RED Weapon Unboxing

I guess the last part of the video was shot on the RED. I guess it really does make a difference. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:47 PM, mariushm said:

Because they don't make only Youtube videos, they also shoot ads for various companies, promotional content, various things.

If the better cameras attract more such customers or helps retain existing customers, it could be a good investment (only time would tell).

Quite, and most commercial videos require that you have a certain level of equipment. Companies won't hire you if you can't match what they're expecting technically. I suspect that there's an extra cash reason that these cameras were needed. 

and they can justify those prices because...... YOU FUCKIN' PAID THOSE PRICES <quadrillion facepalms>

E2A: I hope Luke, the guy who likes the saying "Vote with your wallet" has a field day pointing and laughing.

Edited by peanutsrevenge
See E2A

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

On 5/3/2017 at 2:03 PM, honna1612 said:

Panavision DXL 8K 60fps ENOUGH SAID. He wasted over 100.000 Dollars for a compandy that charges 1.5k for a battery pack.
Any rational person would think about the business model of RED before buying stuff from them.

Panavision also comes with standard adapters (unlike the one linus bought for 2k just to get audio working) so audio and everything works with standard hardware and not like that joke RED. (They were the first to do 8k so they just charged whatever they wanted)
You can see in the image it comes with most accessories AND 60fps!

Full review here: https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/panavision-millennium-dxl-camera/

panavision-millenium-dxl-camera-cine-gear-2016-768x432.jpg

You're the second person to write about this camera. You do realise that this camera is a Red Dragon. It's the same sensor. The Red can also shoot at 60fps in 8K.

What's more, Panavision doesn't sell cameras, it's a rental outfit that has its own lens system with a proprietary mount. 

This camera is a Red in a Panavision chassis, which can take Panavision lenses. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realize this post is waaaaaay after the release of this video. I had my Shield TV running YouTube on LTT videos and it was auto-playing and I resaw this video and couldn't drown out Linus' (understandably) enraged rant. He mentioned how Brandon pushed to get the Camera and all the ridiculously priced, proprietary accessories, and I thought about how Brandon had to convince Linus to buy the Red Camera, which I'm sure is great, but not for the value. Then I thought Linus should have Brandon make a video basically explaining why LMG (or Brandon himself probably) needed it. Based on Linus' reaction he probably didn't have a problem with the camera(s) used prior to the Red Cam, so if I were him, I'd have Brandon make a video explaining to viewers about why he needed it and rationalize the costs (which weren't his lol). It's an 8K camera, great, but how many of us can watch in 8K, and does it REALLY matter? I'm sure there are a lot more reasons that the 8K feature, but for the price of all that, LMG could've made a bunch of REAL investments into stocks, cryptocurrencies, investing in companies of friends; businesses and seen a real return. 

The saddest part of this video is thinking how many great PC parts or builds I could've bought plus just saving the money. IDK about anyone else, but it's not as if the video quality of said videos has shown a noticeable improvement. If I had my own business and an employee asked me to buy something to help their work but was outlandishly pricey compared to competitors with cameras that outputs videos and allows for ease of use I would make said person not only justify the purchase but get viewers' responses on whether the viewers even cared for (which is who matters when it comes to LMGs incoming finances. Seems like just a "need" for Brandon wanting the best of the best (which doesn't seem to be the best of the best per price value)

No hate Brandon...just boggles my mind.

5 hours ago, likwidsolutions said:

I realize this post is waaaaaay after the release of this video. I had my Shield TV running YouTube on LTT videos and it was auto-playing and I resaw this video and couldn't drown out Linus' (understandably) enraged rant. He mentioned how Brandon pushed to get the Camera and all the ridiculously priced, proprietary accessories, and I thought about how Brandon had to convince Linus to buy the Red Camera, which I'm sure is great, but not for the value. Then I thought Linus should have Brandon make a video basically explaining why LMG (or Brandon himself probably) needed it. Based on Linus' reaction he probably didn't have a problem with the camera(s) used prior to the Red Cam, so if I were him, I'd have Brandon make a video explaining to viewers about why he needed it and rationalize the costs (which weren't his lol). It's an 8K camera, great, but how many of us can watch in 8K, and does it REALLY matter? I'm sure there are a lot more reasons that the 8K feature, but for the price of all that, LMG could've made a bunch of REAL investments into stocks, cryptocurrencies, investing in companies of friends; businesses and seen a real return. 

The saddest part of this video is thinking how many great PC parts or builds I could've bought plus just saving the money. IDK about anyone else, but it's not as if the video quality of said videos has shown a noticeable improvement. If I had my own business and an employee asked me to buy something to help their work but was outlandishly pricey compared to competitors with cameras that outputs videos and allows for ease of use I would make said person not only justify the purchase but get viewers' responses on whether the viewers even cared for (which is who matters when it comes to LMGs incoming finances. Seems like just a "need" for Brandon wanting the best of the best (which doesn't seem to be the best of the best per price value)

No hate Brandon...just boggles my mind.

This camera won´t help you improve a YT video with limited editing time and stupid compression (it´s probably much more of an improvement on floatplane), but it´s almost a must for a video production company.

YT videos isn´t the only thing they are doing and it´s quite smart to branch out. They have a good team and it would be a sham not to offer their production capabilities on the market. I´m quite confident this was well calculated move and that the camera will pay for itself w/o much of a problem.

9 hours ago, Freeman said:

This camera won´t help you improve a YT video with limited editing time and stupid compression (it´s probably much more of an improvement on floatplane), but it´s almost a must for a video production company.

TBH if I were in search for a production company I would choose one with RED 8K camera instead of one with the cheaper equipment. Pricing for the same project would not be significantly more expensive than from any other professional production company and I want the best for my money. 

RED 8K camera is expensive for sure, but it is a ticket for getting higher paid jobs. Or in the worst case scenario they can just rent the equipment and still earn some money. 

I will also tell my experience from another field, professional touring audio. If you want top paid gigs, you need to have (among other things) Midas H3000 audio console. It is super expensive but it is the ticket for the world of top production events.

• 2 weeks later...

Where would you wanna put your 20 million dollar budget? On a $500 Cfast with no promise of backup or a $2000+ Cfast backed by a company with a huge capability recovery?. Welcome to Cinema. *Mic Drop*

CPU: A good one | Motherboard: A blue medium in size | RAM: Enough for gaming | GPU: Two big ones | Case: Black with colors | Storage: More then enough | PSU: Could kill me if I licked it | Displays: Two of them | Cooling: A few fans | Keyboard: Yes | Mouse: Yes, on a wire | Sound: Sure | Operating System: You betcha!

On 8/12/2017 at 11:02 PM, gleetk said:

Where would you wanna put your 20 million dollar budget? On a $500 Cfast with no promise of backup or a $2000+ Cfast backed by a company with a huge capability recovery?. Welcome to Cinema. *Mic Drop*

I never mentioned any other camera, I simply seriously wondered what the need for it was (mainly because of Linus' own mind being blown at the costs). My post had nothing to do with the quality of the Red Camera, but just the ridiculous costs which even Linus pointed out were a bit extreme, with things like attachments that were proprietary accessories which had to be bought to get full use out of it costing hundereds of dollars (out of countless little accessories). Not like I was suggesting the roll around with a GoPro and call it a day. I realize they want quality. I was really commenting on Linus' bewilderment and thinking, if I'm Linus and I'm annoyed at the cost associated, at least it would be a neat video to have Brandon show WHY it's actually a worthy investment. Maybe I'm just ignorant on this topic....no I take that back, I am ignorant on video filming, but not completely. I do get that future proofing the quality, also while just actually having funcational and high quality equipment is an overall good investment. But after that video it just left me wondering how it would be nice to see what it could do, why might someone (other than LMG) invest in that model over another brand or model. I'm just a tech nerd like the rest of us, but we each have areas we are more knowledgable in and others not so much. My question, while verbose, was specifically out of curiosity and wanting to know where the costs justified the means (it's their money, but just as a tech user in general is insightful).  

No offense, it just seemed like your response was a bit defensive...20 million dollar budget, welcome to the cinema? I didn't realize LMG videos were 20 million budget. Hell, plenty of great indie films are made every year with just a few million, but that's besides the point. I was just questioning the logic, which I'm sure is sound, but I can follow logic without having smartass responses that didn't answer a damn thing. (to the two previous posts, thanks, much better responses.) Still, I would curiously like to know where this camera can excel in what LMG does (NOT a big budget film...as it's obvious you wouldn't do something on a huge scale with a couple hundred dollar camera.) 

*I think this Mic slipped from your hands*