Don't plug 2 chargers on your new 13/15inch MacBook Pro.... you'll break your system.

GoodBytes
1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

Well that old macbook has a better specs than the new one.

maybe thats why.

They've got better spec'd Windows Machines, Alienware, Lenovo, custom, etc. for less.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

who said that the $300 Apple book is a great buy

most likely he was sarcastic, he shot it afterwards with a 9mm pistol

13 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

"my desktop is Type C, my Laptop is Type C, my phone is Type C, my flash drives are Type C, my headphones are Type C, and my displays are Type C. I can use my flash drives, headphones, and displays with my desktop, laptop, and phone, I can use the same chargers and cables to charge both my laptop and phone, and I can use the same cable(s) to connect my laptop and phone to my desktop." - If everything were Type C(which we are moving in that direction), I don't see any need for adapters.

Someday, I hope keyboards(mice?), "audio gear", external storage, external GPU's, and companion devices(phones, tablets, laptops) are type C, just so we don't need to carry unique cables and chargers around.

I bet you charge your laptop(if applicable) with a different charger than your phone, don't you? That's two (unique) chargers you have to carry... "elegant".

Maybe, but currently you have the "elegant solution" in the form of a crap ton of adapters. And BTW my laptop would fry that port with its 130+W charger...

13 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

"my desktop is Type C, my Laptop is Type C, my phone is Type C, my flash drives are Type C, my headphones are Type C, and my displays are Type C. I can use my flash drives, headphones, and displays with my desktop, laptop, and phone, I can use the same chargers and cables to charge both my laptop and phone, and I can use the same cable(s) to connect my laptop and phone to my desktop." - If everything were Type C(which we are moving in that direction), I don't see any need for adapters.

Dear visitor from 2025, I'm glad things worked out so well in the end. That gives some sense of meaning to the pain we are made to endure today.

I'm old enough to remember the days when we were moving in the FireWire direction, and then in the Thunderbolt direction, so I kind of needed this reassurance :) 

12 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

-snip-

USB Type C has been the most "inelegant" solution because of all the charging problems it had originally. Who knows whether these different cables can charge different devices without destroying them.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Maybe, but currently you have the "elegant solution" in the form of a crap ton of adapters. And BTW my laptop would fry that port with its 130+W charger...

Adapting to new standards is never pretty, I remember consolidating PS/2, RS-232, Parallel, and GamePort in to a single connector(USB 2.0) was a pain in the ass(either adapters or new equipment), but it was worth it in the end(I rarely ever use PS/2 and RS-232 anymore, and havent used Parallel and GamePort in ages).

Now that my desktop, laptop, phone(s), and flashdrives are Type C, I find it an inconvenience when I have to use something else. 

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Dear visitor from 2025, I'm glad things worked out so well in the end. That gives some sense of meaning to the pain we are made to endure today.

I'm old enough to remember the days when we were moving in the FireWire direction, and then in the Thunderbolt direction, so I kind of needed this reassurance :) 

Lol, but Type C is here to stay.

1 minute ago, dragosudeki said:

USB Type C has been the most "inelegant" solution because of all the charging problems it had originally. Who knows whether these different cables can charge different devices without destroying them.

When has a new standard not had any problems at its start? Seriously, PS/2, RS-232, Parallel, Ethernet, GamePort, USB 1.0(and 2.0, and 3.0, and 3.1), VGA, DVI, HDMI, Display Port, AGP, PCI, PCI-e, and many more have given me(and others) problems over the years(since I have been an early adopter for most of them), and they all worked out in the end. Yeah, Type C is having a rough start, big deal...

There's so far only one video and it didn't break anything rather showed a message not charging

This happens whenever your laptop is close to full charge but obviously blind haters like @GoodBytes will always jump into conclusions

I don't know. You have to be pretty idiotic to plug multiple chargers into your computer.

*Grabs obviously white cord* Oh I forgot to plug my computer in. *Pulls it up by port* "Oh what is this other white cord plugged into my computer?" "Oh I already have it plugged in!" "Stupid me"

I'd like to see the same test on other USBC charging computers.

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Adapting to new standards is never pretty, I remember consolidating PS/2, RS-232, Parallel, and GamePort in to a single connector(USB 2.0) was a pain in the ass(either adapters or new equipment), but it was worth it in the end(I rarely ever use PS/2 and RS-232 anymore, and havent used Parallel and GamePort in ages).

Now that my desktop, laptop, phone(s), and flashdrives are Type C, I find it an inconvenience when I have to use something else.

You missing an important thing, the things you listed are coexisted for a period of time to make the shift easier. In this case they just dumped all of them and force you to buy adapters, and to top it off if my memory serves me correctly this is a newer version which is not backward compatible. Compared to this mess what you just mentioned is just inconvenience... 9_9

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

There's so far only one video and it didn't break anything rather showed a message not charging

This happens whenever your laptop is close to full charge but obviously blind haters like @GoodBytes will always jump into conclusions

Did he try to restart the computer and try to charge it again? I only scrubbed through the video.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But they all might request charging current, and now the circuit is exposed to 4x as much current.

that's not quite right

current only flows if the component requires it, you don't force current into a component

the problem I see is that the battery charging circuitry can accept that much current but the circuit itself was not designed (thermally or otherwise) to withstand that much current through it

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

You missing an important thing, the things you listed are coexisted for a period of time to make the shift easier. In this case they just dumped all of them and force you to buy adapters, and to top it off if my memory serves me correctly this is a newer version which is not backward compatible. Compared to this mess what you just mentioned is just inconvenience... 9_9

You think these things WON'T coexist for a while? We'll be seeing normal USB 3.1 for many years to come. Eventually usb C (or something better) will take over.

Just now, corrado33 said:

Did he try to restart the computer and try to charge it again? I only scrubbed through the video.

Whatever it is, if the battery is close to full MacBooks dont charge. What he should've done was intentionally drain the battery and then try again. He didn't do a thorough testing

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

(who said that the $300 Apple book is a great buy)

Aaaand there goes any credibility I might have had for this channel...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Whatever it is, if the battery is close to full MacBooks dont charge. What he should've done was intentionally drain the battery and then try again. He didn't do a thorough testing

I agree.

The computer obviously still recognizes the charger (it dings when he turns the power on) and the battery still obviously works (it's still on when the power is off.) So I'd say if he drained the battery I bet it'd recharge. He could have at least run the freaking apple hardware test. 

But it's much easier to jump on the apple hate train (because it's the "cool" thing to do.) 

Again, I'd love to see the same test with other devices. 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I don't know. You have to be pretty idiotic to plug multiple chargers into your computer.

*Grabs obviously white cord* Oh I forgot to plug my computer in. *Pulls it up by port* "Oh what is this other white cord plugged into my computer?" "Oh I already have it plugged in!" "Stupid me"

Except, a USB-C cable is a USB-C cable... If you have a white USB-C cable connected to your charger, and another white USB-C cable connected to, say, your iPhone, how are you going to tell the difference at a quick glance without following where the cables actually go?

The point being, let's say you're in the Library at College, on your 2016 Macbook Pro. You've got your laptop plugged in and charging via USB-C. You've got your iPhone sitting beside you on the left hand side - you plugged in the lightning connector when you sat down, but didn't connect it to the laptop. You knew that in 20 minutes or so, you'd want to sync some music.

Now your buddy enters the Library, he just finished class, and drops into the seat to the left of you. He whips out his 2016 Macbook Pro too, and drops his charger behind his laptop. The USB-C end of the cable happens to fall to the right of him, landing ungracefully in between your two laptops.

Now that you've finished that dank new playlist, you need to sync some music, so you decide "I'll plug in my iPhone". You reach over to the left and grab the USB-C cable that you see sitting there, not really thinking about it because it's not a task that requires a lot of brain power, and that's where you remember your cable lying.

Oh shit! You just plugged in your buddies charger, and now your computer is fucked.

See the problem with that scenario? It could easily happen to anyone.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Let's make everything USB C they said. It will be awesome they said. That PC is a joke.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You think these things WON'T coexist for a while? We'll be seeing normal USB 3.1 for many years to come. Eventually usb C (or something better) will take over.

On the laptops and PC's yes, but we talking about macbooks here(as the topic name suggests, i thought it was obvious)...

7 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Aaaand there goes any credibility I might have had for this channel...

To be fair, people are saying he actually shot it with a 9mm pistol.

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I agree.

The computer obviously still recognizes the charger (it dings when he turns the power on) and the battery still obviously works (it's still on when the power is off.) So I'd say if he drained the battery I bet it'd recharge. He could have at least run the freaking apple hardware test. 

But it's much easier to jump on the apple hate train (because it's the "cool" thing to do.) 

Again, I'd love to see the same test with other devices. 

Indeed it's possible his results are not accurate.

I'd love it if some third parties retested his hypothesis with tighter test procedures to rule out the variables. @nicklmg, good ideal for LMG to jump on before someone else beats you to it!

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Except, a USB-C cable is a USB-C cable... If you have a white USB-C cable connected to your charger, and another white USB-C cable connected to, say, your iPhone, how are you going to tell the difference at a quick glance without following where the cables actually go?

The point being, let's say you're in the Library at College, on your 2016 Macbook Pro. You've got your laptop plugged in and charging via USB-C. You've got your iPhone sitting beside you on the left hand side - you plugged in the lightning connector when you sat down, but didn't connect it to the laptop. You knew that in 20 minutes or so, you'd want to sync some music.

Now your buddy enters the Library, he just finished class, and drops into the seat to the left of you. He whips out his 2016 Macbook Pro too, and drops his charger behind his laptop. The USB-C end of the cable happens to fall to the right of him, landing ungracefully in between your two laptops.

Now that you've finished that dank new playlist, you need to sync some music, so you decide "I'll plug in my iPhone". You reach over to the left and grab the USB-C cable that you see sitting there, not really thinking about it because it's not a task that requires a lot of brain power, and that's where you remember your cable lying.

Oh shit! You just plugged in your buddies charger, and now your computer is fucked.

See the problem with that scenario? It could easily happen to anyone.

I know virtually zero people who would plug the phone end in their phone without plugging the other end into something else at the same time. People use their phones all the time, no one wants it to be plugged in when it doesn't need to be. Your situation is extremely unlikely. 

11 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Lol, but Type C is here to stay.

Until they run out of bandwidth and want more pins.

In 2025 we will probably be using type-D to type-C, type-B and type-A adapters (and likely still HDMI an DP among others).

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

There will be many people who will think since you can charge in all the ports, you might be able to charge faster with 2 or more adapters simultaneously. Then pop.

I have no doubt there will be poorly manufactured type-C charging devices that will die spectacularly due to this.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

On the laptops and PC's yes, but we talking about macbooks here(as the topic name suggests, i thought it was obvious)...

Which are laptops and PC's....

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Until they run out of bandwidth and want more pins.

In 2025 we will probably be using type-D to type-C, type-B and type-A adapters (and likely still HDMI an DP among others).

There will be many people who will think since you can charge in all the ports, you might be able to charge faster with 2 or more adapters simultaneously. Then pop.

I have no doubt there will be poorly manufactured type-C charging devices that will die spectacularly due to this.

Who is going to have multiple mac power adapters with USB C? Surely not the college kids these computer are popular with. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I know virtually zero people who would plug the phone end in their phone without plugging the other end into something else at the same time. People use their phones all the time, no one wants it to be plugged in when it doesn't need to be. Your situation is extremely unlikely. 

Alright, so replace phone with "USB-C mouse that happens to have white cable", or "USB-C Headphones", or "USB-C external HDD".

Point being, if the cable is white, you could VERY EASILY plug the wrong thing into it. You could, for example, extremely easily plug in 2 chargers by accident.

It might be unlikely, but statistically speaking, it WILL happen multiple times, especially given how apparently multiple million units have been pre-ordered/sold already.

You know... this would NEVER have happened if they just stuck to the old proprietary connector.

I swear... trying to make everything work under one system just causes way too many issues.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus