RED Weapon Unboxing

2 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

well no, what i mean to say is that the software red provides is made to get the most out of red raw, since the software is made to use all the data on the file. adobe premier might be able to edit red raw files, but it can't use all the features used in redcine since it's not optimized to work with red raw. 

much in the same way photo software works for different proprietary formats like I said before; you can edit a PO IIQ file in LR or camera raw, but you won't get the most out of the file as you would in C1. 

as for the shutter speed thing, shutter speed takes a role in how long the sensor is exposed; now idk what blackmagic (slight pun intended) goes into red sensors to do so, but if a sensor is strong enough, its possible to virtualize the different outcomes of different shutter speeds to apply different results in a recording. now this isnt to say you can set your shutter to 1/4 or 1/2 a second and set it to 1/500 in post because A: your histogram will only go so many stops (the measurment for light values on cameras) either direction; i dont know how many stops red sensors go but i doubt it'd great enough to recover that much of a shot, and B: shutter is more to do with exposure, as it does play a role in your exposure. 

the main advantage of raw files is being able to salvage an exposure in post. but i could just be uber wrong and the exposure settings are just redcine's way of illustrating exposure changes. 

What you're talking about is changing the exposure value, something that can be done to any image or video file. In camera it is controlled by three variables, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. In post you can only adjust it by what is essentially changing the ISO. Up the value too much and you start to get noise in the dark areas as they contain no data, with a sensor with a higher dynamic range there will be more data in those dark areas and so you can push the exposure further.

RED stuff isn't magic, it's no different to what every other manufacturer does, they just do it better than some.

10 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

FYI: I'm a professional photographer and cinematographer.  I know what I'm talking about.

4 minutes ago, The Ran said:

What you're talking about is changing the exposure value, something that can be done to any image or video file. In camera it is controlled by three variables, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. In post you can only adjust it by what is essentially changing the ISO. Up the value too much and you start to get noise in the dark areas as they contain no data, with a sensor with a higher dynamic range there will be more data in those dark areas and so you can push the exposure further.

RED stuff isn't magic, it's no different to what every other manufacturer does, they just do it better than some.

What this guy said.  Any image or video, whether shot in RAW format or other formats, the exposure can be adjusted to some degree or other in post.  RAW video and photo formats are better at handling this post adjustment BECAUSE it stores everything (or almost everything depending on compression level) that the sensor sees vs. a highly compressed format like H.264 or JPEG where extra data is discarded.

But no matter what, things like shutter speed, DOF, frame rates, CANNOT be changed in post.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

FYI: I'm a professional photographer and cinematographer.  I know what I'm talking about.

Same here, with the exception that I'm mainly a photographer. 

3 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

Same here, with the exception that I'm mainly a photographer. 

Then you'd know that you can't change shutter speed, depth of field, frame rate or even ISO in post.  Though on the ISO part, depending on the software or camera file design, you can change the metadata to tell the editing software to treat the file as if the ISO was a different value.  However the noise inherent in shooting with a higher ISO has to be removed using noise reduction and will not magically disappear just because the metadata for ISO has been changed. With digital sensors, changing the ISO sensitivity is just an amplification of the charge/signal in the sensor and higher ISOs have more noise due to that amplification of the charge/signal.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Not even hollywood studios are shooting on 8K for 100+ million dollar feature film productions. How on earth is it worth for a youtube channel to spend that kind of money on a camera? Something like 1% of people have 4K monitors to watch your already amazing-looking 4K content. What's the f*cking point on spending that much on a goddamn camera instead of hiring more writers and editors to put out more of your already great quality content? 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Linus was so salty lol :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh my god...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Very enjoyable video, and only the best for LMG

1 hour ago, Terodius said:

Not even hollywood studios are shooting on 8K for 100+ million dollar feature film productions. How on earth is it worth for a youtube channel to spend that kind of money on a camera? Something like 1% of people have 4K monitors to watch your already amazing-looking 4K content. What's the f*cking point on spending that much on a goddamn camera instead of hiring more writers and editors to put out more of your already great quality content? 

Actually, there is some reasons.

If your final render resolution is lower than your shooting resolution, you can digitally stabilize a video, for example, shooting in 8K let you zoom and use 50% of the actual image without loosing in image quality if your final render is in 4K.

Another thing, image resolution (Like "4K" is 3840x2160) and image definition are two separated thing, if you play a 8K video (CGI video renders, like Big Bug Bunny, are a good source for those examples) on a 4K (or even Full HD) screen and an identical video but in 4K on the same screen, you would actually see a more "cleaner" image with the 8K video, because it have more informations to display, even if your screen can't show it completely (that's exactly how Nvidia DSR and supersampling works).

So I don't think that switching to RED and 8K shooting is a bad idea for professional creators like at LMG, the only issue is space and they solved it. I honestly hoped that Brandon would showed up in the video to speak about this camera and why shooting in 8K is useful for them, maybe in a next video (of honest answers maybe ?)

EDIT : I forgot to say something about people complaining about the price of one camera. Guys, look at the price of PROFESSIONAL cameras that can shoot upper than 4K, compact and that you can upgrade it with modular components like RED. Their cameras aren't that costly if you look at what you get, everything is made in USA, custom machined with excellent materials... The question would be "Do LMG should have spend that much for that ?", and I think yes, because they don't only make YouTube videos, they do professional shooting, advertising and actually creates videos for YouTube that would benefit from those reasons. So, I'll just wait for a answer from some LMG video editors that will end this case.

Holy balls that's expensive...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, alex73630 said:

If your final render resolution is lower than your shooting resolution, you can digitally stabilize a video, for example, shooting in 8K let you zoom and use 50% of the actual image without loosing in image quality if your final render is in 4K.

Another thing, image resolution (Like "4K" is 3840x2160) and image definition are two separated thing, if you play a 8K video (CGI video renders, like Big Bug Bunny, are a good source for those examples) on a 4K (or even Full HD) screen and an identical video but in 4K on the same screen, you would actually see a more "cleaner" image with the 8K video, because it have more informations to display, even if your screen can't show it completely (that's exactly how Nvidia DSR and supersampling works).

So I don't think that switching to RED and 8K shooting is a bad idea for professional creators like at LMG, the only issue is space and they solved it. I honestly hoped that Brandon would showed up in the video to speak about this camera and why shooting in 8K is useful for them, maybe in a next video (of honest answers maybe ?)

I didn't say there's no reason. I asked whether it is worth it, given the number of things they could have done with that much money to increase production value or put out more content or invest in floatplaneclub. I'm aware that shooting in higher res allows more flexibility in post. But do you think 200.000 USD is worth it for better image stabilization or flexibility to recrop given that most of their content is filmed in a studio with complete control over lighting, framing, etc.?

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1 minute ago, alex73630 said:

Image stabilised lenses or even in body stabilisation would be significantly cheaper. Also considering most people watch in 1080 or lower it wouldn't be a big deal to stabilise 4k footage to a lower res, even for those that do watch at 4k they probably won't care if a couple shots are at a lower res.

2 minutes ago, The Ran said:

Image stabilised lenses or even in body stabilisation would be significantly cheaper. Also considering most people watch in 1080 or lower it wouldn't be a big deal to stabilise 4k footage to a lower res, even for those that do watch at 4k they probably won't care if a couple shots are at a lower res.

I agreed about YouTube videos (even if I'm the kind of watching everything in the higher quality on YouTube), but (as I said in my edited answer) because they do some professional shootings for others companies and some video that actually would benefits of this upgrade, I think this is just an long-term investment that will pay one day. But hey, if Linus says ok, I think everything is fine (no jokes intended) and they planned everything for good reasons. (And Linus just decided to make a funny video about complaining of that huge cost)

3 minutes ago, alex73630 said:

I agreed about YouTube videos (even if I'm the kind of watching everything in the higher quality on YouTube), but (as I said in my edited answer) because they do some professional shootings for others companies and some video that actually would benefits of this upgrade, I think this is just an long-term investment that will pay one day. But hey, if Linus says ok, I think everything is fine (no jokes intended) and they planned everything for good reasons. (And Linus just decided to make a funny video about complaining of that huge cost)

They've done some adverts in the past, no idea if they still do or if so how much but certainly not enough to justify the investment. Honestly nothing that's gonna end up on Youtube needs to be more than 4k and the only stuff that really benefits from 4k is actual creative aesthetic stuff. That's probably a shitty way to describe it but I'm talking about stuff like what Corridor Digital makes, not tech reviews, adverts, or goofing around (CSF or series' like Scrapyward Wars).

If you get a chance, can you do some 8K video testing with different smartphones. so far every smartphone that I have tried with various exports from the sample 8K red footage, has either not played on smartphones at the native 8K resolution, or the video players simply crashed.

Why are phone makers not putting enough focus on 8K video playback on smartphones?

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy RED cameras & accessories: http://geni.us/iKUzO

1. You wish! xD

2. I was watching the ending add spot with an eagle eye and noticed edzels email address... edzelmediagroup.com redirects to linustechtips.com... did you really buy that domain just for the addspot? was it edzels idea? bravo!

Just now, SpaceNugget said:

1. You wish! xD

2. I was watching the ending add spot with an eagle eye and noticed edzels email address... edzelmediagroup.com redirects to linustechtips.com... did you really buy that domain just for the addspot? was it edzels idea? bravo!

It's not an affiliate link, so it makes no difference to us whether you buy one or not :P we just place that link there for those interested. In this case I assume that number is very, very few.

And I didn't actually know that... pretty funny. I'm sure Edzel has it just for the lulz.

5 hours ago, The Falcon said:

okay but why has no one been able to compete with RED? I am sure Sony or BlackMagic could make something to compete with RED and bring down the price.

Because very few people give a shit about the kind of work that top end RED cameras are required for. Basically, no one else is going to throw away money, when the niche market doesn't have enough potential user base to go around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You know, I'm relatively certain the LTT engineering staff could have made some of those accessories, battery and such. After seeing their wonderful work on the heatsinks, production values are sure to go through the roof. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I remember RED also has gpus too.

Yep they do

red_rocket_side_by_side.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Loved the video, I have a question, though. Is there any real need for such an expensive piece of equipment, or is just for shits and giggles? 

2 minutes ago, redf5 said:

Loved the video, I have a question, though. Is there any real need for such an expensive piece of equipment, or is just for shits and giggles? 

Higher res is easier to edit with, it captures insane detail and RED colour science is basically as good as it gets.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti