Intel undermines AMD's new EPYC Server Lineup performance in its Official Xeon SP Slide Deck

10 hours ago, Jito463 said:

My boss at work is always telling business customers that they should never buy an AMD laptop, because they're prone to overheating and frying the motherboard.  Why does he tell them that?  Because his wife has (somehow) fried multiple AMD laptops, so he believes they'll all overheat and fry.  I've tried to convince him that his information is inaccurate, but he refuses to believe me.  I've finally resorted to just rolling my eyes and biting my tongue.

Personal experience trumps real data everyday of the week I'm afraid.  This is why the human race is messed up, internet memes and placebo mean that people will cling to homeopathy and ancient Chinese medicine over CT, MRI and the latest Chemotherapy.    If your bosses customers aren't wise enough to get second opinions then I'm afraid there is little you can do to help them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Jeez this reads like some kind of rant a psychotic ex would type. Someone got your monopoly in a twist Intel?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

On 13/07/2017 at 0:38 AM, FinnHallqvist said:

15-1080.3209761711.png

I'm quite impressed that Intel are going to be selling their 8c Xeons at $499. Good on them. This is exactly why we need competition.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

I'm quite impressed that Intel are going to be selling their 8c Xeons at $499. Good on them. This is exactly why we need competition.

LOL what? 

https://ark.intel.com/products/120493/Intel-Xeon-Gold-6134-Processor-24_75M-Cache-3_20-GHz

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's a joke Joyce :D I just found it hilarious that their $2200 CPU is being compared to a $499 one. It says it all really.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Just now, Carclis said:

It's a joke Joyce :D I just found it hilarious that their $2200 CPU is being compared to a $499 one. It says it all really.

Add a /s then :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Add a /s then :P

Where's the fun in that then?

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

AMD right now

"Don't respond, let this slide."

The actual response kind of makes you feel embarrassed for Intel:

References are scattered throughout the presentation. But even without the direct references to the slides, just comparing the tone of the slides vs this presentation... it's like the reversal of the "moar coars" stickman meme.

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The actual response kind of makes you feel embarrassed for Intel:

References are scattered throughout the presentation. But even without the direct references to the slides, just comparing the tone of the slides vs this presentation... it's like the reversal of the "moar coars" stickman meme.

I want to watch that but can't now..in work

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

AMD right now

"Don't respond, let this slide."

They did respond, a month before Intel's slides at the June event :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

44 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

They did respond, a month before Intel's slides at the June event :P

8 minutes and 25 sec in:

breaking moore's law is what we did with infinity fabric.

Seriously, it's sad to see Intel. They are going back to their scummy practices because they are being outperformed big time in almost every single measurement. All consumers should clap their hands. More enterprise sales for AMD, means more R&D, which means better AMD CPU's AND GPU's. That means better products and lower prices. And why would any consumer be against that?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

More enterprise sales for AMD, means more R&D, which means better AMD CPU's AND GPU's. That means better products and lower prices. And why would any consumer be against that?

I rarely agree with you, but this time I do.   Competition is absolutely necessary, good competition is even better again. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

I rarely agree with you, but this time I do.   Competition is absolutely necessary, good competition is even better again. 

Exactly. My criticism of Nvidia and Intel is often misunderstood as AMD fanboyism, rather than the pro consumerism/competition it's meant to represent. All I want is the most for my money and not being vendor locked in. In my mind, all consumers should strive for that. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Exactly. My criticism of Nvidia and Intel is often misunderstood as AMD fanboyism, rather than the pro consumerism/competition it's meant to represent. All I want is the most for my money and not being vendor locked in. In my mind, all consumers should strive for that. 

I don't mind lock in to a certain degree.  If AMD had polished freesync up a bit and locked it to their cards I would be fine with that.  That's how a company ensures they have a certain amount of return custom for their investment. 

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't mind lock in to a certain degree.  If AMD had polished freesync up a bit and locked it to their cards I would be fine with that.  That's how a company ensures they have a certain amount of return custom for their investment. 

It is, but it comes as a consequence for the consumer. Adaptive Sync really should be enough for AMD and NVidia to make their implementations. I don't see any reason why we can't just have 1 standard. No one would accept you speakers/headphones only working on certain brands of motherboard/sound cards or certain keyboards only working with certain motherboards. So why monitors? Probably the single most expensive piece of hardware people buy?

Just now, Notional said:

It is, but it comes as a consequence for the consumer. Adaptive Sync really should be enough for AMD and NVidia to make their implementations. I don't see any reason why we can't just have 1 standard. No one would accept you speakers/headphones only working on certain brands of motherboard/sound cards or certain keyboards only working with certain motherboards. So why monitors? Probably the single most expensive piece of hardware people buy?

scales of investment.  There are no other options for a GPU and monitor, while you can buy any one of 100's of mobo,  sound card and headphone combinations.  So there comes a point when a market has so much competition that diverging from a standard is going to lose you sales, while simply making a better product will ensure more sales.   sync technology has only got two players, so diverging from standards doesn't alienate you from the competition becasue you only had one to begin with. 

6 hours ago, Notional said:

Agreed. I have a higher appreciation for AMD simply because I don't like having to pay the "Intel Tax", but what I really want is new, good tech & cheap prices for everyone. The better the tech gets, the more awesome new things people can do. Because of the CPU wars in the late 90s through mid-2000s, Smart Phones became viable. Tablets became viable. All sorts of fun things because the competition was so fierce it drove innovation at a massive rate. I want to see what comes next.

Just no sharks with freakin' laser beams.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:03 AM, Jito463 said:

My boss at work is always telling business customers that they should never buy an AMD laptop, because they're prone to overheating and frying the motherboard.  Why does he tell them that?  Because his wife has (somehow) fried multiple AMD laptops, so he believes they'll all overheat and fry.  I've tried to convince him that his information is inaccurate, but he refuses to believe me.  I've finally resorted to just rolling my eyes and biting my tongue.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:22 AM, WereCat said:

I can't even start talking about this topic with one of my friends. Even if I can prove to him the good things about AMD he always just laughs it off saying that it doesn't matter because it is AMD and he would feel embarrassed for owning an AMD CPU...

He is the only techie friend so this is pissing me off a lot.

I know the feels.  One of the couple of computer stores here in my college town will not sell AMD.  GPU or CPU.

Their reasoning?  "AMD just sucks."
Granted this was in early 2014, when the 290/290X were trading blows with the 780/780 Ti.  
Then they said no AMD CPUs cause Intel is always better always.  

Then I have one coworker who straight up said, "AMD has never had a better product than Intel, and they've never done anything super serious in the market, just following Intel."
Um... it's still called AMD64 for a reason.  Also, the first desktop-based dual core.

Granted, we were discussing this right before Ryzen 7 released, but to say AMD never did anything for the market is just... either ignorance or blind fanboyism.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

It's so bad it's funny, just look at slide 48.

"AMD Zen Architecture (whatever)"
Source: WCCFtech

Really? Out of all the tech reviewers out there they decided to choose an article of WCCFtech and use it as a source...

Intel, take a shovel and join Ubisoft and EA, seriously...

edit: i also don't understand slide 61, have they ever heard of VMotion? It's from VMware and that name is on that very slide so i assume they do.

If you don't know what it does, one of the things it allows is to migrate a VM from 1 physical server to another one without shutting the VM down as long as it has the same CPU. And it doesn't matter if it's Intel or AMD, same CPU? Migration works.

Unless they allow the migration of a VM from a server with a different CPU architecture than the target server, i don't see the point of it...

And with AMD servers being basically non-existent anymore i don't think AMD needs it right now. In the future it can be nice but for now, pointless.

Also if you have a decent IT infrastructure you should be able to migrate VM's by shutting them down, transferring them and powering them back on without any downtime for the company. Not ideal but should be possible :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

so far i have found two ASROCK, two HITACHI and two DDN STORAGE at this graph. what a joke. this is a company that I actually encourage people to invest their money on. Despite the quarterly positive numbers, I'm starting to think that was a bad call.

21-1080.2528077803.png