Physical retail stores are dying. Gamestop closing approx 225 stores worldwide.

AlTech

Who could have saw this coming!?!? I think everybody agrees it has to do with online services - either going digital or getting a physical copy from a website for cheaper (Amazon knocks off ~$12 on new physical copies for Prime members for example).

It looked like that were trying to branch out to fix the money issue by forming a game studio and merging with Thinkgeek but I guess it wasn't enough. The gamestop near me is the size of 2 normal gamestops and it 90% filled with clothing and TG items. It looks more like tamer hot topic or FYE with all the pop culture and nerd stuff but a tiny wall for video games. The last two times I went there was to get non-gaming stuff.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

If they actually sold PC stuff I'd go more. I've been in there a couple times recently and they have zero PC stuff anymore.

Didn't help that for the last few years when you bought a physical copy for PC at any store, all we'd get is a blank disc with a digital download code on it.  If I can't play offline in my faraday man cage, then what's the point?  Seems publishers are quite eager to kill off retail, we've always known that they hate the used markets with a seething passion.

I do buy more and more stuff digital, but that feeling when you go to a game store and they have everything, I feel like a happy little kid. Good luck getting that on Steam. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

For buying hardware: 110% online shopping.

For Software: I'm kind of torn, I like Steam, but sometimes I do wish I was using physical copy of somethings.

Gamestop should just close all their stores and work on their site, be a digital provider online, like Steam in a way.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, alca said:

Did I hear this right? 3% of all their stores equate to 225?

That would be... 7425 stores worldwide? Jesus.

GameStop has 6,614 stores in operation, of which 4,434 are located in the United States, 343 in Canada, 413 in Australia/New Zealand and 1,424 are in Europe

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, AG1233 said:

For consoles I would anyday choose Physical over digital.There's something about having a physical collection which IMO digital cant ever compete.

I don't. Much rather not deal with physical copies, wasted materials and space

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

15 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I don't. Much rather not deal with physical copies, wasted materials and space

Well it comes down to personal preference.As i said in my previous post there is something about physical game disks and cartridges that i absolutely love.

YES! fistpump!

image.jpg

Gamestop are a bunch of shitbaguettes and hopefully this means Nintendo will stop their damn "go to Gamestop to get this Pokémon" BULLSHIT.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

27 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I do buy more and more stuff digital, but that feeling when you go to a game store and they have everything, I feel like a happy little kid. Good luck getting that on Steam. 

Lord gaben has heard your prayer and he'll let you browse games with a VR virtual store where you can hit on people of your area if needed!

I haven't even been to HMV in about 5 years. There is a good reason why these stores are dying.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

5 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Lord gaben has heard your prayer and he'll let you browse games with a VR virtual store where you can hit on people of your area if needed!

That... is not even close.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Is there a list of number per country?  It'd be interesting to see the spread of percentages closed per country.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Saw this coming. Technically they could've been clever and created some benefits on coming to a Game Stop. But no, there's literally no reason to go. Prices are usually among the worst. Forget selling or returns there. How much you get and their policies are like a slap in your face, then proceed to spit in said face and then I swift kick to the nuts for good measure. I only comment from my previous experiences, maybe they got better idk. But really they came to the place where they simply just...existed. As a result, obviously all the other retail stores, more importantly the online stores (which they failed in diving into...could've been the microcenter of games and more...) came up and just squeezed them out of relevancy. Good riddance I say. You guys had a good run I guess. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

19 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

YES! fistpump!

image.jpg

LMFAOOOO

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

Didn't help that for the last few years when you bought a physical copy for PC at any store, all we'd get is a blank disc with a digital download code on it.  If I can't play offline in my faraday man cage, then what's the point?  Seems publishers are quite eager to kill off retail, we've always known that they hate the used markets with a seething passion.

True. Though I did miss Gamestop trying to get rid of their excess PC copies of games I didn't want to pay full price for and weren't currently on sale on Steam.

Sorry dad.... welp.... (he works at gamestop and has been since it first started in north carolina)

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

Sorry dad.... welp.... (he works at gamestop and has been since it first started in north carolina)

Man, that sucks. Do we know which stores are closing (I live in North Carolina and like to visit the GameStops sometimes)?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Haha, that title is a little sensationalist but it's definitely true for video games and music. As it should be. Music I can see why you'd want to have the digital version. Album art, signatures, etc. Video games, not  so much. Except consoles. Being able to sell a game if I hate it, or if I've beaten it is awesome. Plus with Amazon Primes discount I don't even really lose out on that much cash. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think that more companies need to compete with Valve's Steam platform.

I do, they want to make lots of profit.

I don't. The last thing we need is 15 different download platforms we have to have installed. It's bad enough having 3. 

2 hours ago, AG1233 said:

For consoles I would anyday choose Physical over digital.There's something about having a physical collection which IMO digital cant ever compete.

I like the ability to sell it when I'm done with it. No post in keeping something around that I'll never play again. 

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I don't even have CD/DVD driver any more on my new rig, everything is downloaded already... Frankly the other day I was thinking, I know that cds and dvds are extremely cheap thus why they are used but wouldn't it be possible to migrate from those to some cheap usb solution?

-snip-

The thing is though...the USB solution is still potentially millions of dollars more than a simple download is. It still doesn't make sense financially. For monitors and such, I'm honestly surprised they even bother including the disc anymore. Should just give a download code. 

Most console games still make you download a good chunk online. 

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I try to buy as much as I can online. I basically only buy groceries in the supermarket and that´s it.

You'll have times in your life when toy need soemthing, and waiting a day or two for delivery costs you dearly. Retail stores are very much a necessity for many reasons. 

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

-snip-

Retailers of certain products, like cloth  or shoes, still have the advantage of letting you try things out and see them in person (online pics aren't a good enough approximation yet), but they can still be cursed by the "tray at the store, buy online" pattern if they sell widely available products (say, if you sell Adidas stuff, there's no real reason to buy from you if the same can be obtained $0.01 cheaper online, unless delivery time matters and you happen to have the right size in stock).

I think saying that a $0.01 savings will sway people is a little far fetched. I and many of my friends would need to save at least $15 to $20 depending on the item for it to be worth waiting a few days to get it. 

1 hour ago, GeekJump said:

-snip-

It looked like that were trying to branch out to fix the money issue by forming a game studio and merging with Thinkgeek but I guess it wasn't enough. The gamestop near me is the size of 2 normal gamestops and it 90% filled with clothing and TG items. It looks more like tamer hot topic or FYE with all the pop culture and nerd stuff but a tiny wall for video games. The last two times I went there was to get non-gaming stuff.

I'm pretty sure the stuff you were biting was gaming related though, wasn't it. ;)

I knew it'd go this way for a while. There's simply more margin in goods like clothes, the game section gets smaller and smaller. 

I love Amazon for their discount. I couldn't care less about extra skins or a weapon that will be obsolete 5 minutes into gameplay. Give me money in my pocket I can use for other things.  

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I do, they want to make lots of profit.

How about, they have a PHYSICAL STORE to pay rent on.

Btw having a physical copy of a game means you can give it to a friend also especially if you are only gonna play it once.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

3 hours ago, AG1233 said:

Yes.

-taking up space

-getting scratched

-getting dusty

-getting lost

-getting knocked over and creating a mess

19 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

How about, they have a PHYSICAL STORE to pay rent on.

Btw having a physical copy of a game means you can give it to a friend also especially if you are only gonna play it once.

You also pay rent on domain, servers, storage, programmers and other employers, distribution and so on, it isn't like e-commerce/digital is free of cost, also nothing stops you from sharing your steam game library with your friend, my boyfriend and I shares our game libraries on steam with each other, I play The Witcher 3 through his library etc.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

26 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I think saying that a $0.01 savings will sway people is a little far fetched. I and many of my friends would need to save at least $15 to $20 depending on the item for it to be worth waiting a few days to get it. 

The idea wasn't to take the $0.01 to the letter 9_9

In any case, what you describe falls under "delivery time matters", doesn't it?

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Gamestop has experienced a reduced year over year sales of around 13% compared to the same time last year.

Gamestop has decided to close approximately 225 retail stores worldwide which equates to roughly 2-3% of their stores worldwide.

I agree with ReviewTechUSA's interpretation that this is due to digital downloads becoming more mainstream.

Source:

Frankly, if a retailer wants to sell me a product in a physical store then it needs to be something I can't get anywhere else for cheaper or something that I can't get anywhere else, period.

I'd recommend retailers to develop their own brand signature product so that customers have a reason to come back to that store.

i thought reviewtech usa died, i used to watch him

i remember him bitching about buying a 680 over a 670 because he upgraded from a 660 and a 670 is enough :P 

also i goto physical stores because 1. i cant buy online, 2. fuck shipping time, 3. it's the same/cheaper here to buy in store than online (PC HARDWARE IM TALKING ABOUT)

3 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I have optical drives EVERYWHERE! I love them. 

mine are all ide

and my motherboard doesn't have a ide

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.