Don't plug 2 chargers on your new 13/15inch MacBook Pro.... you'll break your system.

GoodBytes
2 minutes ago, tlink said:

the macbooks are dualcores, they always have been and they are specifically designed to be low power usage, they do this by compromising on other things such as raw performance. you have to understand that cpu's are way past their rapid development stage. intel made a 20nm jump in 2008, we will never be doing that again unless there will be some revolutionary physics breakthrough. we will be making 3nm or 4nm jumps from now on, until eventually the industry stalls and it will just be optimizing architectures which is also very limited. also, apple laptops NEVER had big powerbricks they always where around 55 watts. but most phone chargers can easily fit into any pocket, none of the apple laptop chargers can. 

Why are you telling me this? You can buy the 29 watt61 watt, and 87 watt right now and they are all compact(and I can fit the 29/61 watt in my pocket, even though my pockets are tiny). Apple isn't the only one that makes compact chargers either, so given that most "every day" laptops use sub 65w I don't see the issue(sure high end laptops will need bigger adapters, or 100w+, but this market is relatively small).

29 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Like we did with USB 1.0 and 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0?  I know 3.0/3.1 use more pins than 2.0/1.1/1.0, but at least they were all(on some level) compatible. I don't see any reason why Type C cant be upgraded, or have some level of backwards/forwards compatibility. I had USB ports starting in the 90's, what if I have Type C ports in the 30's?(2030's fuck this makes me feel old)

The type-A port for 3.0 was quite different with an increase in pin density (although backwards compatible-ish), type-C is already pretty pin dense. It isn't really something we have to worry about, for a while, but they could expand it by putting another row of pins next to it like the USB 3.0 micro-B revision to maintain compatibility.

It is probably more likely that optical connections would be used for bandwidth hungry applications.

I would expect that the superseding standard will come along well before USB 2.0 type A is out of common usage, and type-C would likely be around much longer than that. Either way we will still have to deal with an array of adapters for a long time.

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Pretty much only one person has experienced that and that is the infamous and arrogant Louis

What makes him arrogant? He's someone who fixes Apple laptops all the time for a living, I'd say it's safe to assume that he knows more about Apple laptops and everything wrong with their design, ranging from the cases to the electrical design, than you, GoodBytes, or... well, really, anyone else here, based on his experience alone.

If it's his behavior... I'm from the northeastern US, as is Rossmann. Everyone is like that.

More evidence of core rot at Apple. The upper echelons are so busy navel gazing and blowing smoke up their own asses that they have no clue what is going on down in the trenches of their company where actual development takes place.

For awhile, these kinds of braind-dead problems were mostly limited to Mac OS, but it seems that it has spread to their Mac hardware line as well.

It's just embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

What makes him arrogant? He's someone who fixes Apple laptops all the time for a living, I'd say it's safe to assume that he knows more about Apple laptops and everything wrong with their design, ranging from the cases to the electrical design, than you, GoodBytes, or... well, really, anyone else here, based on his experience alone.

If it's his behavior... I'm from the northeastern US, as is Rossmann. Everyone is like that.

From nyc. Can confirm. We are all like this. Aint got time to tip toe around peoples feelings. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

This is basic stuff. It's not hard to implement charging from multiple sources and even easier to build a failsafe for if you do attempt to charge from multiple sources.

I wonder if that can be fixed with an update. If the laptop can ignore additional power sources then it shouldn't break! Simple fix, I hope!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I wonder if that can be fixed with an update. If the laptop can ignore additional power sources then it shouldn't break! Simple fix, I hope!

I'm really surprised that they hadn't thought of that. Same for the USB killer thing, and for other stuff. I'm not that old, but I used to look at Apple's products and say "this is why people like it, it's the attention to the details that makes what Apple it". Guess that they changed a bit since then :P 

2 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

I'm really surprised that they hadn't thought of that. Same for the USB killer thing, and for other stuff. I'm not that old, but I used to look at Apple's products and say "this is why people like it, it's the attention to the details that makes what Apple it". Guess that they changed a bit since then :P 

I can understand them overlooking the USB killer since a USB device shouldn't do what the killer does, but they must have known about this. They advertise being able to charge it from either side as a selling point!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

9 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

From nyc. Can confirm. We are all like this. Aint got time to tip toe around peoples feelings. 

We're pretty arrogant too, over here in southeastern Massachusetts.

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

I can understand them overlooking the USB killer since a USB device shouldn't do what the killer does, but they must have known about this. They advertise being able to charge it from either side as a selling point!

Yeah, exactly ! Plus if other Macs have this kind of protection, why not putting it in the flagship? :P

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

Yeah, exactly ! Plus if other Macs have this kind of protection, why not putting it in the flagship? :P

I'm tempted to say "So they can make more money" but I feel like they wouldn't go that far. 

Is that a new feature?

Oh, wait. Apple doesn't have features anymore. Just problems. *dodges barrage of bullets*

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

4 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I'm tempted to say "So they can make more money" but I feel like they wouldn't go that far. 

Well.. Selling 80€ dongles for something we had free last year isn't that far from what you said. 

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

Well.. Selling 80€ dongles for something we had free last year isn't that far from what you said. 

Great point! It's not. Maybe we'll have a new -gate on our hands. Chargegate or USBCAppleMacBookChargeFailSucksgate.

15 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

how is charging through c a benefit?

this doesn't happen with magsafe

which makes the type-c for charging regressive in comparison 

and th magsafe port doesn't even need to be soldered on the mobo, it can stay on it's own as a daughterboard and plug in with a ribbon a cable or something like that without making any major changes to the mobo

Imagine an external monitor that supplies power, display and data over a single USB-C cable. You get all this simply by plugging a single cable to your laptop, compared to 2-4 cables today. 

Under the right setup, it can be a real convenience. 

16 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

This is moronic. How the fuck did nobody at Apple ever get their heads around that case?

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

That is right! Apparently, there are no fail safe mechanism in place for the newly released Apple MacBook Pro 13 and 15inch, if you plug 2 or more power adapters into it by mistake. Say, you are at the library with another friend with the same system, and you exchange cables/adapters, and accidentally plug his charger in with yours (just a possible example), your MacBook Pro will no longer charge your battery, ever. It seems that the charging circuit breaks when you plug 2 chargers in.

So according to Apple, they did think of this and do have failsafes and mechanisms in place to deal with this issue. 

You can can read more about it here on this MacBook Pro info article, or just believe one youtuber who is absolutely not just doing this shit for the views and ad money. 

Quote:

"

• Your MacBook Pro draws power from only one power supply, even if more than one is attached—so using multiple power supplies will not speed up charging. 
  • If you connect multiple power supplies to your MacBook Pro, the one that provides the most power will be used, regardless of the order in which you connected them. "

3 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

So according to Apple, they did think of this and do have failsafes and mechanisms in place to deal with this issue. 

You can can read more about it here on this MacBook Pro info article, or just believe one youtuber who is absolutely not just doing this shit for the views and ad money. 

Quote:

"

• Your MacBook Pro draws power from only one power supply, even if more than one is attached—so using multiple power supplies will not speed up charging. 
  • If you connect multiple power supplies to your MacBook Pro, the one that provides the most power will be used, regardless of the order in which you connected them. "

So one side is lying? 

Do I see a future Linus video? 

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup. On the same video, you see him yanking the power cord as a test, and you can see that USB type-C connector holds so well, that the cable and port broke. So, imagine an actual trip... your system will fly off the table, hit the floor hard (breaking something possibly), your power cord is broken, and your USB Type-C cord is also potentially broken.

Surface Master Race :D. Never worry about laptops flying anywhere.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, Daring said:

Definitely his behavior. Rossmann is a smart guy, and I haven't been able to disagree with his opinions on the few videos that I have watched, but I find it very hard to watch his videos. I respect what he does, but if I ever met him I would likely politely ask him to tone it down a little, apologise, then offer him a Mintie.

5 minutes ago, daniielrp said:
  • If you connect multiple power supplies to your MacBook Pro, the one that provides the most power will be used, regardless of the order in which you connected them. 

They clearly expected a situation where two power supplies were used, Although they seem to have assumed that one would deliver more power than the other, but what if both power supplies are of equal power. The poor Macbook might not know which one to choose, and could get freaked out then explode. /s

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Definitely his behavior. Rossmann is a smart guy, and I haven't been able to disagree with his opinions on the few videos that I have watched, but I find it very hard to watch his videos. I respect what he does, but if I ever met him I would likely politely ask him to tone it down a little, apologise, then offer him a Mintie.

They clearly expected a situation where two power supplies were used, Although they seem to have assumed that one would deliver more power than the other, but what if both power supplies are of equal power. The poor Macbook might not know which one to choose, and could get freaked out then explode. /s

Then the first point should apply, it'll only draw power from one.

1 minute ago, daniielrp said:

Then the first point should apply, it'll only draw power from one.

But which one? You can't expect a Macbook to make complex life altering decisions like "port 1" or "port 2", it is just too much stress for a notebook.

39 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Quote:

@GoodBytes I think you should update your OP but you won't, won't you?