RED Weapon Unboxing

Now I really want to see if Linus are so committed to buy expensive tech for this series, that he will buy a Riverbed SteelHead DX8000 B010 WAN Optimizer, just to make a video saying the more specialized the tech gets, the more expensive it gets.

Current Specs: CPU: Intel I5 4690K, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR, RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: 3x Seagate Constellation ES 500GB in RAID 5, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Case: Antec LanBoy Air Blue/Black. Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(2012), Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 1.

Most entertaining video in a while :)

4 minutes ago, Pyro12 said:

Kind of a dumb question, but why the switch from 4K to 8K, and what is so special about this camera ?

A indept look at the technology of this camera that shoots pretty much all of the movies today would be nice.

Also, i hope linus recovered after the video, that was an "aneurysm level" of hypertension if I ever saw one !

idk why Linus bought it, but basically the camera shoot so much data (talking multiple gigabytes/second), that you can recover so much in post, and even change settings like your shutter speed, iso, and iris in post. basically letting you reshoot a scene with different settings. 

6 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

They both have their benefits: a PO back can recover several stops of light and color in post; even their starter back the IQ1 40 (which I got to demo some time ago) can recover in almost impossible scenarios, and thats on a god damn ccd sensor. 

But RED takes that farther with RED Raw, which can almost re-shoot a scene with how much data is captured. 

But imo Id rather have the phase one, especially when there's rumors they'll start shooting video in the next line :0

Ummm. Help me out here a bit. 

I know what raw is, its super high detailed etc but a shot is a shot. You cannot changed the angle or the content of the shot just grade it etc which for a movie I can understand but for LTT. 

Not to be a hater, I love their content but they are not planning on shooting Avatar 2 are they? 

Linus... so much for that Lambo...

but seriously... All the feels bro.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Holy shit those cameras cost an insane amount of money! I have a Nikon D60 DSLR camera and the camera built into my Samsung Galaxy J7.

So, naturally, I went onto RED's website and I built myself a Scarlet 5K camera setup, complete with a RED Rocket X Transcoding card and other bullshit accessories. The damage is just absolutely insane.

http://www.red.com/saved_builds/pyemtrsv

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

10 minutes ago, The Falcon said:

Ummm. Help me out here a bit. 

I know what raw is, its super high detailed etc but a shot is a shot. You cannot changed the angle or the content of the shot just grade it etc which for a movie I can understand but for LTT. 

Not to be a hater, I love their content but they are not planning on shooting Avatar 2 are they? 

well not totally re-shoot a scene with different angles no. what i mean is RED cameras shoot so much data that you can change just about all of your settings in post like your shutterspeed for more or less blur, iso for noise and overall light gain. cant remember if it can do aperture/iris in post since with a lot of the cine lenses you'd use, the aperture is manually controlled rather than analog through the camera, but if it can then you'd be able to adjust your overall depth of field as well. 

just gives you more control over your exposure so if say you accidentally have too much or too little light, then you can save it in post rather than having to adjust your lighting then reshoot the scene

Just now, righteousbae said:

well not totally re-shoot a scene with different angles no. what i mean is RED cameras shoot so much data that you can change just about all of your settings in post like your shutterspeed for more or less blur, iso for noise and overall light gain. cant remember if it can do aperture/iris in post since with a lot of the cine lenses you'd use, the aperture is manually controlled rather than analog through the camera, but if it can then you'd be able to adjust your overall depth of field as well. 

just gives you more control over your exposure so if say you accidentally have too much or too little light, then you can save it in post rather than having to adjust your lighting then reshoot the scene

okay but why has no one been able to compete with RED? I am sure Sony or BlackMagic could make something to compete with RED and bring down the price. 

The only reason RED rapes your left ear is because they the only ones selling what you want right

Just now, The Falcon said:

okay but why has no one been able to compete with RED? I am sure Sony or BlackMagic could make something to compete with RED and bring down the price. 

The only reason RED rapes your left ear is because they the only ones selling what you want right

its mainly due to the red raw format (which alows you to adjust everything in post) is a proprietary format much like EVERYTHING they sell. Plus the sensors they use in the cameras are their own and only theirs (with the exception of the one panavision camera that red contributed on), so only red cameras have red sensors that take in all that data. Wouldnt make sense to sell off the piece of tech that makes your gear better to all of your competitors who could undercut you by selling it at a fraction of the price. 

9 minutes ago, The Falcon said:

I know Canon is working on their prototype 8KHD camera still...camera / video camera development is quite difficult. The sensors cost a lot to make / R&D on the technology it uses. I also think the major wall most cameras face these days is performance. Crunching all of that 8KHD or high res still images take a lot of processing power. Sadly for cameras, they have to be able to run without active cooling while recording (no fan noise in recorded audio). That's a hard requirement...Oh, and Canon / Sony actually have a lot of ports on the base camera...that's more hardware to design (You have actual XLR on the base camera...).

But yeah, we'll see competition soon enough. I predict Sony will be next alongside Canon for 8KHD.

A lot of major companies go for Arri though (Though this is changing), which makes the Red cameras look cheap. haha.

Though I wonder how lens manufacturers feel about having their mount used...like Canon spends the R&D to make their lenses for their cameras but a lot of camera brands make a mount to use their lenses.

13 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I know Canon is working on their prototype 8KHD camera still...camera / video camera development is quite difficult. The sensors cost a lot to make / R&D on the technology it uses. I also think the major wall most cameras face these days is performance. Crunching all of that 8KHD or high res still images take a lot of processing power. Sadly for cameras, they have to be able to run without active cooling while recording (no fan noise in recorded audio). That's a hard requirement...Oh, and Canon / Sony actually have a lot of ports on the base camera...that's more hardware to design (You have actual XLR on the base camera...).

But yeah, we'll see competition soon enough. I predict Sony will be next alongside Canon for 8KHD.

A lot of major companies go for Arri though (Though this is changing), which makes the Red cameras look cheap. haha.

Though I wonder how lens manufacturers feel about having their mount used...like Canon spends the R&D to make their lenses for their cameras but a lot of camera brands make a mount to use their lenses.

Interesting thanks for the discussion 

Entertaining video, i love it when linus thinks something is to expensive to slam/drop it on a table.

The only thing that would personaly make me even more mad is that the standard waranty on those red cameras is only 2 year, i wonder if they went with the 2 year extended warranty plan for the cheap cheap price of 2850 dollars per camera.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy RED cameras & accessories: http://geni.us/iKUzO

Buy cheaper cameras on Amazon: http://geni.us/TABP

We just spent an astronomical amount of money on some RED cameras. Watch Linus flip out as he figures out just how much they actually cost...

This may be the only LMG video I have ever enjoyed watching, and only because I'm laughing so hard at the imbecile(s) at Linus Media Group who came up with the moronic idea of investing in the RED 8K cameras.  For $120,000, I'd get a nice Canon or Sony cinema camera (i.e. the new Canon C700 or Sony PMW F55, or even just a 4-6K RED camera and have money left over to spend on additional accessories like a nice drone to carry a heavy payload of a camera, a good mechanical steadicam, perhaps the new DJI Ronin Mark II plus a few other items.  And I will likely even have money left over to travel to different locations to actually film in the real world and not waste $120,000 to film tech videos for YouTube.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, The Falcon said:

I get almost every movie on earth is shot on RED cameras, I get that it is 8K but soon cannon, sony etc will have 8K sensors right. 

I guess you haven't heard of ARRI or Panavision.

48 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

change settings like your shutter speed, iso, and iris in post.

WTF are you talking about?  I admit shooting videos in RAW is good but I don't think you can change shutter speed and DOF in post.  Shutter speed defines the motion blur inherent in captured video and DOF is a lens issue, the sensor in the RED cameras are not the same sensors in a Lytro camera.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

As entertaining as that was I'm rather disappointed, I've waited all this time for some sort of attempt at justifying spending (wasting?) such a ludicrous amount of money yet Linus comes along and just adds to the argument of why it was so stupid. So was this not Linus's idea then? Brandon some how managed to fool him into wasting a couple hundred grand so that he has a new toy to play with?

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I guess you haven't heard of ARRI or Panavision.

WTF are you talking about?  I admit shooting videos in RAW is good but I don't think you can change shutter speed and DOF in post.  Shutter speed defines the motion blur inherent in captured video and DOF is a lens issue, the sensor in the RED cameras are not the same sensors in a Lytro camera.

I corrected myself on the iris part in a different comment up in the thread. 

A bud of mine uses a few reds in a studio and from what he's told me, you're able to adjust most of the settings in post, since the sensors record a gargantuan amount of data, in the realms of gigabytes per second. It records settings much in the same way a PO sensor is able to take in enough data with their raw format to recover so much in post. 

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

Finally an enjoyable video from Linus in the last 2 years.

Also Linus, I think you're regretting hiring Brandon now.

hehehe

not regretting hiring regretting letting credit card out of sight

14 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

I corrected myself on the iris part in a different comment up in the thread. 

A bud of mine uses a few reds in a studio and from what he's told me, you're able to adjust most of the settings in post, since the sensors record a gargantuan amount of data, in the realms of gigabytes per second. It records settings much in the same way a PO sensor is able to take in enough data with their raw format to recover so much in post. 

Filming in RAW has a lot of advantages, however:

• Motion blur that is captured due to filming at # framerate cannot be changed.  You can however convert video recorded at X frame rate to another frame rate.  This is not due to any video being recorded in RAW, it can be done with almost any video recorded regardless of file format.
  • Neither can DOF that is due to sensor size and lens (mainly aperture).
  • As for ISO, if the sensor has enough dynamic range then just adjusting exposure or highlights/shadows in post can make the image appear brighter or darker.
  • What you can do to change them in post is basically just adding digital "enhancements".  Like using the unsharp mask or sharpening filter in Photoshop to make an image appear sharper.  Apply too much and it looks bad.  That can be done with almost any camera that records in high enough bit rate, even if the filming was not done in RAW.

In Premiere, when editing video shot in RED RAW, what you adjust are the metadata info.  But you cannot change shutter speed or DOF.

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Filming in RAW has a lot of advantages, however:

• Motion blur that is captured due to filming at # framerate cannot be changed.  You can however convert video recorded at X frame rate to another frame rate.  This is not due to any video being recorded in RAW, it can be done with almost any video recorded regardless of file format.
  • Neither can DOF that is due to sensor size and lens (mainly aperture).
  • As for ISO, if the sensor has enough dynamic range then just adjusting exposure or highlights/shadows in post can make the image appear brighter or darker.
  • What you can do to change them in post is basically just adding digital "enhancements".  Like using the unsharp mask or sharpening filter in Photoshop to make an image appear sharper.  Apply too much and it looks bad.  That can be done with almost any camera that records in high enough bit rate, even if the filming was not done in RAW.

In Premiere, when editing video shot in RED RAW, what you adjust are the metadata info.  But you cannot change shutter speed or DOF.

Most of the metadata edits im referring to are done in RED's software for their cameras, Redcine-X pro, which is what lets you do all the edits to the metadata like I was talking about earlier, because the software is made to get the most out of the raw file, much like Hasselblad with their 3fraw in phocus, and PO with IIQ files in capture one

5 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

Most of the metadata edits im referring to are done in RED's software for their cameras, Redcine-X pro, which is what lets you do all the edits to the metadata like I was talking about earlier, because the software is made to get the most out of the raw file, much like Hasselblad with their 3fraw in phocus, and PO with IIQ files in capture one

You're talking about changing the settings for the cameras before filming?

Because as I said, frame rates and DOF are two things that are extremely difficult if not impossible to change in a video after it has been filmed.  Due to the laws of physics.

The motion blur of a film shot in 24fps and the motion blur of something shot in 120fps look different from each other.  It's possible to convert a 120fps video to mimic the motion blur of a 24fps video in post production by combining frames.  But it's impossible, as far as I am aware, to convert the motion blur of a 24fps video to mimic the motion blur of a 120fps video.

Now, in full 8k video, watch as Linus goes full Super Saiyan and descends upon Red, as they are smote with the fury of his wrath. In 8k.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You're talking about changing the settings for the cameras before filming?

Because as I said, frame rates and DOF are two things that are very difficult if not impossible to change in a video after it has been filmed.  Due to the laws of physics.

well no, what i mean to say is that the software red provides is made to get the most out of red raw, since the software is made to use all the data on the file. adobe premier might be able to edit red raw files, but it can't use all the features used in redcine since it's not optimized to work with red raw. 

much in the same way photo software works for different proprietary formats like I said before; you can edit a PO IIQ file in LR or camera raw, but you won't get the most out of the file as you would in C1. 

as for the shutter speed thing, shutter speed takes a role in how long the sensor is exposed; now idk what blackmagic (slight pun intended) goes into red sensors to do so, but if a sensor is strong enough, its possible to virtualize the different outcomes of different shutter speeds to apply different results in a recording. now this isnt to say you can set your shutter to 1/4 or 1/2 a second and set it to 1/500 in post because A: your histogram will only go so many stops (the measurment for light values on cameras) either direction; i dont know how many stops red sensors go but i doubt it'd great enough to recover that much of a shot, and B: shutter is more to do with exposure, as it does play a role in your exposure. 

the main advantage of raw files is being able to salvage an exposure in post. but i could just be uber wrong and the exposure settings are just redcine's way of illustrating exposure changes. 

2 hours ago, Hodor said:

I thought you guys had the cameras for a while now? Brendan complained about some issues on Twitter a while ago.

Yep we've been using them for a few months at this point - as Linus said in the video we had to wait MONTHS for the audio modules...

2 hours ago, The Falcon said:

Can someone explain to me why though? 

I get almost every movie on earth is shot on RED cameras, I get that it is 8K but soon cannon, sony etc will have 8K sensors right. 

I honestly can not tell the difference in sharpness at 4K between his videos from last year and this year. 

What is the value of you spending $200k on a RED camera? 

Because they don't make only Youtube videos, they also shoot ads for various companies, promotional content, various things.

If the better cameras attract more such customers or helps retain existing customers, it could be a good investment (only time would tell).

7 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

well no, what i mean to say is that the software red provides is made to get the most out of red raw, since the software is made to use all the data on the file. adobe premier might be able to edit red raw files, but it can't use all the features used in redcine since it's not optimized to work with red raw. 

much in the same way photo software works for different proprietary formats like I said before; you can edit a PO IIQ file in LR or camera raw, but you won't get the most out of the file as you would in C1. 

as for the shutter speed thing, shutter speed takes a role in how long the sensor is exposed; now idk what blackmagic (slight pun intended) goes into red sensors to do so, but if a sensor is strong enough, its possible to virtualize the different outcomes of different shutter speeds to apply different results in a recording. now this isnt to say you can set your shutter to 1/4 or 1/2 a second and set it to 1/500 in post because A: your histogram will only go so many stops (the measurment for light values on cameras) either direction; i dont know how many stops red sensors go but i doubt it'd great enough to recover that much of a shot, and B: shutter is more to do with exposure, as it does play a role in your exposure. 

the main advantage of raw files is being able to salvage an exposure in post. but i could just be uber wrong and the exposure settings are just redcine's way of illustrating exposure changes. 

The latest versions of Premiere CC has been updated to work with RED RAW, I was just testing out the workflow for RED cameras in Premiere a couple of months ago.

And I just installed RedCine X temporarily at my home computer to check out what's inside.  There's no option to change the frame rate or shutter speed or DOF of video that's already filmed.  And I see very similar options to change the metadata of a RED RAW file in RedCine as they also exist in Premiere.

What you're talking about is adjusting exposure, not changing frame rates or shutter speeds or DOF.  Changing exposure of a scene in video in post is as easy as adjusting exposure of a photo in post.

And as I said earlier, shutter speed is part of what defines motion blur, along with frame rate.  24fps video using a 180 degree shutter rule has a different motion blur than 24fps video with a 360 degree or 10 degree shutter.