Verizon changes it's unlimited plan, ALL video is now throttled

shermantanker
18 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Carriers share Cell towers.   Still don't understand.

Doesn't seem like it. I live in the Palm Springs area, and it goes Verizon>ATT>Sprint>others. Depending on the city some are better then others, but overall verizon has the best coverage/speed. And most of the smaller guys run of sprint which is pretty crappy in 80% of the valley.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... you are expected to pay $50-$85 for a service that requires a lawyer to even know what it is you are actually getting?

There is this thing called "WiFi" :P 

I mean, the vast majority of people are only limited to mobile data while commuting from wifi place 1 to wifi place 2 (probably even from PC1 to PC2 anyway). There will be those who rely more on mobile internet, but if this is honestly the cheapest US providers can do, then I guess you must think about it as cell phones in the 80s or something like that.

So what do i do when my internet tops out a 2-3Mbps? Pay for a data capped satellite plan and a uncapped WiMAX plan simultaneously and swap ethernet connections at the modem when i want to watch a movie then swap again when i want to play a game online? What would I do about streaming?

would you do that?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

So what do i do when my internet tops out a 2-3Mbps? Pay for a data capped satellite plan and a uncapped WiMAX plan simultaneously and swap ethernet connections at the modem when i want to watch a movie then swap again when i want to play a game online? What would I do about streaming?

would you do that?

I don't think I understand your question.

16 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't think I understand your question.

what do you suggest I do, given my needs for internet, and the reality of my situation, one which is shared 30 million fold?

My needs: Reasonable throughput for upload and download, reasonable latency, and uncapped unrestricted service.

My Reality: Live in the country, existing telecom older than my father, 10 properties on one road spanning 5 miles

>???<

Right now cellular service is was the only solution. now i don't have one. perhaps those telling us whiners to stop complaining know something we do not...? 

What chaps my ass probably just as much is that they are giving us far less quality of a product, and charging us the same as it ever was.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

14 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

what do you suggest I do, given my needs for internet, and the reality of my situation, one which is shared 30 million fold?

My needs: Reasonable throughput for upload and download, reasonable latency, and uncapped unrestricted service.

My Reality: Live in the country, existing telecom older than my father, 10 properties on one road spanning 5 miles

>???<

Right now cellular service is was the only solution. now i don't have one. perhaps those telling us whiners to stop complaining know something we do not...? 

What chaps my ass probably just as much is that they are giving us far less quality of a product, and charging us the same as it ever was.

Move? Not trying to sound like a dick, but if you're living in an area without the proper utilities available that you require, and there are no plans for those utilities to become available in the future, the only option that I can see would be to move somewhere where you can get what you need. If you can't move for some reason (job/insurance/funds), then you're kinda shit out of luck, as the chances of an ISP upgrading their services in an area like you described are damn near nonexistent. Yeah, it's fucked up that Verizon is basically giving you and people like you the middle finger, but there's not a whole lot that can be done about that, since it's unlikely they care what you think/want/need. I won't tell you to stop complaining, cause if a large enough group of people also complain, and that complaining translates to reduced profits, something might change. But it might be a good idea to also look into either adapting your needs to fit your reality, or changing your reality to fit your needs.

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

Except that by reducing the speed accessible, you are ultimately limiting the amount of data that is accessible in a month... By my second best napkin math, in a 30 day month, they are limiting you to around 200 GB (if you use all of your data at the beginning of the month and run on the throttled connection 24/7 for the rest of the month) of total data usage by throttling back your connections after the first 10 to 20 GB of data usage.  

To be fair that's 2.4 Tb a year which is much better than most isp's. Also there was always a bandwidth cap. That being said this is the exact reason we need net neutrality. 

Just now, bobhays said:

To be fair that's 2.4 Tb a year which is much better than most isp's. Also there was always a bandwidth cap. That being said this is the exact reason we need net neutrality. 

I agree that it seems like quite a bit of data until you begin considering that society is moving into a more internet based realm with more cord-cutting and integrated home devices eating up data and bandwidth.  The other issue is that this flies directly in the face of Net Neutrality rules.  I think that Engadget has a nice little Op-Ed on that topic: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/22/verizon-video-throttling-net-neutrality-unfair-to-customers/ which is kind of funny considering that Verizon owns their parent company.  Personally, I would love to have a mobile ISP that provided the exact same quality and data speed that I get over my home lines so I could have a single ISP service and have less to deal with on integrating my home network or accessing my home network.

1 hour ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Carriers share Cell towers.   Still don't understand.

... No not always. If that was 100% true, everyone would have the same coverage map:
20150113165638_23e21000.png
(Im pretty sure this map is outdated now but regardless)

Personally Sprint, Tmobile, and AT&T are terrible at my house and job. Back when I was on Sprint for a while, I actually had 'Roaming' inside my own home! Friends on the other carriers all have issues when they come over.
I know for my job, a whole bunch of the residents in that town didn't want a Cell tower built "because its ugly" and the whole town is basicly a deadzone to everyone but Verizon based services. - and even then Verizon is spotty...

31 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Move? Not trying to sound like a dick, but if you're living in an area without the proper utilities available that you require, and there are no plans for those utilities to become available in the future, the only option that I can see would be to move somewhere where you can get what you need.

...move... I think you're used to living in 1 acre lots friend... when you've got this much land, you don't move. 

System specs:

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I agree that it seems like quite a bit of data until you begin considering that society is moving into a more internet based realm with more cord-cutting and integrated home devices eating up data and bandwidth.  The other issue is that this flies directly in the face of Net Neutrality rules.  I think that Engadget has a nice little Op-Ed on that topic: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/22/verizon-video-throttling-net-neutrality-unfair-to-customers/ which is kind of funny considering that Verizon owns their parent company.  Personally, I would love to have a mobile ISP that provided the exact same quality and data speed that I get over my home lines so I could have a single ISP service and have less to deal with on integrating my home network or accessing my home network.

For people who rely on mobile data at home, this is a huge blow. For others who just use it as mobile data it's not a big deal, BUT this is a slippery slope and I can't believe it's being allowed. 

Up until someone holds the FCC hostage you're not going to get anywhere. Pai is a piece of shit and he'll be replaced by someone as bad or worse.

Even Wheeler wasn't very useful.

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

>???<

Right now cellular service is was the only solution. now i don't have one.

What would I suggest to a person without cell coverage? What would I suggest to a base in Antarctica? What would I suggest NASA uses to communicate with its mission to Mars?

I don't know, to do the best they can with the means they have?

I still don't understand why you ask this to me.

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

perhaps those telling us whiners to stop complaining know something we do not...? 

Maybe they do, I don't know. You do seem to act as if I was one of them. Please quote me telling anyone to stop complaining.

Defensive much? o.O

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What would I suggest to a person without cell coverage? What would I suggest to a base in Antarctica? What would I suggest NASA uses to communicate with its mission to Mars?

I don't know, to do the best they can with the means they have?

I still don't understand why you ask this to me.

Maybe they do, I don't know. You do seem to act as if I was one of them. Please quote me telling anyone to stop complaining.

Defensive much? o.O

"there is this thing called wifi"

as if wifi is ubiquitous and a solution to the problem.

it isn't.

System specs:

Eh. I knew this was coming. I'm still switching off T-Mobile for Verizon, though. I'm not waiting for devices to support TMo's new band, and still be unable to walk down a hallway without losing service. I also need rural coverage. Anywhere I would want to stream more than 480p will have wifi, so, eh. It all depends on your situation. It sucks for the people that don't have any good hardline broadband providers, but Verizon can correctly argue they are not meant to, nor is their equipment designed to provide that level of service. While it may be a convenient excuse, this is within their rights to do.

I'm not seeing a lot of people calling out T-Mobile/Sprint/AT&T for their crap in here, as well. Every mobile provider does this now. There's no "vote with your wallet" option where you're not supporting throttling of video content. The "vote with your wallet" option is "go prepaid and lose pretty much every feature you give a fuck about". That simply isn't possible for the vast majority of their subscribers, and they are well aware of this. The people that care, get fucked, and the people that don't, still don't. 

The people calling for neutrality also need to understand that there is currently no one in Congress or anywhere near the FCC that is capable of writing a bill or a proposal for net neutrality properly. They are either old, decrepit politicians who last used a computer in 1969, or corrupt politicians with their pockets full of that sweet Comcast/Charter/AT&T/Verizon money. This is the status quo. Don't like it? Vote!

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Problem with WiFi as a solution is that you still need to have an ISP providing some kind of service to run the WiFi off of at home...  Personally, I know some people that have to have hardline service into their house to receive internet as the interior of their house doesn't receive any kind of wireless signal.

I'm really not even sure why people insist on calling YouTube or Netflix 480p video "DVD quality". That's insulting to actual DVD quality. 480p on Netflix or YouTube looks god awful. Hell, everything up to 720p60 on YouTube looks god awful.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, knightslugger said:

So?

A) It doesn't tell anyone to stop complaining,

B) It's not the end of the post. Too bad you stopped reading :P Like

I mean, the vast majority of people are only limited to mobile data while commuting from wifi place 1 to wifi place 2 (probably even from PC1 to PC2 anyway). There will be those who rely more on mobile internet, but if this is honestly the cheapest US providers can do, then I guess you must think about it as cell phones in the 80s or something like that.

Anyway, I won't spend the day here debating over a meaning I didn't convey. I didn't write what you don't want me to write, but if you insist on reading it anyway, well, have fun, whatever makes you happy. Although it seems to make you rather angry. Your choice either way.

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So?

A) It doesn't tell anyone to stop complaining,

B) It's not the end of the post. Too bad you stopped reading :P Like

Anyway, I won't spend the day here debating over a meaning I didn't convey. I didn't write what you don't want me to write, but if you insist on reading it anyway, well, have fun, whatever makes you happy. Although it seems to make you rather angry. Your choice either way.

Then why even say it? It projects an arrogant intonation, as if to say "WELL DUH!", silly smiley face be damned. It doesn't mean the inverse when you go on to state Wifi place 1 to wifi place 2. if place 1 is non-existent, what's the point o f talking about it? Look, maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's what it actually means to talk like that. This is pretty damn sensitive to others as well, not just myself. This is a very real struggle we face here in the REALLY rural America. Metropolis types like to think of rural areas of america as maybe the suburbs. If they don't, they sure as hell don't act like they do. Otherwise they'd be pushing for massive wireless fidelity and band freedom out here.

...instead we get bullshit like this Verizon crap.

System specs:

Well this is the stupidest thing..... Thanks to the government changing, they can get away with this.... GG USA. Land of the free indeed!

599c87811d20d_Landofthefreesomerestrictionsmayapply.jpg.a8a088ab0055838fb5c4a721273b9ba9.jpg

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

2 hours ago, S.Stephenson said:

This is why apple is the best the iPhone 7 is 720p so they'll be no difference.

Some say they have a seer who saw this coming and that's why the iPhone 7 has a 720p display in 2017.

Or, you know, they work closely with these providers and so they have some insight into what's coming.....

Nah, that's just crazy talk.

1 minute ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Well this is the stupidest thing..... Thanks to the government changing, they can get away with this.... GG USA. Land of the free indeed!

599c87811d20d_Landofthefreesomerestrictionsmayapply.jpg.a8a088ab0055838fb5c4a721273b9ba9.jpg

Methinks you don't understand the concept of freedom, given your misapplication of the term in this context.

16 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Or, you know, they work closely with these providers and so they have some insight into what's coming.....

Nah, that's just crazy talk.

Methinks you don't understand the concept of freedom, given your misapplication of the term in this context.

I don't think you get that what was posted was a meme... A JOKE! 

There are differences between when saying something and then joking about it lol

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I may just switch back to Tmobile.  In the last few years I've been on ATT, Tmobile, and currently Verizon.

Verizon has never been particularly impressive on  coverage or signal strength.  Even in major metro areas, no excuse to only have 2 bars .

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just leaving this here.....

This is what I get on my Unlimited data plan, I'm just waiting to watch 8K Netflix on my phone.

I have a fast home connection but I use my mobile data anyway just because I can.

IMG_1531.PNG

Well....this sucks, but I'm not switching off of my grandfathered Verizon plan. I get full 4G LTE driving to/from/at trackdays in the middle of nowhere, while everyone else I'm with on AT&T, T-Mo, etc have zero service. Verizon simply has coverage in the areas I go to fairly frequently, and the rest don't.