The return of Hall Effect Switches

Most of today's mechanical keyboard uses cherry mx, and others, like logitech with their romer-g. Now another type of mechanical switch has made a reappearance, the hall effect switch. Comparing to the cherry mx, where it uses two physical components to work, hall effect switch uses magnetism, with a spring to add physical resistance. While cherry mx is rated at tens of million clicks. Hall Effect are rated at tens of billion clicks. Early keyboard had them, then it went out, due to their expensive manufacturing. Now with a new manufacturing process which is cheaper and easier, future mechanical keyboard may once again use this type of switch.

Video demonstration in the link below

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-hall-effect-switches-work,33105.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

HEY! Is there some kind of diagram or something for one of these?

Edit: The video explains it, but it's a whole FOUR MINUTE investment!

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

That's nice. But how does it compare to cherry MX?

also I don't believe I have gone through millions of keyboard or mouse clicks because I've used the same mouse and keyboard from 2008-2016 (I gamed a lot more back in 2011-2015 and I barely game now) and it still works fine. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The Steam Controller's triggers use Hall effect sensors... So I guess I'm down for it.

Haven't watched the video, so I'm not sure if it's mentioned, but they'd also allow for throttle much the same way optical switches do.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Well very nice. Though how do these compare to the optical keyboard switches.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-are-optical-keyboard-switches,32352.html

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Ah, this is about the XMIT hall effect board? it was super popular at Massdrop, and sold over 1000 units. I did join the drop, but sadly had complications so I backed out. I believe it won't ship until February so it'll be some time until people get their hands on it

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Honestly, reliability was never an issue for me. And I like the feedback mechanical switches can provide.

Might be good for someone who's into Reds/Blacks and likes to hammer a key though.

I suspect one could easily add feedback to the switch, since the actual mechanics of it are so dead simple.

I wonder how one would implement active haptic feedback on each switch...

Couldn't use transducers, 'cause those would interfere with the switch...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

3 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I suspect one could easily add feedback to the switch, since the actual mechanics of it are so dead simple.

I wonder how one would implement active haptic feedback on each switch...

Couldn't use transducers, 'cause those would interfere with the switch...

Make the spring buckle

Two of the greatest switch styles into one

It would be a pain to miniaturize though.

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

I would pay more for a mice if I wouldn't had to open it every ~6 months to retension the leaf spring ... fucking OMRON POS

I have never heard of anyone doing that. What mouse are you using?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I have never heard of anyone doing that. What mouse are you using?

it's not the mouse, it's the fucking switches .. OMRON; my older Logitech exhibited same issue

I've lost one of the leaf springs in my left button and salvaged one from a older MS wireless mouse - guess what?! the spring tension still holds

my guess is that OMRON cheaped out and manufactures the leaf springs with a different alloy, softer

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's not the mouse, it's the fucking switches .. OMRON; my older Logitech exhibited same issue

I've lost one of the leaf springs in my left button and salvaged one from a older MS wireless mouse - guess what?! the spring tension still holds

my guess is that OMRON cheaped out and manufactures the leaf springs with a different alloy, softer

I meant which mouse just to check if there was a reported issue on the model with springs, but if it's on 2 mice then that's really interesting. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I meant which mouse just to check if there was a reported issue on the model with springs, but if it's on 2 mice then that's really interesting. 

two mice!? mate .. check YT, reddit, other forums .. people are complaining left and right about Logitech mice and their OMRON switches - they are shit

I stopped investing in expensive mice because of it

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

two mice!? mate .. check YT, reddit, other forums .. people are complaining left and right about Logitech mice and their OMRON switches - they are shit

I stopped investing in expensive mice because of it

2 mice on your side mate. Well I'll be buying G403 next month instead of a Zowie as it seems so I'll be sure to check that myself after some time. 

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's a bit pricy -_-

So is every mouse here. :D I'm buying for some time though, to last me 2-3 years

Just now, Bouzoo said:

So is every mouse here. :D I'm buying for some time though, to last me 2-3 years

also buy a pack of 5-10 microswitches xD

there was a G403 sale during the black friday weekend for half price. but i'll bet that the sensor won't last very long, like the g303 i had previously. and in addition there's an awful scroll wheel rattle, which mines exhibits to my dismay. 

I'll buy one !

I dont like the clicky ... 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My logitech g700 had the microswitch problem. Tried to fix it, fix failed. Got a g502. Fast forward 1 year later. Now my logitech anywhere mx is doing the same thing. Should i get another logitech? Got a corsair scimitar instead. Will have to see how long both of these will last. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

As a keyboard aficionado - Hall Effect switches are the Holy Grail, especially given they are working on modernizing the Hall-Effect clicky, linear clicky, and tactile switches for the next run in later April.  This is currently the keyboard renaissance all over again, given ALPS are making a return through i-Rocks, using Cherry compatible ALPS-designs, albeit nobody will ever likely remake ALPS SKCM Greens or Yellows, or the glory that was Complicated Blues, but the fact someone is doing Hall Effect is great.  Hall Effect > Alps > Topre > Buckling Springs > Gateron > Cherry MX.  It's still the greatest shame that Cherry was the one that won in the end.  ALPS simplified and especially the complicated series were, and are still to this day - leagues upon leagues better than cherry by design alone, and then on feel.

5 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

As a keyboard aficionado - Hall Effect switches are the Holy Grail, especially given they are working on modernizing the Hall-Effect clicky, linear clicky, and tactile switches for the next run in later April.  This is currently the keyboard renaissance all over again, given ALPS are making a return through i-Rocks, using Cherry compatible ALPS-designs, albeit nobody will ever likely remake ALPS SKCM Greens or Yellows, or the glory that was Complicated Blues, but the fact someone is doing Hall Effect is great.  Hall Effect > Alps > Topre > Buckling Springs > Gateron > Cherry MX.  It's still the greatest shame that Cherry was the one that won in the end.  ALPS simplified and especially the complicated series were, and are still to this day - leagues upon leagues better than cherry by design alone, and then on feel.

I'm curious but how many keyboards have you tried out (and own)? 

I have never had a keyboard die but then I don't work 40 hours a week as a data entry person. I see keyboards die when they get drinks spilled on them. my $10 keyboard must be a decade old now

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

17 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Most of todays mechanical keyboard uses cherry mx, and others, like logitech with their romer-g. Now another type of mechanical switch has made a reappearance, the hall effect switch. Comparing to the cherry mx, where it uses two physical components to work, hall effect switch uses magnetism, with a spring to add phyiscal resistance. While cherry mx is rated at tens of millon clicks. Hall Effect are rated at tens of billion clicks. Early keyboard had them, then it went out, due to their expensive manfacturing. Now with a new manufacturing process which is cheaper and easier, future mechanical keyboard may once again use this type of switch.

Video demonstration in the link below

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-hall-effect-switches-work,33105.html

post formatting is wrong. please fix.