South Korea makes game modding illegal

zMeul

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/286852/South_Korea_cracks_down_on_cheaters_with_law_targeting_illicit_game_mods.php

ks-lgflag.gif

there are two kinds of mods someone can make

• benign ones - like HD texture packs, sound mods ..
  • cheats - aimbots

South Korea just passed an amendment to a law that promotes the game industry; the said amendment outright bans creation and distribution of software that are not allowed by the game's publisher / developer and their respective Terms of Service

In theory, this makes it easier for the creators of competitive games to crack down on things like hacking programs, aimbots, and other game mods that give players an unfair advantage in online play.

Violation of the amended law also comes with a hefty penalty; those found guilty could face up to 5 years in jail or roughly $43,000 in fines.

in practice, the law is so ambiguous that it also can be used to outright outlaw the said benign mods

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:
  • benign ones - like HD texture packs, sound mods .

Might want to change this to say "cosmetic".

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It is understandable as South Korea is one of the biggest country in esports.

But then, now I can not put my CS GO configs and scripts in Korea anymore :(

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I gave examples as not all benign mods are cosmetic

sound mods aren't cosmetic

cosmetic to your ears

Phew, for a second i thought this was going to affect their skyrim modding.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I gave examples as not all benign mods are cosmetic

sound mods aren't cosmetic

Cosmetic mods can give an online advantage 

How about "Mods that don't advantage one player over another"

55 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Cosmetic mods can give an online advantage 

How about "Mods that don't advantage one player over another"

this is not about on-line games, it's about crossing the ToS / EULA - the law amendment makes absolutely no distinction whatsoever

We're supposed to take a country with a feminist shadow government and exploding phones seriously? 

I kinda think it's dumb, like I guess I understand for like online stuff. Though for private single player stuff it doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean third party airplanes in games like Xplane or FSX would be illegal, if so. Will want to be sure I don't travel to S. Korea with a computer that has third party airplanes on FSX or Xplane.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

What about games that allow modding like fallout 4? O_o

If the developer designed the game with modding in mind and released tools to do it, it would be silly that you can't use them from the gov >_>

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

39 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

What about games that allow modding like fallout 4? O_o

If the developer designed the game with modding in mind and released tools to do it, it would be silly that you can't use them from the gov >_>

the said amendment outright bans creation and distribution of software that are not allowed by the game's publisher / developer and their respective Terms of Service

So if the game developers allow modding then you can do it as long as you keep to the ToS.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

This is what happens when you let old people who don't understand anything, pass laws and tell people what to do.

Did you read the article ? This is actually a good thing.

manufacturing and distributing programs that are not allowed by the game company and its Terms of Service is now directly illegal.

So what's not to like here ? I guess cheaters may not like this. I guess I should expect much less hacks from South Korea.

source: https://pvplive.net/c/south-korea-passes-bill-to-directly-punish-hack-ma ( gamasutra article is pos )

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Cheat in test, expelled. 

Cheat in video game, arrested. 

Young man, please make your statement at the police station.

I... i... just wanted to make my horse pink. 

A developer isn't gonna go and sue you for making your horse pink. This law is made to make the life of riot and blizzard easier in suing cheat makers and distributors. 

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

I kinda think it's dumb, like I guess I understand for like online stuff. Though for private single player stuff it doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean third party airplanes in games like Xplane or FSX would be illegal, if so. Will want to be sure I don't travel to S. Korea with a computer that has third party airplanes on FSX or Xplane.

This law won't effect you then. Do you actually think MS will go and sue you for using third party airplanes in FSX ?  Why do you think it's dump ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

3 minutes ago, cesrai said:

So what's not to like here ? I guess cheaters may not like this. I guess I should expect much less hacks from South Korea.

source: https://pvplive.net/c/south-korea-passes-bill-to-directly-punish-hack-ma ( gamasutra article is pos )

the original PVPLive article is a one sided piece of shit, that's why I didn't linked it in the OP

3 minutes ago, cesrai said:

This law won't effect you then. Do you actually think MS will go and sue you for using third party airplanes in FSX ?  Why do you think it's dump ??

see, that's where you fell off the cliff

MS won't sue you, the SK gov will send you to jail

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the original PVPLive article is a one sided piece of shit, that's why I didn't linked it in the OP

And it's one sided because ? 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

see, that's where you fell off the cliff

MS won't sue you, the SK gov will send you to jail

Yeah sure thing. Link me a case where the SK government goes after someone and sues them for mooding FSX or games like it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

10 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Still has a lot of potential of abuse, we are in a world where patent trolls exist after all. Won't be surprised if some developer or publisher decides to sue someone because he modded his game just for money rather than preventing hacks.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, cesrai said:

And it's one sided because ? 

Yeah sure thing. Link me a case where the SK government goes after someone and sues them for mooding FSX or games like it.

it's a 43000$ fine - hell yeah they will

please tell me, how bad you have to screw up in your country to get fined 43k USD or be sent to jail?

4 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Still has a lot of potential of abuse, we are in a world where patent trolls exist after all. Won't be surprised if some developer or publisher decides to sue someone because he modded his game just for money rather than preventing hacks.

We will have to wait and see then. Personally I don't think it will happen and I'm not sure it's gonna be this easy to abuse as you and zemul picture it.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's a 43000$ fine - hell yeah they will

please tell me, how bad you have to screw up in your country to get fined 43k USD or be sent to jail?

Maybe where you live your government would go after pocket change. But I don't think it will happen in SK and when that does please tell me and I will eat my words happily.

In UAE you would have to fuck up really badly or commit a cyber crime like hacking and such ( as the government are kinda cracking down on cyber crimes )

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ