RED Weapon Unboxing

I don't get people talking about the why, isn't because they can enough? Like Linus said, it's fucking fun, I would love to be able to have and play with this kind of tech and their job is exactly to do that. Sure, this doesn't make much sense on the benefits per dolar scale, but, this has a lot of value on the video production part, I bet they will make 5 to 8 videos thru the next year or two exploring the workflow and new upgrades to the office and the Red will be a part of it.

2 minutes ago, Kresnik-02 said:

I don't get people talking about the why, isn't because they can enough? Like Linus said, it's fucking fun, I would love to be able to have and play with this kind of tech and their job is exactly to do that. Sure, this doesn't make much sense on the benefits per dolar scale, but, this has a lot of value on the video production part, I bet they will make 5 to 8 videos thru the next year or two exploring the workflow and new upgrades to the office and the Red will be a part of it.

If it were a filmmaker like James Cameron who purchased these cameras and raved about it like Linus is doing, we'd have no problem.  At least we'd actually get to hear from someone who will utilize the cameras to their full potential.  Linus is not even an amateur filmmaker, he makes tech videos for YouTube.  Whatever he will have to say about the camera after using them for however long he uses them will be meaningless since he has no background in film making and his target audience is mainly computer/tech kids.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

If it were a filmmaker like James Cameron who purchased these cameras and raved about it like Linus is doing, we'd have no problem.  At least we'd actually get to hear from someone who will utilize the cameras to their full potential.  Linus is not even an amateur filmmaker, he makes tech videos for YouTube.  Whatever he will have to say about the camera after using them for however long he uses them will be meaningless since he has no background in film making and his target audience is mainly computer/tech kids.

You are really that pissed about that? Isn't obvious that this is just him playing a character? He paid for the fucking thing, he knew what he was getting way before the thing arrived, he just thought it was a good idea to play like he hated paying for it. He knows that the Canon, Pana or even  Blackmagic line is way better for the kind of content they do, but, they have the money to play with this and they want, isn't that enough? It's clear they aren't any kind of high end pros on video production, just look at the color correction since the red camera was introduced.

The thing is that this camera helps then create content, I bet that because of this they will create 5~8 videos over the next year or two about working out the workflow and stuff like that and that is where this will pay off, because this is the hardest thing for the channel, to create over 10 videos per week.

6 minutes ago, Kresnik-02 said:

You are really that pissed about that? Isn't obvious that this is just him playing a character? He paid for the fucking thing, he knew what he was getting way before the thing arrived, he just thought it was a good idea to play like he hated paying for it. He knows that the Canon, Pana or even  Blackmagic line is way better for the kind of content they do, but, they have the money to play with this and they want, isn't that enough? It's clear they aren't any kind of high end pros on video production, just look at the color correction since the red camera was introduced.

The thing is that this camera helps then create content, I bet that because of this they will create 5~8 videos over the next year or two about working out the workflow and stuff like that and that is where this will pay off, because this is the hardest thing for the channel, to create over 10 videos per week.

I'm simply pointing out how much of an imbecile he and his team are.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

How many youtubers have a setup like that, besides mkbhd?

It's a bit more than a camera, it's prestige too. Of course is stupidity expensive!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

32 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I'm simply pointing out how much of an imbecile he and his team are.

Well, you want to go that route, have fun.

I get its entertainment and all (good rage acting albeit bordering on murderous lunacy). But its strange. Does it really even pay for itself in a short enough period of time to be relevant... I don't want to see any numbers, I just want to hear a yes or a no (no followed by a reason why LTT got it).

As to what Linus said on page to "Why do we do this" - passion is great, but it has to make some financial sense somehow. It can't just be "let's spend a ton of money for no reason, where in a few years we can spend a ton less to get the same result".

~confuded

I just want to say thank you to the floatplane people for not spoiling this really great video to everyone. That is all.

Panavision DXL 8K 60fps ENOUGH SAID. He wasted over 100.000 Dollars for a compandy that charges 1.5k for a battery pack.
Any rational person would think about the business model of RED before buying stuff from them.

Panavision also comes with standard adapters (unlike the one linus bought for 2k just to get audio working) so audio and everything works with standard hardware and not like that joke RED. (They were the first to do 8k so they just charged whatever they wanted)
You can see in the image it comes with most accessories AND 60fps!

Full review here: https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/panavision-millennium-dxl-camera/

panavision-millenium-dxl-camera-cine-gear-2016-768x432.jpg

To all those saying "because it's fun, awesome, and because we can", including Linus, you can't just use those words to try and justify unnecessarily spending close to quarter of a mill. Whole room watercooling and the desk PC were orders of magnitude cheaper and will likely result in greater income (especially compared to the investment cost).

And to those saying that if they've got the money why not spend it, I highly doubt they just had a couple hundred grand laying about. Sure they could be bringing in that per month (I doubt it but if someone would like to do some rough calculations I'd really like to see that) you're forgetting that they have at least 15 employees (that the site lists) to pay along with all the bills and other stuff that they have to buy.

Of course it is fun and if my fun budget is 150k, I would want get the best gear and not the most overpriced!

Very weak buy there. 150k can get you really good real cinema cameras (even above 8k, 60+fps, very little noise. etc.)

1 hour ago, confuded said:

I get its entertainment and all (good rage acting albeit bordering on murderous lunacy). But its strange. Does it really even pay for itself in a short enough period of time to be relevant... I don't want to see any numbers, I just want to hear a yes or a no (no followed by a reason why LTT got it).

As to what Linus said on page to "Why do we do this" - passion is great, but it has to make some financial sense somehow. It can't just be "let's spend a ton of money for no reason, where in a few years we can spend a ton less to get the same result".

~confuded

From my understanding, quite a bit of money they spent on it, is money they already had btw. I think he said something about buying the camera made the 2016 "earnings report" (or something) go from quite a bit positive to a bit negative on WAN show. So I am guessing, over half the price of the camera, is from surplus money from 2016.

Dont quote me on this, I might be wrong. Its just what I think I remember he said.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, The Ran said:

To all those saying "because it's fun, awesome, and because we can", including Linus, you can't just use those words to try and justify unnecessarily spending close to quarter of a mill. Whole room watercooling and the desk PC were orders of magnitude cheaper and will likely result in greater income (especially compared to the investment cost).

And to those saying that if they've got the money why not spend it, I highly doubt they just had a couple hundred grand laying about. Sure they could be bringing in that per month (I doubt it but if someone would like to do some rough calculations I'd really like to see that) you're forgetting that they have at least 15 employees (that the site lists) to pay along with all the bills and other stuff that they have to buy.

Well, if you take around what they earn from youtube adsense, and ~x6, you will be around the correct ballpark, if you judge from the honest answers video.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

40 minutes ago, The Ran said:

I can't speak for LMG because I don't work there or know anyone, but, let's think about what they are doing over the past few months/years, they changed the focus on simple tech review to "tech entertainment", stuff like scrapyard wars and whole room watercooler are pure entertainment, there is no pratical stuff there. What happens with that is that a new market has opened, the market of the "projects", almost every upgrade/vlog you saw on LTT was sponsored and I bet you that this is way more money per view than the simple integrated ad. Making the video on the upgrade of the editing machines from the 4xxx to the 6xxx and telling how much the new intel generation is better for that is way more expensive than the "For the new intel line click on the link to learn more".

What I find interesting is that you guys jump the gun calling this a bad deal, that they will go broke and forget where LMG came from. Sure, LMG doesn't even know how to use the old gear properly, just look at HWCanucks and what they are doing with a fraction of the budget in equipments, but, they are not stupid.

Oooh boy, Brandon's gonna be locked up in Linus's basement for the next 10 years or so, forced to shoot and edit videos every 2 hours, 24/7.

Curious though, I wonder how many interns did Linus kill off-cam? I mean its certain that he'd need a sacrifice to release all that rage building on-cam. 

1 hour ago, Kresnik-02 said:

[...] just look at HWCanucks and what they are doing with a fraction of the budget in equipments, but, they are not stupid.

HW Canucks does a fraction of the videos LMG makes and deson't get so many exclusives, nor views, nor subs... Its a pretty bad comparison.

I don't want a justification for me, but I don't think this was an investment, just for shits and giggles, like what most who try to justify for them are saying. Certainly not for just a rage yt vid. I really want to know what plans Linus has for this, as far as I know he never really just throws money away. He spends a lot yes, but he does rationalize it some way or another..

What I'm saying is, all other #oly $Hit! vids that were about things they bought had a purpose. What is the pupose of the cameras? I mean is it because floatplane club may support 4k? 8k? Is it because in the near future yt will be viewed on TV's more and those are 4k more easily? Is it worth it bc even if you downscale it has better quality, like for post? idk... plz explain @LinusTech I know you're up to smth.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Quite a disappointing video tbh, I have expected some information about the camera, what is it good at and what it can do, instead, it was just saying over and over that it´s expensive...

1 hour ago, VicBar said:

HW Canucks does a fraction of the videos LMG makes and deson't get so many exclusives, nor views, nor subs... Its a pretty bad comparison.

I don't want a justification for me, but I don't think this was an investment, just for shits and giggles, like what most who try to justify for them are saying. Certainly not for just a rage yt vid. I really want to know what plans Linus has for this, as far as I know he never really just throws money away. He spends a lot yes, but he does rationalize it some way or another..

What I'm saying is, all other #oly $Hit! vids that were about things they bought had a purpose. What is the pupose of the cameras? I mean is it because floatplane club may support 4k? 8k? Is it because in the near future yt will be viewed on TV's more and those are 4k more easily? Is it worth it bc even if you downscale it has better quality, like for post? idk... plz explain @LinusTech I know you're up to smth.

The discussion isn't about how much they do, if how much is really a problem, going to 8k raw is a stupid move that will only increase rendering time for little to no gain, it's better to record 4k prores and go straight to the NLE, it's about the quality of what they do with what they have. Photography wise it's clear who has the edge, the broll and lighting are better worked with a fraction of the cost.

7 minutes ago, Kresnik-02 said:

The discussion isn't about how much they do, if how much is really a problem, going to 8k raw is a stupid move that will only increase rendering time for little to no gain, it's better to record 4k prores and go straight to the NLE, it's about the quality of what they do with what they have. Photography wise it's clear who has the edge, the broll and lighting are better worked with a fraction of the cost.

I guess you've been following them longer than I, because I've always seen them as "tech entertainment" with usefull info for enthusiasts.

But I insist even "Whole-room Water-cooling" had a real life purpose. Its was more of a proof of concept, but they did need cooling and it did work. I agree that IDK how they justified the camera in their minds, and i reaally want to know.  What is the point of this camera? Are they the only ones in BC to have it and have plans to rent it out?? o.O

I agree they have been lacking is some areas, the thumbnail thread has mentioned them enough.. I was just saying that they do feel on another level compared to other tech tubers, like HWC, but they lack many things compared to Gamer's Nexus for example, specially on the in-depth, technical side of things.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

For roughly 140k one could actually hire three editors for one year. The prices are absurd high. Or how many villages in Africa could be fed for how long?

22 hours ago, nicklmg said:

No I think everyone is being pretty darn careful with it so far lol :P 

I mean that's why you have insurance on it right?

Oh wait, premiums will skyrocket...damn...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Mihle said:

Well, if you take around what they earn from youtube adsense, and ~x6, you will be around the correct ballpark, if you judge from the honest answers video.

Correct me if I'm being dumb here. I did a quick search and $5-7 seems to be a typical CPM rate for US/CA and at ~40m views per month that's $240k at $6 CPM. If they are indeed somehow making $1.44m per month then I take back everything I said, I'd even suggest buying that Lambo so they have something nice to film.

5 hours ago, Kresnik-02 said:

stuff like scrapyard wars and whole room watercooler are pure entertainment, there is no pratical stuff there. What happens with that is that a new market has opened, the market of the "projects", almost every upgrade/vlog you saw on LTT was sponsored and I bet you that this is way more money per view than the simple integrated ad. Making the video on the upgrade of the editing machines from the 4xxx to the 6xxx and telling how much the new intel generation is better for that is way more expensive than the "For the new intel line click on the link to learn more".

The difference is those things cost peanuts compared to this. Scrapyard Wars would cost like a couple grand for each season and they get quite a few videos out of each one and a shit load of views because everyone loves it so much. Same goes for whole room watercooling, a bit more expensive but multiple vids with tons of views and even a little bit of practicality thrown in. I'd say that every project that they've undertaken has at least made its money back with a lot of them turning a profit, but they ain't gonna make $135k or whatever the cameras cost from this one video. If they really wanted to do it for entertainment purposes then they'd rent the camera, at least then they'd stand a chance of turning a profit from it.

8 minutes ago, The Ran said:

Correct me if I'm being dumb here. I did a quick search and $5-7 seems to be a typical CPM rate for US/CA and at ~40m views per month that's $240k at $6 CPM. If they are indeed somehow making $1.44m per month then I take back everything I said, I'd even suggest buying that Lambo so they have something nice to film.

Well, I dont know average adsense money, and the ~x6 might be more like ~x5,1 or something, I dont know. The honnest answers that showed that youtube adsense is around 1/5-1/6 of their income isnt the newest, it was made at the tame when vessel was a thing. It doesnt show exact %, I was just judging by the picture at the screen, I dont even know if that picture was actually accurate. But if that CPM is actually what they get, you can say they get quite a bit of money :P

So take things with a little bit if salt.

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, honna1612 said:

He wasted over 100.000 Dollars for a compandy that charges 1.5k for a battery pack.

Actually the battery might be the most cost effective item in the package they received.  If I'm not mistaken that $1500 was for 4x V-lock batteries and a dual battery charger.  That's roughly an average price for a good set of V-lock batteries and a charger.  If RED made proprietary batteries for their cameras and charged people $1500 per battery, I think everyone in the industry would scream bloody murder.