Physical retail stores are dying. Gamestop closing approx 225 stores worldwide.

AlTech
2 hours ago, alca said:

Did I hear this right? 3% of all their stores equate to 225?

That would be... 7425 stores worldwide? Jesus.

There used to be three GameStops in the one mall by my house.... Then several more in the surrounding areas.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-taking up space

Yeah because 30-40 disks case will force me out of my home because of shortage of space.Seriously though if the cases are literally taking too much space you could just put them in a cd holder.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-getting scratched

It won't be scratched unless you handle them like a barbarian and some small scratches on the disks won't matter.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-getting dusty

Literally what even?Does it even matter it gets dusty.Everything gets dusty even your hard disk you store your games on.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-getting lost

Not really if you take care of your belongings.But that is something that can happen regardless so i will take it as a valid point

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-getting knocked over and creating a mess

I will not even reply to this one :dry:

As i said in my original post,In my OPINION they are better.It comes down to everyones personal preference.I like them because I can share my games with my friends,Even sell it if I don't need it anymore and lastly I just prefer a larger physical games collection than a digital one no matter how much space that they take :P.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

You also pay rent on domain, servers, storage, programmers and other employers, distribution and so on, it isn't like e-commerce/digital is free of cost, also nothing stops you from sharing your steam game library with your friend, my boyfriend and I shares our game libraries on steam with each other, I play The Witcher 3 through his library etc.

I can pay for slot of domains storage server use for the rent of some of these stores it's not like mall space is cheap to reach the same amount of people as online not to mention the whole advertising your store is actually around and I would say that 

Also having to download a 50gb game is a bit restrictive on say a 1mbit connection is the other point to be made 

But lots of profit is just a lie. There is significant cost in operating these places that far exceeds the cost of digital upkeep.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Amazon prime isnt available in my country, Gamestop isnt available in my country, whatever you call it isnt available or wont ship to my country....

Someone please get me the fuk out of here, this is like an anti-technology druids dreamland .-. (okay sorry, im gonna say its probably a region lock and not a national one, but where i live is where it hurts :( ).

:D and yeah i agree, ordering online for physical games or buying from steam is mostly the best way to go from a security and savings standpoint even.

Groomlake Authority

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

migrate from those to some cheap usb solution

Think of the security risks...

3 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Man, that sucks. Do we know which stores are closing (I live in North Carolina and like to visit the GameStops sometimes)?

well idk the stores but the brier creek one he works at

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Annoyed nit pick: I could do without the first part of the topic title.

Anyway, I wouldn't argue a lot that GameStop is dying because physical retail is not there (because I would rather have a disk than download the game with the relatively crappy broadband speeds we have here), but because GameStop has so much crap going on both internally and with its customer relations. And, I dare say, its business model is becoming outdated with the competition, aside from Amazon and the like, doing more things.

I use Best Buy now primarily to get my physical game copies because:

• They have a much better rewards system for video games than GameStop (20% off anything new was what sold it for me).
  • You have much better options when you redeem your points (barring outright cash but meh)
  • I actually feel like I'm being rewarded for spending money there, even though Amazon offers similar things right off the bat for Best Buy's higher tier.
  • Their employees don't ask me a million question on things I don't want at check out. In fact, when I was eyeing the brochure for the gamer's club, the cashier patiently waited as I looked it over and didn't say anything about it unless I asked a questino. I'm 99% sure if I did that at Game Stop, they would give me a 10 minute sales pitch and pressure me to buy it.
  • They also price match. Though I haven't really had a reason to use it since the first point.

I'm sure Amazon's thing is better in some aspects, but I like having a brick and mortar electronics store to go to.

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-snip-

Best buy sucks for used items IMO, cheaper on ebay and amazon, even GS by a large margin, and most times not complete at best buy.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't really care for the used market though. At least for anything current.

Fair enough. I don't usually buy console games any longer besides handheld games or console exclusives. And used at that. Everything is digital on pc for me

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Fair enough. I don't usually buy console games any longer besides handheld games or console exclusives. And used at that. Everything is digital on pc for me

Best Buy sells PC games too. Though they may as well just send me a code over email for EA games since EA doesn't even bother with pressing discs for "physical" copies.

7 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't go to stores like GameStop because I can get the same items for a lot cheaper online. I don't know why the stores have such high markups on things. 

Because GameStop, among other brick and mortar stores, have stores in PRIME locations (malls, downtown shopping streets). The rent for these locations are insanely high. In a town not far from where i live, the rent for a company with a shop that size runs around 30-75,000 NOK a month.... each game sells for 499-599.... now imagine how many games they must sell, in order to cover the rent + employee wages... 

AND, if they rented space in places outside of malls/city centres, THEY'D GET NO CUSTOMERS. Because the kids that usually DO go to shops like Gamestop, are NOT old enough to own or drive a motor vehicle.

Not fast enough. People are quite fetishistic about physical media when nowadays is basically crap: Take your average 2017 physical release and compare it to a proper, late 90s big box PC game. I used to have physical copies with small fucking novellas on them just for flavor and book sized manuals. Nowadays you're lucky if most of the game is actually on the fucking disk chances are you'll be greeted to download a ton of shit regardless of physically purchasing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 hours ago, Kloaked said:

If they actually sold PC stuff I'd go more. I've been in there a couple times recently and they have zero PC stuff anymore.

That's not true! They carry Astros and Razer products! 

Spoiler

Never mind, those both suck.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I do, they want to make lots of profit.

Or maybe a physical store is more expensive than a couple of servers? :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Movie/Music/Games are totally useless these days. 

Good for gamestop to realise its uselessness, not sure what they gonna do now. It surely sucks to be put out of business.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Idk, I feel like in 10 years we will lament over how digital game prices keep increasing once publishers can cut out the middle man.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

i thought reviewtech usa died, i used to watch him

i remember him bitching about buying a 680 over a 670 because he upgraded from a 660 and a 670 is enough :P 

also i goto physical stores because 1. i cant buy online, 2. fuck shipping time, 3. it's the same/cheaper here to buy in store than online (PC HARDWARE IM TALKING ABOUT)

mine are all ide

and my motherboard doesn't have a ide

I had the same problem, which is why I got a cheap PCIe IDE/SATA RAID controller card

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is sort of sad... All the people that work there are now out of jobs... imagine this everywhere... Imagine this happened to every business. Scary. Sure Gamestop sort of sucked... but had they actually been good... this would have sucked even more.

Not surprised. I remember going to store to buy a WoW prepaid card and they stopped getting those, they're gone for quite some time. Also saw shrink of game disks too.

There's just something awesome to have physical copy of the game, specially collectors edition. Benefit of having not to download it too. Still have shitty internet speed.

What would be very neat is that games would come on on USB 3.x though heh but yeah, I know it would be very expensive. Specially since games are quite large now too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

47 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

This is sort of sad... All the people that work there are now out of jobs... imagine this everywhere... Imagine this happened to every business. Scary. Sure Gamestop sort of sucked... but had they actually been good... this would have sucked even more.

I think they would have had a better experience if they favored gamers with good work ethic over polished resumes when employing. 

Spoiler

I'll never forget the time that my local Gamestop hired the high school's cosmetology club president. She knows what a console is and that's it. The most gaming she did was Facebook.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Amazon prime isnt available in my country, Gamestop isnt available in my country, whatever you call it isnt available or wont ship to my country....

Someone please get me the fuk out of here, this is like an anti-technology druids dreamland .-. (okay sorry, im gonna say its probably a region lock and not a national one, but where i live is where it hurts :( ).

:D and yeah i agree, ordering online for physical games or buying from steam is mostly the best way to go from a security and savings standpoint even.

What are you going on about?  You're not allowed to play games in Portugal!  Nossa Senhora de Fátima proíbe isso, Deus te liberte se tu não esta fazendo construção como uma pessoa normal.

slap-392948.jpg

[/Not so latent cultural misgivings]

22 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

-snip-

Lol!

Well, i am currently on an internship that requires painting, cutting, etc., xD.

But yeah, its really sad to see a country that follows old traditions and still implies and solidifies cultural acceptance barriers which makes this a religious country, yet with a violent people on a regular basis (literally anything triggers anyone) and wants to stay away from technology (unless its the bible or a live stream of the vatican on your mobile gadget) as much as possible, and its not just the import\transportation taxes to blame .-.

Your instantly judged negatively for liking videogames and its not like their doing anything good other than only seeing the afterlife as the true life either x.X.

I accept going to the US, Germany, UK, China, Japan, etc. Seriously, i need technology and nature combined and this nation, especially this island that cant have both.

Rip me :(. Switzerland is also a great option!

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Rip me :(. Switzerland is also a great option!

So, Switzerland is the last option you'd like to go to out of those choices?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

-snip-

No i meant as being a great option, probably one of the better ones, but yeah im using the phone and its a pain to post and edit xD.

Ugh, real estate is insanely expensive there though.

Groomlake Authority