Intel Core-X Series: Full Specs Revealed

HKZeroFive

Actually attached the image so it loads.

It would appear the lowest SKU of both dies for Skylake-X are the weakest silicon. (Makes sense.) Thus the base clock being low enough to ensure operation.

I'm honestly curious what the upper limit on power draw is for the socket, as we should find out with the 18c part.

Intel-CoreX-Specs-1000x608.jpg

45 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

And for the people putting TR against the highest end ship from Intel, your insane. TR is 1K $ so its competition should be the nearest prices chip from Intel, SO the X7900 or X7920. 

All CPU comparisons are fair. To pin the 1950X against the the 7980XE because they're the top dogs is fair. To pin the 1950X against the 7960X because they've got the same core counts is fair. To pin it against the earliest Pentium that is still on sale, is fair.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

All CPU comparisons are fair. To pin the 1950X against the the 7980XE because they're the top dogs is fair. To pin the 1950X against the 7960X because they've got the same core counts is fair. To pin it against the earliest Pentium that is still on sale, is fair.

So can I use an 8086? They are all x86.

joking.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

So can I use an 8086? They are all x86.

joking.

Yes, absolutely. It's a fair comparison.

Not one that is very realistic, but fair.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yes, absolutely. It's a fair comparison.

Not one that is very realistic, but fair.

I honestly wish some would see how many magnitudes of time it would take to do a set of work between an 8086 vs 7980xe.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

I honestly wish some would see how many magnitudes of time it would take to do a set of work between an 8086 vs 7980xe.

I'm sure that any task that could run on the 8086 would stop scaling before requiring the power of a single 7980XE core @ 1GHz.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Fonzie92 said:

More like every single area, LOL.

Edit: LMFAO @ Zen2 competitor. No it wouldn't. It'd compete DIRECTLY with Ryzen. It's launching next month.

No, Coffee Lake is launching in December or January.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-14nm-coffee-lake-release-date

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

I'm really interested to see how they overclock. The base to boost clock gap is freaking huge and makes me wonder if even though they are unlocked you can truly overclock past the boost

43 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

sorry I meant stupid

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Just now, 3DOSH said:

sorry I meant stupid

It's not a stupid comparison either. Top dog vs top dog.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

It's not a stupid comparison either. Top dog vs top dog.

What is the point then ????? To see who has the biggest E-penis. With that logic car manufacturers should compare the best LAMBO to the Best Honda 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Just now, 3DOSH said:

What is the point then ????? To see who has the biggest E-penis. With that logic car manufacturers should compare the best LAMBO to the Best Honda 

To determine which processor is the better choice for different workloads that benefit from 16+ cores.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

To determine which processor is the better choice for different workloads that benefit from 16+ cores.

why not EPYC since money is not problem then, that has 32 cores ...

Just now, 3DOSH said:

why not EPYC since money is not problem then 

Intel has AVX512, and we don't know if EPYC is overclockable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Shouldn't matter snice its top dog vs top dog. Your words... 

Just now, 3DOSH said:

Shouldn't matter snice its top dog vs top dog. Your words... 

When comparing processors, you compare features and performance of said processors, and decide what is best based on use case, and what is best for you based on your use case and budget.

If I benefit from heavily AVX512, every single AMD offering goes down in value significantly, to the point that the 7900X becomes a much better choice than the 1950X.

If I benefit from overclocking and PCIe lane count higher than 44 (but not over 60), then I benefit from Threadripper, not EPYC.

If I benefit from 65+ PCIe lane count, then I benefit from EPYC.

If I benefit from high single core performance, more than any Zen chip can offer, and good multicore performance, I benefit from X299.

Each of those are comparisons that are grounded in the real world, and each offer a different answer as to which processor is the best for what I want and/or need.

Ignoring if EPYC will even be available for consumer purchase at time of launch.

But we seldom get that. We get point blank, poorly thought out, game meme benchmarks from 'reviewers' quick to declare and dismiss processors as being all around good or bad without giving full consideration to the strengths and weaknesses of both.

And btw, the 1950X and 7980XE are the top dogs of HEDT. They mix things from the server market and the consumer market. They're not 100% interchangeable with products from either market.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Intel's AVX512 wasn't enough to save them from EPYC's massive amounts of bandwidth, lol. AMD proved that AVX can be brute forced with enough ram bandwidth:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/21

Even on Intel ICC, it can still lift, lol. 

For our first shot with this benchmark, we used version 2.10 to be able to compare to our older data set. Version 2.12 seems to make better use of "Intel's compiler vectorization and auto-dispatch has improved performance for Intel processors supporting AVX instructions". So let's try again:

87250v212.png

The older Xeons see a perforance boost of about 25%. The improvement on the new Xeons is a lot lower: about 13-15%. Remarkable is that the new binary is slower on the EPYC 7601: about 4%. That simply begs for more investigation: but the deadline was too close. Nevertheless, three different FP tests all point in the same direction: the Zen FP unit might not have the highest "peak FLOPs" in theory, there is lots of FP code out there that runs best on EPYC.

I gotta say, the FP performance caught me off guard. Normally, AMD wins with Ints, but loses with floats. This time however, that role seems to have reversed, even with AVX being involved (remember, AVX512 can do twice the AVX 2 bit-ops/clock, and 4x AVX 1). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

Intel's AVX512 wasn't enough to save them from EPYC's massive amounts of bandwidth, lol. AMD proved that AVX can be brute forced with enough ram bandwidth:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/21

Even on Intel ICC, it can still lift

I gotta say, the FP performance caught me off guard. Normally, AMD wins with Ints, but loses with floats. This time however, that role seems to have reversed, even with AVX being involved (remember, AVX512 can do twice the AVX 2 bit-ops/clock, and 4x AVX 1). 

Leadeater already showed me that link. I did some math in that thread, and my conclusion: It takes AMD throwing bandwidth at the processor to get AVX performance to a good point, but it's not perfect or really exceptional. Once you get to the last two benchmarks, which are operating with DRAM, the numbers start aligning with core count and the offset. Quite frankly, it takes quite a bit to get the Zen architecture off its ass in AVX performance, and TR doesn't do it.

Which is why I personally hope EPYC is overclockable, as it'd stand to be a much better HEDT platform when AVX performance is where it should be, and the PCIe lane count is nice too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Leadeater already showed me that link. I did some math in that thread, and my conclusion: It takes AMD throwing bandwidth at the processor to get AVX performance to a good point, but it's not perfect or really exceptional. Once you get to the last two benchmarks, which are operating with DRAM, the numbers start aligning with core count and the offset. Quite frankly, it takes quite a bit to get the Zen architecture off its ass in AVX performance, and TR doesn't do it.

Which is why I personally hope EPYC is overclockable, as it'd stand to be a much better HEDT platform when AVX performance is where it should be, and the PCIe lane count is nice too.

The last bench is with Intel optimized code. The fact that it's brute forcing still held up, is nothing short of impressive in my eyes. Even factoring in core counts, they are still technically at a disadvantage by about 4x the bit-ops/clock. It should also be noted that EPYC was tested at 2400mhz ram, which impacts the IF quite a bit. If AMD can improve upon their memory support, and allow for faster ram (even if it's only 2666mhz over 2400), you will see a slight improvement from that as well, especially considering this is 8 channels we are talking about. Peak theoretical memory bandwidth of DDR4 2400 in Octa-channel is 153.6GB/s. Peak theoretical memory bandwidth of DDR4 2666 in Octa-channel is 170.6GB/s. That's a difference of almost exactly 10% bandwidth. Considering how well AVX scales with bandwidth, I'd say it would be enough to improve the numbers. I should also point out, this is per socket. Having 2 CPU's would double this. 

The Zen architecture as a whole, would be far scarier if it had a more potent IMC. I sincerely hope Zen 2.0 delivers exactly in that respect. 

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

The Zen architecture as a whole, would be far scarier if it had a more potent IMC. I sincerely hope Zen 2.0 delivers exactly in that respect

Same. It'd be a damn near Intel killer if AMD focused only on the IMC and upping the clocking potential.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Has Intel ever published the specs on the LGA pins?  I looked for 15 minutes but couldn't find anything. If I were to estimate each contact to be equivalent to 24awg wire, that's maybe 3A max per contact, or about 600A total for the package @ 2V VCCin?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

14 hours ago, Darel321 said:

I said it one time and it's still true in my opinion, from the release of core2 series intel stopped developing new tech, yes they perfected the cpu they got to the limits.. but still they didnt make anything ''realy'' new... and now people are starting to realize its true... its just sad that with the billions they gain with their overpriced cpus they just cant make anything new like amd.. and actually they never have...

If you ask me nehalem and Sandy bridge were pretty big changes. At this point there really isn't a big space to innovate in the CPU ipc department, really. What amd did with Ryzen was just catch up with Intel on the ipc department. They adopted a lot of things Intel did ages ago (micro op cache for example, that was introduced on Sandy bridge)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

13 hours ago, MageTank said:

[snip]

I'm only familiar with AVX2 workloads comparable to Prime95 (so could include things like Linpack). Based on my observations to date, for larger working sets (big FFT size) Intel systems can often be ram bandwidth limited. It depends on how much total CPU demand there is to available ram bandwidth, with cache optimisation thrown in as an extra variable. The extra potential of AVX512 may be limited in potential due to this. Roughly speaking I'm working on needing about double the Ryzen cores as Intel ones to equalise, but if ram bandwidth is limiting, look at ram bandwidth!

For smaller size workloads then peak performance can be met.

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Has Intel ever published the specs on the LGA pins?  I looked for 15 minutes but couldn't find anything. If I were to estimate each contact to be equivalent to 24awg wire, that's maybe 3A max per contact, or about 600A total for the package @ 2V VCCin?

I wonder if you can estimate this. Look up the socket total max current, and divide by the number of power pin pairs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I'm only familiar with AVX2 workloads comparable to Prime95 (so could include things like Linpack). Based on my observations to date, for larger working sets (big FFT size) Intel systems can often be ram bandwidth limited. It depends on how much total CPU demand there is to available ram bandwidth, with cache optimisation thrown in as an extra variable. The extra potential of AVX512 may be limited in potential due to this. Roughly speaking I'm working on needing about double the Ryzen cores as Intel ones to equalise, but if ram bandwidth is limiting, look at ram bandwidth!

For smaller size workloads then peak performance can be met.

I wonder if you can estimate this. Look up the socket total max current, and divide by the number of power pin pairs.

They most certainly were ram bandwidth limited. They were using hexa-channel memory at 2666 (127.9GB/s x 1 CPU) vs EPYC's octa-channel 2400 (153.6GB/s x 1 CPU).

It should also be noted that Skylake Purely's per-core memory bandwidth was extremely weak, at 12GB/s, vs even Broadwell's 18.5GB/s bandwidth per-core. AMD delivered a massive 27GB/s per core, but suffered a limit of 30GB/s for each quad core CCX. No idea how that will impact specific workloads. 

68ytOZL.png