Intel Core-X Series: Full Specs Revealed

HKZeroFive

So it's been no secret that Intel's Skylake-X chips have gained the somewhat unsavoury reputation of being hot and power-hungry chips. The cause has been mainly attributed to a few factors such as the constant abuse of MCE by motherboards, the inclusion of AVX512 without a proper AVX offset implementation... and most infamously, the lack of soldering on all chips, even on their high-end Core i9 series.

So, what to expect with their higher core count CPUs? Lower clocks and higher TDPs is what any sensible person would say...

Cue leaked slide:

Intel-CoreX-Specs-1000x608.jpg

... and look at that, that's exactly the case.

With the upcoming arrival of AMD's own Threadripper CPUs which look extremely promising with all factors considered, the revelation of these specs aren't a good sign from the Blue Team, unless the "All Core Boost" is high enough to be a saving grace. Especially with what Intel is asking for in terms of price, combined with the mishaps of the X299 platform as a whole, it seems to me that these upcoming Core i9 CPUs aren't shaping to be that great in comparison to Threadripper. But time will tell.

Source: https://videocardz.com/71269/intel-core-x-series-full-specs-revealed

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I said it one time and it's still true in my opinion, from the release of core2 series intel stopped developing new tech, yes they perfected the cpu they got to the limits.. but still they didnt make anything ''realy'' new... and now people are starting to realize its true... its just sad that with the billions they gain with their overpriced cpus they just cant make anything new like amd.. and actually they never have...

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

saving grace

Their saving grace will be overclocking if you have the ability to cool it. Custom loop will be required but performance nuts will love it. Especially with AVX512.

EDIT: Hold on a base clock hike on the 14 core making it higher than the 12 core? What?... Something seems off.

Who gives a shit about the x299 disaster. CoffeeLake is coming to finally put Ryzen out of its misery 

5 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Who gives a shit about the x299 disaster

Its flawed in some areas but not a disaster.

5 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

CoffeeLake is coming to finally put Ryzen out of its misery 

Not really as that would be more of zen2 competitor but that's splitting hairs. My point is the above statement is entirely irrelevant in the context of this thread. Also no one should wish for Coffeelake to crush AMD... Just like no one should wish AMD to crush Intel. A monopoly is bad no matter who has it. Do you want to pay $1000 for an 8 core cpu again?! Do you want development to stagnate again? We the consumer benefit from competition so it is in all our best interest for both teams to do well.

Competition drives innovation

Wow if my predictions are right these chips at stock clocks will not be faster then the 1950x in multicore applications.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Its flawed in some areas but not a disaster.

Not really as that would be more of zen2 competitor but that's splitting hairs. My point is the above statement is entirely irrelevant in the context of this thread.

Some areas?

The 7640x?

And this:

More like every single area, LOL.

Edit: LMFAO @ Zen2 competitor. No it wouldn't. It'd compete DIRECTLY with Ryzen. It's launching next month.

CofefeLake is fake news!

AMD looks more appealing to me but its just speculation and flame war baiting atm.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Who gives a shit about the x299 disaster. CoffeeLake is coming to finally put Ryzen out of its misery 

CoffeLake will use 6c/12t CPUs and those will cost near 400€.

Meanwhile you can get 8c/16t Ryzen CPU for 300€.

And again Intel won't solder it, so there are going to be thermal issues.

But hey, single core performance will be better so everyone will be buying it ... even if by some miracle Intel release something great, AMD still have 1 card to play: lower price of existing Ryzen CPUs.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

20 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

The 7640x?

Do I agree with Kabylake-X? No. But apparently I'm told some overclockers like having fast cpus on the enthusiast platform. So each to their own their. I bet they sell more than you think.

20 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

And this:

I like HWU's game testing because they have an extensive game list and compare a lot of products but Steve fucked up there. Based on the photos it seems to be a foreign substance causing a short or an it acting as an insulator and prevented grounding. Unfortunate but not a design flaw.

Edit: LMFAO @ Zen2 competitor. No it wouldn't. It'd compete DIRECTLY with Ryzen. It's launching next month.

I didn't see you sneak that in. Is it now? Well would you like to bet on that? ;) 

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

CoffeLake will use 6c/12t CPUs and those will cost near 400€.

Meanwhile you can get 8c/16t Ryzen CPU for 300€.

And again Intel won't solder it, so there are going to be thermal issues.

But hey, single core performance will be better so everyone will be buying it ... even if by some miracle Intel release something great, AMD still have 1 card to play: lower price of existing Ryzen CPUs.

IIRC isn't CoffeeLake coming out with other chips in their lineup though?

If not, you are right then. I thought other variants besides the 6-core were releasing.

2 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

How is your CPU pin getting destroyed at a measly 1.25v not a design flaw?

1. Please quote or mention so the person gets notified.

2. Read what I just said, from the picture it looks like a foreign substance got on the contacts and caused the damage.

At the price the 7980XE is, it really needs to perform.

If the 1950X (Threadripper) is about 70-80% of what the 7980XE is in terms of perf, then you look at price. Then value for Threadripper looks mighty good.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

1. please quote or mention so the person gets notified.

2. Read what I just said, from the picture it looks like a foreign substance got on the contacts and caused the damage.

Haha. Mate, that's not a foreign substance. That's literally the chip pin burning out.

I cannot believe you are defending the x299 platform. Even after Linus` video.. Sad. So much for a movement. 

1 minute ago, Fonzie92 said:

IIRC isn't CoffeeLake coming out with other chips in their lineup though?

If not, you are right then. I thought other variants besides the 6-core were releasing.

Yeah there will also be 4 core CPUs in coffe lake line up.

I just mentioned 6 core, since that's pretty much what people will be after.

4c/4t

4c/8t

6c/12t

Not sure about i3 coffe lake with 2c/4t ... Ryzen did kick Intel down there at those dual core CPUs.

I only see 2 benefits from Intel side: better IMC and better IPC.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Yeah there will also be 4 core CPUs in coffe lake line up.

I just mentioned 6 core, since that's pretty much what people will be after.

4c/4t

4c/8t

6c/12t

Not sure about i3 coffe lake with 2c/4t ... Ryzen did kick Intel down there at those dual core CPUs.

I only see 2 benefits from Intel side: better IMC and better IPC.

Aww I see. Thanks

In that case, depends on price.. but Intel can kill off Ryzen's R3 pretty quickly if they price those right.

R5 1600 is still king imo

16 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Their saving grace will be overclocking if you have the ability to cool it. Custom loop will be required but performance nuts will love it. Especially with AVX512.

Only if you delid first or use sub-ambient cooling. With the toothpaste that Intel uses you're not overclocking on AVX workloads.

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Haha. Mate, that's not a foreign substance. That's literally the chip pin burning out.

I don't dispute the damage. I'm saying the most likely reason for the cause. As an electronic engineer I understand it probably better than you do. If this was a common phenomenon then other reviewers and our own LTT users would have come across the same issue.

I cannot believe you are defending the x299 platform

I'm not defending anything it has pros and cons, as does anything. I won't be buying it I'm more than satisfied with my 1700 at the price it cost. Amazing value and great performance IMO.

3 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Even after Linus` video

Yeah careful. While I do watch for the entertainment factor careful not to take him as gospel. Afterall he did say delidding was pointless and not worth it. He also botched a delid. Anyone who has done it properly knows you can gain around 20 degrees and more overclocking headroom.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I don't dispute the damage. I'm saying the most likely reason for the cause. As an electronic engineer I understand it probably better than you do. If this was a common phenomenon then other reviewers and our own LTT users would have come across the same issue.

I'm not defending anything it has pros and cons, as does anything. I won't be buying it I'm more than satisfied with my 1700 at the price it cost. Amazing value and great performance IMO.

Yeah careful. While I do watch for the entertainment factor careful not to take him as gospel. Afterall he did say delidding was pointless and not worth it. He also botched a delid. Anyone who has done it properly knows you can gain around 20 degrees and more overclocking headroom.

I respect your views but you need to name me one pro of the x299 platform lol

Aww I see. Thanks

In that case, depends on price.. but Intel can kill off Ryzen's R3 pretty quickly if they price those right.

R5 1600 is still king imo

Sure they can, but I can't imagine Intel releasing 4c/4t CPU for same price as Ryzen.

Even if they do, AMD will surely come back and lower their prices as well.

Right now i5 4c/4t CPUs are sitting at 170€, while Ryzen released 4c/4t unlocked CPUs for 110€.

So you save 60€, and you also have ability to OC.

Ryzen 5 1400 costs 154€ and have 4c/8t ... so 2x more threads and still lower price.

Intel would need to lower prices by a lot.

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

I respect your views but you need to name me one pro of the x299 platform

I couldn't think of one, will five be ok?

AVX512

Multicore Performance without sacrificing on single core

Quad Channel

CPU Raid

Overclocking headroom for enthusiasts

These clock speeds though...

How's that monolithic die working out for ya Intel?

Ye ole' train

i think the 16 core TR vs the 18 core I9 is going to be super interesting to see in benchmarks, if Intel cant go much beyond that base then AMD might be preformance king tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016