2 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

10Mbps video requires 10Mb of data every second. you most certainly ARE data capped for video.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Hrm I see a business opportunity :P

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

This is why apple is the best the iPhone 7 is 720p so they'll be no difference.

Some say they have a seer who saw this coming and that's why the iPhone 7 has a 720p display in 2017.

Good job I live in a reasonable country and get Unlimited data for £24 a month with the only restriction being the 30GB hotspot limit.

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

Except that by reducing the speed accessible, you are ultimately limiting the amount of data that is accessible in a month... By my second best napkin math, in a 30 day month, they are limiting you to around 200 GB (if you use all of your data at the beginning of the month and run on the throttled connection 24/7 for the rest of the month) of total data usage by throttling back your connections after the first 10 to 20 GB of data usage.  

RIP people in US with Verizon

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

well this is a pice of horse shit. good job.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

10Mbps video requires 10Mb of data every second. you most certainly ARE data capped for video.

No your speed capped. You can still download that entire video without being cut off, you just can't stream it.

Time for people to speak with their wallets. Don't like what Verizon is offering? Mover over to AT&T cellular, Boost mobile, Virgin Mobile, Straight talk, Pay as you go, T-Mobile, Or many other carriers that are available.

Why is anyone upset about this?

Grow up and move on! 

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

1 minute ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Time for people to speak with their wallets. Don't like what Verizon is offering? Mover over to AT&T cellular, Boost mobile, Virgin Mobile, Straight talk, Pay as you go, T-Mobile, Or many other carriers that are available.

Grow up and move on! 

Because service for all of those is shit where I live.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Except that by reducing the speed accessible, you are ultimately limiting the amount of data that is accessible in a month... By my second best napkin math, in a 30 day month, they are limiting you to around 200 GB (if you use all of your data at the beginning of the month and run on the throttled connection 24/7 for the rest of the month) of total data usage by throttling back your connections after the first 10 to 20 GB of data usage.  

By that logic there is no such thing as an unlimited service.

Just now, shermantanker said:

Because service for all of those is shit where I live.

Carriers share Cell towers.   Still don't understand.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

Sounds like Verizon.

I did see some benchmarks of Verizon before and after the introduction of their new unlimited plan, and average speeds have come down. It's funny how the solution isn't to improve their network.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

By that logic there is no such thing as an unlimited service.

Exactly, the whole marketing concept of 'Unlimited Data' is an issue...  I would rather they list the maximum amount of data that you could possibly use with an unthrottled connection and not throttling your connection...  

If this is for all services, and there is no way to pay to get around it, they're doing it to ensure speeds for people that aren't streaming video. Not that having full 1080p+ is really that benefitial on ypur phone screen outside of VR.

I'd switch to Verizon if it weren't for the fact that unlimited and two lines on ATT's business plan wasn't cheaper. Just because peak hours leave me yearning for my old 5Mbps connection that was shared between two desktops.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Meanwhile in India:

Reliance, one of the few network providers launched a brand called Jio (it means to remain alive)

After launching the service, Reliance gave us unrestricted 4G data plans. With FREE voice calls, and technically speaking, UNLIMITED access to 4G services all over India for FREE. This lasted for three months. After that, reliance extended this scheme for EVERYONE. Eventually reliance launched this scheme AGAIN and was available to EVERYONE. BUT, the scheme was renamed. At last, The govt intervened and the scheme was cancelled.

After that, you pay $10, to buy data and call plans very similar to the promotional offer that was given after Jio was launched.

The effect:

Other service providers gave perks that were entirely unimaginable.The most popular one was:

1 GB 4G data everyday, for 28 days. They charged Less than $6 for this

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Lol noobs. No data masterrace

xD I'm on T-Mobile

ft949.jpg

Waiting to be able to take advantage X16 LTE (1Gbps) modems in current gen phone SOC's

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

24 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Grow up and move on! 

I am on a grandfathered plan yet. Where I live there is VERY little GSM service providers. This whole area was CDMA rich when Verizon was an upstanding company to do business with. New cell providers would be IDIOTS to run anything except CDMA service here. I get damn good service pretty much anywhere I go, and where I don't get good service, GSM subscribers leave their cells in the car. THEY DON'T WORK.

I am NOT going to abandon my unlimited data plan that works just about everywhere I do for a limited data plan that doesn't and OH YEAH costs more. That's precisely the OPPOSITE of what I want.

The fuck kind of logic is this?

System specs:

So... you are expected to pay $50-$85 for a service that requires a lawyer to even know what it is you are actually getting?

44 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

There is literally nothing you can do now if you want 1080p on Verizon phones, no upgrade, fee, charge, or bribe to get it.

There is this thing called "WiFi" :P 

I mean, the vast majority of people are only limited to mobile data while commuting from wifi place 1 to wifi place 2 (probably even from PC1 to PC2 anyway). There will be those who rely more on mobile internet, but if this is honestly the cheapest US providers can do, then I guess you must think about it as cell phones in the 80s or something like that.